Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 02:59 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Thanks, Zacatecana....from a Navy veteran. Back in 'my day', the US Navy included many Filipinos, who were able to gain US citizenship by enlisting for one 'hitch' (4 years). That was legal, but it was a 'special case'.

As to whether illegal immigrants in the military should be deported, that's a tough one. Probably I'd have to say "no"....but then, the military shouldn't enlist illegals. Those who serve honorably should be 'grandfathered in', but the burden should be on the military not to enlist illegals.

Fair enough question, though..and thanks again...
Just so you know. Illegals are not allowed to serve in our military. The only way they could is through a corrupt recruiter or with some very good fake papers. If it is the former then the recruiter should serve some jail time and the illegal not gain beneift of citizenship through corruption. Either way the law is the law and no one should benefit through corruption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 03:05 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Thanks, Zacatecana....from a Navy veteran. Back in 'my day', the US Navy included many Filipinos, who were able to gain US citizenship by enlisting for one 'hitch' (4 years). That was legal, but it was a 'special case'.

As to whether illegal immigrants in the military should be deported, that's a tough one. Probably I'd have to say "no"....but then, the military shouldn't enlist illegals. Those who serve honorably should be 'grandfathered in', but the burden should be on the military not to enlist illegals.

Fair enough question, though..and thanks again...
Like yourself I too am a navy veteran. I also knew a few Filipino's who gained citizenship through service. Filipino's are in deed a special case. Formerly a terratory of the USA and a long and proud history of fighting along side us when we needed help the most. Also at one time the 2nd home port of the 7th fleet. Those individuals were rewarded because they followed the rules. No fake papers, no dishonesty.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:46 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I didn’t realize the full extent of this thread, because I only see the title. In any case, we do not have illegal aliens serving in our military. We have non-citizen green card holders.
I don’t know the particulars of this case, but a law was recently passed granting instant green cards to the widow(er)s of U.S. citizens -- and they need not be serving in our military. Unfortunately, there are many illegals who marry for the expressed purpose of gaining citizenship. If the death of a spouse will provide them with the legalization they seek, I think this may unwittingly result in the “accidental” deaths of many citizens.
I apologize, I was not clear on title about the intent of the thread. I requested the title changed to reflect the topic. I dont know if the mods will grant it.

At any case, we have always had illegal immigrants serving in our military. The issue at hand is not the family. I have revived an old thread with my thoughts on that. This thread is specifically for illegal immigrants serving our country.

I have known many people myself. To name one, a very close friend of mine who is a legal resident, married an illegal immigrant who enlisted in the military before they got married. His brother followed after a year. He became a sargent and is currently back from Iraq. He has citizenship but he has also been serving for at least 10 years.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:54 PM

Anyway, I think the font size messed it up...you can look at the info on this website...

www.cdva.ca.gov

Old 11-11-2009, 04:19 PM

Here is the link to that info, macmeal!

Gov. Schwarzenegger Announces $5 Million in Recovery Act Job Training Grants to Help Over 1,400 California Veterans Move Quickly Into High-Quality Civilian Jobs (http://gov.ca.gov/press-release/13838/ - broken link)

Old 11-11-2009, 09:22 PM

706 posts, read 940,095 times
To combine a "Thanks to Veterans" post with anything other than a simple thanks for their service demeans their service.... and Your post of "thanks."

All Veterans, regardless of their status, deserve our gratitude....not a freakin poll !

jmo,
bl

Old 11-12-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
To combine a "Thanks to Veterans" post with anything other than a simple thanks for their service demeans their service.... and Your post of "thanks."

All Veterans, regardless of their status, deserve our gratitude....not a freakin poll !

jmo,
bl

Difference in opinion. My thank you was from the bottom of my heart. Many here know, this is not the only subject I'm an advocate for. Further more, this is ultimately the "illegal immigration forum".

Old 11-12-2009, 11:23 AM

706 posts, read 940,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Difference in opinion. My thank you was from the bottom of my heart. Many here know, this is not the only subject I'm an advocate for. Further more, this is ultimately the "illegal immigration forum".
Zacatecana,
A few friends and I attended a ceremony yesterday at Los Alamitos. At 2:00 they honored a WW2 vet for his service to our country while in Europe. They announced Manual Diaz,and he stepped up,in uniform and received his Bronze Star. He looked to be in his 80's and this caused some anger in us as to why it took so long to recognize this Mans service.

As we left the service, not one person in our group thought of the legal status of Mr. Diaz, but we were thankful for what he did ,fighting for us (kids at the time) and thankful that we had people such as this on our side.
Ethnicity, legal status or heritage never came up. (except when Marc said he wished Mr. Diaz were Italian).

The ceremony was quite short but very moving. It was completely free of politics and ideologies....it was simply to honor a man who put his butt on the line for his country...and his country was finally thanking him for his efforts. And I'll tell You....It made me feel proud and thankful to have participated in the event.

When I got home and re-read Your post, I thought of that ceremony, and I guess that is what set me off....
I appreciate You concern for Veterans and Your heartfelt thanks and I, in no way, meant to diminish either of those efforts. I just felt that thw "thanks" would have been sufficient by itself and the "question" left for a separate thread.

Regards and respect to You..... and now time to pack up and get ready to leave for the mountain campout.

Be Well.
http://www.ocregister.com/news/diaz-...-war-star.html

Last edited by borderlord; 11-12-2009 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: add link

Old 11-13-2009, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
Zacatecana,
A few friends and I attended a ceremony yesterday at Los Alamitos. At 2:00 they honored a WW2 vet for his service to our country while in Europe. They announced Manual Diaz,and he stepped up,in uniform and received his Bronze Star. He looked to be in his 80's and this caused some anger in us as to why it took so long to recognize this Mans service.

As we left the service, not one person in our group thought of the legal status of Mr. Diaz, but we were thankful for what he did ,fighting for us (kids at the time) and thankful that we had people such as this on our side.
Ethnicity, legal status or heritage never came up. (except when Marc said he wished Mr. Diaz were Italian).

The ceremony was quite short but very moving. It was completely free of politics and ideologies....it was simply to honor a man who put his butt on the line for his country...and his country was finally thanking him for his efforts. And I'll tell You....It made me feel proud and thankful to have participated in the event.

When I got home and re-read Your post, I thought of that ceremony, and I guess that is what set me off....
I appreciate You concern for Veterans and Your heartfelt thanks and I, in no way, meant to diminish either of those efforts. I just felt that thw "thanks" would have been sufficient by itself and the "question" left for a separate thread.

Regards and respect to You..... and now time to pack up and get ready to leave for the mountain campout.

Be Well.
[font=Comic Sans MS]]WWII vet formally receives Bronze Star | diaz, war, star - News - The Orange County Register
Thank you for the clarification BL. My thoughts were that some how you thought I was teasing by involving both issues and that it was some how impossible to believe that a supporter of illegal immigrants could also be patriotic. Let me tell you that it is possible. I have stated this several times here. I dont advocate for more illegal immigrants to our country. I advocate legalization of this group as the best solution to illegal immigration and a halt to the problem...for many reasons I dont consider important to mention on this thread.

Like you, I also spent my day, "Veteran's Day" dedicating time to our veterans. I dedicate a lot of my time to them, as a matter of fact, I am a member of the auxiliary team for AMVETS. I have been a part of the meetings that take place for the Mexican-American veteran's monument at the capitol. I am also working on gathering a group of AA veterans to start a committe and request a monument for them as well.

As far as Mr. Diaz, I would hope that at his age, no one would question his legal status or his loyalty. Though I dont understand the comment about wishing he was Italian instead. A couple of years ago, I attended a ceremony to honor a veteran of WWII as well by the name of Alejandro Ruiz, aka "Alex Ruiz". A Mexican-American, also in his 80's who was recognized with the highest level award...the purple heart. This man was on a wheelchair and unable to eat. He was on a feeding tube. After the ceremony, he left and his family among others stayed to enjoy the food. I thought, it was a shame. However, it was quite an honor to be present and he serves as a role model, someone I can point to, to our future generation, so I am grateful.

Alejandro R. Ruiz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I actually appreciate your post. This is a hot topic and anyone can over react. Imagine how I feel when I read in this forum from others that "only Europeans and Blacks contributed to this great country"? To top it off, I read threads that lump all Mexican-Americans, legal Mexicans and illegal Mexicans by calling it an invasion. Whether it is racism, prejudice or simply uninformed people, it is very clear to me that it is ignorance and I fear for our future generation growing up with people who will label them as invaders and people who have not contributed to our history. I dont want to even think about what that will do to our children's self-esteem.

Good luck with your campout!

Respectfully,

Zacatecana

Old 11-13-2009, 07:18 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Like yourself I too am a navy veteran. I also knew a few Filipino's who gained citizenship through service. Filipino's are in deed a special case. Formerly a terratory of the USA and a long and proud history of fighting along side us when we needed help the most. Also at one time the 2nd home port of the 7th fleet. Those individuals were rewarded because they followed the rules. No fake papers, no dishonesty.
You brought up an excellent point concerning Filipinos.

Being that the Philippines was once a US territory (till 1946), there may indeed be significantly less hostility towards illegals from there vs. any other nation----------including Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration