U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2009, 04:50 AM
 
4,997 posts, read 13,544,723 times
Reputation: 2400

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
Anti-American???, no one loves this country more than I do, this is the place where I prospered, I have a large amount of friends from all races, the only group of people that I don't respect in general are the recists/xenophobes like Lou Dobbs, they need to understand that they are a minority and they are no longer accepted by the mainstream......
I wish you were right about this, because I have disliked Lou Dobbs for a long time and felt him to be racist even though I am against illegal immigration. What I wish you are right about is that people like him are not longer accepted by the mainstream, but we still have the hate mongers like Limbaugh and Glen Beck that much of the mainstream listen to. We need a group that gets them fired as well.

When my husband and I first began watching Lou Dobbs we really liked him, even became independent voters. Then the election came up, and we would listen to an Obama speech and then hear Dobb's take on it, and I remember we both responded at the same time, "That isn't what Obama said." Then we began listening to other things he was saying and realized that he twisted the news just like other news commentators do. And while some things on immigration were interesting, such as the border wars, it became clear that he was really a racist and a bigot. Just because he is married to a latino doesn't mean that he isn't a racist. You just can't continue to report such news as he did without becoming a racist, just as you can't continue to listen to the Glen Becks of this world without their beliefs rubbing off on you. We quit watching him because of his way of reporting the news.

We need a Drop Glen Beck and Drop Limbaugh movement: http://www.politicususa.com/en/Beck-Boycott-57 at least some sponsors are dropping Beck.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 11-14-2009 at 05:00 AM..

 
Old 11-14-2009, 07:40 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I see...

Well, some Latinos or Hispanics are divided and that is just the way it is. There are many Caucasian Americans who also support legalization. Its not a black and white issue. Anyway, I respect your position. What I dont respect is Lou Dobbs spreading lies and degrading Hispanics to fit his agenda. That is what the thread is about.

I'm glad he is gone, at least for now.
Point out his lies then! Put up or shut up. Please don't drag out the tired old leprosy thing again either if that is all you've got. Dobbs never spread lies about Hispanics. He talked about illegal immigration. Are you saying that all Hispanics are illegal?

You think your little advocacy groups got him fired? That is too funny! CNN got just as many letters and petitions praising Dobbs as your side's hate filled lies about him. You don't think CNN couldn't put two and two together getting nasty letters from mostly Hispanics (who coincidently want amnesty for illegals to fill up this country with their own ethnic kind)? Dobbs decided to move on for his own personal reasons. Do dream on though that ethnocentric Hispanics had that much clout as to get him fired.
 
Old 11-14-2009, 08:13 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,792,255 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Read some pro-illegal immigration blogs. Right here in this forum most of the Latinos posting in here are supporting illegals and think they should be given amnesty/legalization/citizenship. That goes way beyond sympathy. Read up on how all of these Hispanic advocacy groups are pro-illegal/amnesty. I hear it nearlly on a daily basis from Latinos that they are pro-advocates. That's not to say that they all are but a good majority of them are.
Does that mean they support illegal immigration? There is a HUGE difference between supporting illegal immigration ( as in open the borders, come here illegally, work here illegally for sub par wages forever) and advocating that those here illegally be brought out of the shadows and become legal so that they are not exploited by these corporations anymore.
 
Old 11-14-2009, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Does that mean they support illegal immigration? There is a HUGE difference between supporting illegal immigration ( as in open the borders, come here illegally, work here illegally for sub par wages forever) and advocating that those here illegally be brought out of the shadows and become legal so that they are not exploited by these corporations anymore.
Why even bother making a bunch of criminals 'legal'? Not is it a slap in the face of those legal immigrants (Mexican or not) who played it by the rules; were are in the deepest recession since the 1930's so 'those jobs that Americans won't do' need to go to our own.

If anything; enforcement needs to be amped up against illegal aliens and their enablers. If it means seizure of assets as well as prison time-----------so be it.
 
Old 11-14-2009, 09:12 AM
 
238 posts, read 655,209 times
Reputation: 131
I'm originally from Venezuela. I completely dislike this politically correctness bullcrap that many public and private enterprises have taken. As a latino myself, I think that Lou Dobbs is entitled to his own opinion. He is a patriot not a racist. Therefore, there is nothing wrong about it. He is just concerned about the attacks on the sovereingty of this nation. If you are a foreign born latino, then you know that in our countries of origin; we could not do the things we do in this nation period.. The hypocrisy from several latino organizations such as "La Raza" makes me sick. What is this country supposed to do? Let everyone in? If our goal as latinos is to convert this nation into a resemblance of what we left, then why aren't we back where we came from? We left South and Central America for a reason and willingly...didn't we? If I stayed in your house as your guest, and decided to change the rules of your house and do whatever I wanted, wouldn't you feel offended and threatened? If you agree, then what makes you think that it should be any different when it comes to the sovereingty of a nation? This idiotic and backwards mentality that you are supposed to defend your culture makes no sense to me. A nation is your home, our home, and as such we are supposed to protect it; whether we are born in the U.S. or not. That is what Lou Dobbs has been doing for years. He has been defending the inneliable rights, as an American and as a human being.

On the other hand, what infuriates me about the entire illegal issue is that most Latinos are being used. Latinos have not figured out that certain interests in this nation are not supporting the cause, but rather using latinos to vulcanize the nation. In the meantime, the issues that matter the most are being ignored by the people of the country. Complete propaganda, yet we have fallen for it. And when I say we....I'm including whites, black, asians, and latinos. Latinos make way too much noise for the little power we actually have. Instead, why don't we educate ourselves? And while at it, why don't we try to become Americans, so we can finally be proud of something instead of repudiating it?

I would make it a requirement for immigrants to learn English, learn American History, and demonstrate loyalty for this nation. In my house, English is spoken at all times. We do not watch Spanish TV, and we do not engage in these type of political activities that may hinder the sovereingty of this nation. The day I decide to speak Spanish, watch Spanish TV, and fully engage in the cultural vision of latinos, I will pack my crap and leave the country. Last but not least, I will insert a quote of Theodore Roosevelt. One of the greatest presidents this nation ever had.

"We should insist that if the immigrant
who comes here does in good faith become an
American and assimilates himself to us he shall be
treated on an exact equality with every one else, for it is
an outrage to discriminate against any such man
because of creed or birth-place or origin.
But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in
very fact an American and nothing but an American. If
he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin
and separated from the rest of America, then he isn't
doing his part as an American. There can be no divided
allegiance here. . . We have room for but one language
here, and that is the English language, for we intend to
see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans,
of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a
polyglot boarding-house; and we have room for but one
soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people".

Last edited by Amazonas; 11-14-2009 at 09:29 AM..
 
Old 11-14-2009, 09:20 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Does that mean they support illegal immigration? There is a HUGE difference between supporting illegal immigration ( as in open the borders, come here illegally, work here illegally for sub par wages forever) and advocating that those here illegally be brought out of the shadows and become legal so that they are not exploited by these corporations anymore.
IMO one can't support one thing without supporting the other related issue. Of course I admit that if these illegals were mostly Chinese that Hispanics would be singing a different tune. Even so, calling for amnesty for illegals, etc. goes beyond sympathy. They accept the exploitation that they are getting otherwise they wouldn't be here. They can go home....end of exploitation.
 
Old 11-14-2009, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonas View Post
I'm originally from Venezuela. I completely dislike this politically correctness bullcrap that many public and private enterprises have taken. As a latino myself, I think that Lou Dobbs is entitled to his own opinion. He is a patriot not a racist. Therefore, there is nothing wrong about it. He is just concerned about the attacks on the sovereingty of this nation. If you are a foreign born latino, then you know that in our countries of origin; we could not do the things we do in this nation period.. The hypocrisy from several latino organizations such as "La Raza" makes me sick. What is this country supposed to do? Let everyone in? If our goal as latinos is to convert this nation into a resemblance of what we left, then why aren't we back where we came from? We left South and Central America for a reason and willingly...didn't we? If I stayed in your house as your guest, and decided to change the rules of your house and do whatever I wanted, wouldn't you feel offended and threatened? If you agree, then what makes you think that it should be any different when it comes to the sovereingty of a nation? This idiotic and backwards mentality that you are supposed defend your culture makes no sense to me. A nation is your home, our home, and as such we are supposed to protect it; whether we are born in the U.S. or not. That is what Lou Dobbs has been doing for years. He has been defending the inneliable rights, as an American and as a human being.

On the other hand, what infuriates me about the entire illegal issue is that most Latinos are being used. Latinos have not figured out that certain interests in this nation are not supporting the cause, but rather using latinos to vulcanize the nation. In the meantime, the issues that matter the most are being ignored by the people of the country. Complete propaganda, yet we have fallen for it. And when I say we....I'm including whites, black, asians, and latinos. Latinos make way too much noise for the little power we actually have. Instead, why don't we educate ourselves? And while at it, why don't we try to become Americans, so we can finally be proud of something instead of repudiating it?

I would make it a requirement for immigrants to learn English, learn American History, and demonstrate loyalty for this nation. In my house, English is spoken at all times. We do not watch Spanish TV, and we do not engage in these type of political activities that may hinder the sovereingty of this nation. The day I decide to speak Spanish, watch Spanish TV, and fully engage in the cultural vision of latinos, I will pack my crap and leave the country. Last but not least, I will insert a quote of Theodore Roosevelt. One of the greates presidents this nation ever had.

"We should insist that if the immigrant
who comes here does in good faith become an
American and assimilates himself to us he shall be
treated on an exact equality with every one else, for it is
an outrage to discriminate against any such man
because of creed or birth-place or origin.
But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in
very fact an American and nothing but an American. If
he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin
and separated from the rest of America, then he isn't
doing his part as an American. There can be no divided
allegiance here. . . We have room for but one language
here, and that is the English language, for we intend to
see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans,
of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a
polyglot boarding-house; and we have room for but one
soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people".
Trust me: if most (legal) Latino immigrants thought and acted the way you do there would be much less hostility.
 
Old 11-14-2009, 09:42 AM
 
238 posts, read 655,209 times
Reputation: 131
I forgot to mention, I would take the necessary steps to ammend the laws that allows double citizenship. You're either American or you are not.
 
Old 11-14-2009, 09:44 AM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Victory, yes! Here is a letter sent to those that made this possible.



The bold part sounds to me like CNN was pressured by not only the thousands of signed petitions but also by a decrease in advertisements from major corporations. Bottom line...CNN was loosing money if they kept Lou Dobbs. It was not in their best interest.
It is in America's best interest that dissenting viewpoints are heard, whether hispanic activists agree with them or not.

Quote:
Noam Chomsky states that: "If you believe in freedom of speech, you believe in freedom of speech for views you don't like. Stalin and Hitler, for example, were dictators in favor of freedom of speech for views they liked only. If you're in favor of freedom of speech, that means you're in favor of freedom of speech precisely for views you despise."
Freedom of speech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This was a blatant attempt by 'latino' activists to shut up someone that they disagreed with. They did not like it when he pointed out the many adverse effects that illegal immigration has had on American communities. That is why it was so very important to them that they get him off the air. If there was no truth at all to anything the man said, no one would have paid any attention to him and he would have posed no threat to them at all. That wasn't the case now was it? Like the cowards that they are, they hide behind political correctness and call anything that casts them in an unfavorable light as 'hate'.

Millions of overwhelmingly uneducated, unskilled people offer no net benefit to a developed country like the US. The ethnic activists are free to make a big scene by screaming, crying, tearing their hair, rending their garments, etc.; that does not change a thing. If these illegal aliens were remotely desirable immigrants other countries would try to lure them away. As it is, their own countries don't even want them back when we deport them. They are simply opportunists who are here because they can get the most freebies and benefits in the US. They are parasites because they feed off others. But they are not very smart.........because a successful parasite does not kill it's host.

Last edited by andreabeth; 11-14-2009 at 10:16 AM..
 
Old 11-14-2009, 09:57 AM
 
Location: The Wine Country, CA
807 posts, read 1,117,125 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I wish you were right about this, because I have disliked Lou Dobbs for a long time and felt him to be racist even though I am against illegal immigration. What I wish you are right about is that people like him are not longer accepted by the mainstream, but we still have the hate mongers like Limbaugh and Glen Beck that much of the mainstream listen to. We need a group that gets them fired as well.

When my husband and I first began watching Lou Dobbs we really liked him, even became independent voters. Then the election came up, and we would listen to an Obama speech and then hear Dobb's take on it, and I remember we both responded at the same time, "That isn't what Obama said." Then we began listening to other things he was saying and realized that he twisted the news just like other news commentators do. And while some things on immigration were interesting, such as the border wars, it became clear that he was really a racist and a bigot. Just because he is married to a latino doesn't mean that he isn't a racist. You just can't continue to report such news as he did without becoming a racist, just as you can't continue to listen to the Glen Becks of this world without their beliefs rubbing off on you. We quit watching him because of his way of reporting the news.

We need a Drop Glen Beck and Drop Limbaugh movement: 11 More Advertisers Drop Glenn Beck, Total Now At 57 | Politicususa.com at least some sponsors are dropping Beck.
Yes, let's silence the voices of EVERYONE we disagree with that way our country can be more like Cuba or Communist China!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top