Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 04:28 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times

Advertisements

My views are based on the rule of law mostly. There are many valid reasons why we have immigration laws. These are the things that occur when our immigration laws are violated and our borders not secured.... uncontrolled population growth, not knowing who is entering our country and why, including possible terrorists and criminal entrants, health and background checks are not done, fair quotas for all immigrants don't occur and then they colonize rather than assimilte and dilute our basic culture and alter the demographics of our country significantly. Increased demands on our schools, jails, hospitals and housing. Increased traffic congestion. Employers and illegal employees cirmcumventing our labor and immigration laws and thereby stealing jobs, benefits and driving down wages for Americans. Avoiding paying taxes. Higher crime rates. Depletion of our natural resources. Higher taxes due to having to care for illegal aliens. The list of negativities is so long. I am sure there are many more that I could list but these are at the top of the list.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:30 PM

277 posts, read 368,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Isolated events. Sorry, but again you miss the point entirely. Actually my dad was hit by an illegal immigrant. Look, I know somebody that was raped by an illegal immigrant. I don't blame that on their status. I blame it on the individual. I know another girl who was claims to have been raped by a C-list celeb. Should I state that the person being a C-lister led them to rape this girl? NO.

I take it that you've not beat up a person for raping your friend. That you've not held that person and stayed up with them. I take it that you've not had to help that person testify in court. I've been there.

That's why I know that it's not being illegal or being a c-lister, or any other stupid broad generalization you want to throw.

That attribute does not predispose a person towards rape.
2 major crimes to the same person by an illegal immigrant? What are the chances?

Old 11-13-2009, 06:22 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
If you think that's bad, how about the person who didn't understand the conversation and posted on and on about how illegal immigration predisposes to rape. The way the poster did it was post articles of illegal immigrants who raped people. Yet, the poster could have done the same with any number of characteristics.

So in order to decrease rape...ABORT ALL BABIES...that way humans die and there is no rape. Do you see the logic I used. A group CAN commit B, so we have no more of A group (despite that A may not commit rape more so than any other group). Hence the flaw.

Hopefully you'll understand...It's pretty simple.
Your post defies logic. Please direct me to ONE post in which I even remotely implied that illegal aliens are “predisposed” to rape. I’ll wait.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:06 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You make this entirely too easy. These are a few of the countless rapes and DUIs committed by illegal aliens.

Illegal immigrant charged with child rape had been released a year earlier after assault arrest | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/crime/Illegal-immigrant-charged-with-child-rape-had-been-released-a-year-earlier-after-assault-arrest-43443292.html - broken link)

Illegal immigrant pleads guilty to rape of 12-year-old - Kingsport Times-News Online

Man pleads guilty to raping Conn. jogger- The New Haven Register - Serving New Haven, Connecticut

2 Gaston County teens plead guilty to raping children ages 2 and 7 | raping, guilty, old - Local News - Gaston Gazette

Drunk Driver Gets 55 Years For Killing Tri-State Couple - Cincinnati News Story - WLWT Cincinnati (http://www.wlwt.com/news/14504576/detail.html - broken link)

The Jail Report: Illegal Immigrant Driving Drunk in Aiken County

KTAR.com - Officer's death prompts call for tougher policies
The implication being a predisposition...since this was a retort against when I stated the two aren't linked (meaning NO predisposition). Either you meant there was a predisposition, or you simply didn't understand.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
2 major crimes to the same person by an illegal immigrant? What are the chances?
To be perfectly honest, some people suck. That's with any population.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
My views are based on the rule of law mostly. There are many valid reasons why we have immigration laws. These are the things that occur when our immigration laws are violated and our borders not secured.... uncontrolled population growth, not knowing who is entering our country and why, including possible terrorists and criminal entrants, health and background checks are not done, fair quotas for all immigrants don't occur and then they colonize rather than assimilte and dilute our basic culture and alter the demographics of our country significantly. Increased demands on our schools, jails, hospitals and housing. Increased traffic congestion. Employers and illegal employees cirmcumventing our labor and immigration laws and thereby stealing jobs, benefits and driving down wages for Americans. Avoiding paying taxes. Higher crime rates. Depletion of our natural resources. Higher taxes due to having to care for illegal aliens. The list of negativities is so long. I am sure there are many more that I could list but these are at the top of the list.
Crime rate has gone down dramatically, still VERY low, high taxes can be avoided with better management (not fighting in wars that aren't needed, not having tax cuts for the rich), and natural resource depletion is more linked to the middle and upper classes...not really those that have cars per person and have more people per household.

