Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 01:27 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,554,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanwer View Post
Even if they do see them as a citizens, they see them as a cultural liability, and as potential traitors. Everyone here has some kind of an axe to grind for Latinos, even though they try to play it off like they don't.

The most mild of the anti-Mexican immigrants here will at least complain about the innate ethnocentrism of Latinos, and the very identity of Latinos.

The saddest part are those who have Latino wives(we know who wears the pants in that family!) and those who are Latino themselves aligning themselves with these specific movements. Wanting a solution to illegal immigration is fine and all, but when you hear the stuff said on here and try to look the other way, you're a chump.
And you know this how?

So now one can’t be anti-illegal immigration and also be a Latino in good standing. What happened to individuality? I know numerous Hispanics who hate illegal immigration with a passion. They are not chumps; they are law-abiding citizens who oppose the lawlessness inherent in massive illegal immigration.

Try as you may, this is not an issue of race or ethnicity, but one of legality and respect for the rule of law.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:34 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Not really celebrated by the non-English speaking people. I dont even think many know Dobbs or even watch him. It was celebrated as a great victory but more like the college educated, middle class people of the US who invested time, money and energy into it. It involved a group of people of all cultures and ethnicities, a group of organizations who trully believe this person was giving false information and contributing to a spread of hate.

Here is their written victory:

NMHC

NDN

GALEO

For more see
Drop Dobbs: Halt the Hate
ROFL! What bullsh$t! This is a real diverse group allright.

League of United Latin American Citizens

National Council of La Raza

National Hispanic Media Coalition

The Hispanic Institute

Georgia Association of Latino Elected Officials

Old 11-13-2009, 04:45 PM

277 posts, read 368,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Though he was not clear as to the reason why he is leaving CNN, he says he is leaving CNN for new opportunities.

He issued this statement:

In Surprise, Lou Dobbs Quits CNN | TuscaloosaNews.com | The Tuscaloosa News | Tuscaloosa, AL

I honestly thought he would fight it all the way but suprisingly he did not.

From the Washington Post:

washingtonpost.com
Give me a break. He was a wolf in sheep's clothing. Mr Independent? Yeah, and I'm the Pope.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:51 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,312,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
For someone that implied in an earlier post that some posters here don't have a full brain, this kind of statement doesn't sound like the most intelligent one, how can you know how others really feel? That is fact you can't prove.

I would change it to "there aren't usually any anti-Mexican comments on this board" The reason is that it goes against the TOS and the mods delete most of of those comments when others report them, but many here try to find a way around it and the Illegal alien argument is usually the best. We have seen plenty of times when people say all Mexicans, all immigrants instead of all illegal aliens.
Uh, please point out the post where I said someone didn't have a full brain in here. You can't because I never said those words nor implied them. Also, point out the posts where anyone spoke negatively about Mexicans in general rather than the illegal kind. The only thing I have ever read about Mexicans in general is that they should fix their own country. Is that a negative remark? Is stating that "some" come here for the freebies not the truth? Or do you think they are all angels? Yes, we do object to Mexican-Americans supporting illegal immigration into our country. Is that supposed to be surprising or not justified? Back up your accusations, please.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:02 PM

277 posts, read 368,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Uh, please point out the post where I said someone didn't have a full brain in here. You can't because I never said those words nor implied them. Also, point out the posts where anyone spoke negatively about Mexicans in general rather than the illegal kind. The only thing I have ever read about Mexicans in general is that they should fix their own country. Is that a negative remark? Is stating that "some" come here for the freebies not the truth? Or do you think they are all angels? Yes, we do object to Mexican-Americans supporting illegal immigration into our country. Is that supposed to be surprising or not justified? Back up your accusations, please.
I find it amazing how many people ASSUME that Latino American citzens and Legal Latinos support Illegal immigration. Where do people get that from?
A person who completed the legal process and spent lots of money on paper work and lawyers is going to support the person who didn't? I don't know any Mexican that supports illegal immigration, not one. Now do they sympathize with them, sure. But are in support and encourage it, no. Everyone knows life is very hard if you are illegal.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:12 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,287,779 times
This sounds like a move by Dobbs himself and not one that CNN forced upon him. I think Dobbs got angry at CNN and basically asked to be released from his contract. Think about it, if he wanted to stay, he would have sued CNN for wrongful termination because he was still under contract. I think Lou got upset at the Network and both and he and CNN came to terms. CNN has gotten increasingly liberal since they hired Anderson Cooper, Campbell Brown and Soledad O'brien. The serious hardcore reporting by journalists such as Bob Novak and Bernard Shaw went in favor of these NBC personalities like O'brien and Brown. I think Dobbs saw the direction CNN was going and decided to jump ship.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
I find it amazing how many people ASSUME that Latino American citzens and Legal Latinos support Illegal immigration. Where do people get that from?
A person who completed the legal process and spent lots of money on paper work and lawyers is going to support the person who didn't? I don't know any Mexican that supports illegal immigration, not one. Now do they sympathize with them, sure. But are in support and encourage it, no. Everyone knows life is very hard if you are illegal.
I live in Arizona and a lot of Latinos are opposed to illegal immigration. I was surprised to see that myself. I would say most of the Latinos I've encountered are opposed to illegal immigration because it gives them a bad name. Like you said, they sympathize but don't support it. By demonizing Latinos, Republicans and conservatives are pushing away a group of voters that are in fact very conservative and have traditional values. It's dumb to assume all Latinos support illegal immigration. I'm Latino and like you, I don't know of one who supports illegal immigration.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Give me a break. He was a wolf in sheep's clothing. Mr Independent? Yeah, and I'm the Pope.
That's an exaggeration but I don't disagree with you either. I love Dobbs but he was hardly an Independent. However, he isn't a right wing enthusiast either and isn't close to being like Beck or Hannity. He supports certain liberal or Left issues like being opposed to outsourcing and he supports protectionist schemes. Most Republicans and conservatives support outsourcing and open markets because they feel it enhances trades and keeps costs down.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:43 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,558,366 times
Dobbs will wind up on FOX News along with the other rabid xenephobes there!

Old 11-13-2009, 06:01 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,312,858 times
Quote:
Read some pro-illegal immigration blogs. Right here in this forum most of the Latinos posting in here are supporting illegals and think they should be given amnesty/legalization/citizenship. That goes way beyond sympathy. Read up on how all of these Hispanic advocacy groups are pro-illegal/amnesty. I hear it nearlly on a daily basis from Latinos that they are pro-advocates. That's not to say that they all are but a good majority of them are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.