It's as if you blame these on illegal immigrants and not on poor city planning (congestion, schools, jails), not on poor tax collection (Bush's tax cuts), not on wasteful spending (the Iraq War), and not a consumption culture (depletion of resources). Maybe you should look into those things first...

Old 11-13-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i dont know, for me i think its this board. because otherwise i never really gave someones legal status a second thought. i dont see a threat posed by illegals.

drug dealers. rapists. kidnappers. molesters. i totally see the threat. those are the ones i have mostly been concerned with in my neighborhoods.

ive been able to peacefully coexist with immigrants (illegal or otherwise), as have most people around town. but now i do find myself leering. even to the point of wanting to ask them if they are here legally(which of course i dont).

this board has made me more suspicious i think. like i said i dont know if its a good or a bad thing.

thanks for your reply.
It's most likely this board. It's more salient in your mind, so as you look at people you have that recall. It's not a bad thing.

I feel that you treat people fairly, so don't worry it. It's natural to have that at the top of your mind considering that you post fairly often. It's like when you drive X car, you suddenly notice the same car all over the road.

Hope that helped...

Old 11-13-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
For me it's been multi-faceted. Having my house broken into twice by Ilegals. (it's on a early thread, yes they were documented Illegals). Having to rush my roommate to an ER to find it packed with Illegals.

Then just reading it over and over and over. An Illegal killing someone, Illegals doing this, doing that. Getting into accidents, hit and runs.

The bottom line and the most angering about it is THEY AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE HERE. I just can't seem to get past the opening line on that.
I've had things happen to me and people close by illegal immigrants. I've also had things happen to me by Whites, Blacks, Asians...

I don't judge the group, I judge the individual on individual actions. I try to find larger societal causes of things for major trends.

I feel that many find a characteristic of the person committing the action and extrapolate that.

Instead, they should see things that are better predictors. Such as education, economics, support system, community structure, and even mental health. Not things that don't relate.

That's my view, that people are usually inherently good. Even illegal immigrants. However, there are universal causes that push people over the edge. I'd like to fix those universal causes (education, economics, support system, community structure, and even mental health).

Old 11-13-2009, 07:34 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
The implication being a predisposition...since this was a retort against when I stated the two aren't linked (meaning NO predisposition). Either you meant there was a predisposition, or you simply didn't understand.
Apparently you don’t know the definition of predisposition. Some illegal aliens are violent criminals. Thus, one cannot state that there is no connection between illegal immigration and violent crime. However, that does not imply that they are predisposed to commit violent crimes simply because they are illegal.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Apparently you don’t know the definition of predisposition. Some illegal aliens are violent criminals. Thus, one cannot state that there is no connection between illegal immigration and violent crime. However, that does not imply that they are predisposed to commit violent crimes simply because they are illegal.
Yes I do...do you? You can say there is no connection since there is no predisposition. There are blondes who are criminals, is there a connection there? NO. Each population has criminals, does that mean that each characteristic is a connection. No. You find something that ACTUALLY correlates to each other. Not post some crimes and say "Hey, they were illegal and committed crimes. That must mean that there is a connection".

The second to last sentence and the last sentence seem to contradict each other. If there is a connection it must imply a predisposition (being illegal causes this...) However, the last sentence states that this is not the case.

What other factors MAY contribute to said crimes? Rapists typically have a history of mental health disorders. Burglaries are more likely to occur in areas where the median household income is less than 50k a year. Murders also occur more frequently in areas with lower educational attainment and lower median income. Maybe you should look at those characteristics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration