U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2009, 12:22 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,410,824 times
Reputation: 475

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Read it and weep.



https://secure5.webfirst.com/nhma/resident.htm

That's right, Jack. According to the National Hispanic Medical Association, a whopping 4% of physicians are hispanic.
4% is not that bad considering that Hispanics make up about 15% of the total population.

Here is another stat.

Quote:
Contrary to the trite stereotype that all Mexicans in the United States are poorly educated and are gardeners and work in the fields, the 1990 census revealed that there were 3, 969 immigrants, born in Mexico, who held doctorate degrees.
The Other Face of America, by Jorge Ramos, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers, NY, USA, copyright 2002.

 
Old 11-15-2009, 12:27 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,410,824 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Thus rewarding their criminal behavior. Message sent? Ignore our laws, if enough break the law we will grant an amnesty.
I have asked this question countless times. Where do we draw the line?
Which crimes will we grant amnesty because of numbers? It has been demonstrated that past amnesties only made the problem worse. What do we tell the immigrants who followed the rules? The ones who were denied VISA's? Sorry but you would have been better to simply break the law?
The only reason why the past amnesty caused more problems was because the laws were never enforced. Where do we draw the line? Even in the past amnesty, violent criminals were not given legalization, as well as people who were unemployeed and a history of employment was required.

I think it is important to understand all the requirements that the past amnesty asked of immigrants. We should do the same now but at the same time, we should enforce our laws and secure our border.
 
Old 11-15-2009, 07:30 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,800 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Reputation: 17689
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
The only reason why the past amnesty caused more problems was because the laws were never enforced. Where do we draw the line? Even in the past amnesty, violent criminals were not given legalization, as well as people who were unemployeed and a history of employment was required.

I think it is important to understand all the requirements that the past amnesty asked of immigrants. We should do the same now but at the same time, we should enforce our laws and secure our border.
And since we aren't enforcing our existing laws it would be another shamnesty. Inviting 40 million here for the next go round of peasant legalization and the opening of our entire social system network to them is wrong. The tax payers can't keep up with this mess. There are no jobs, where are they going to find work? They can't keep working their under the table game if they have to pay taxes. Where will the jobs come from?
 
Old 11-15-2009, 09:45 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I think it is important to understand all the requirements that the past amnesty asked of immigrants. We should do the same now but at the same time, we should enforce our laws and secure our border.
Good idea....but, with all due respect, if we started today to "enforce our laws", and to "secure our border", what do you think people would say? Wouldn't it be pretty much the same thing they're saying now...that these things were 'unfair, xenophobic, and racist'? Why would we "suddenly" all get on board, and suddenly all agree with enforcing our laws, just because of an amnesty? What if some people took an amnesty as a sign that we didn't CARE if our laws were enforced or not? What if SOME people took this as a way of saying that "we'll ONLY agree to respect your laws, if you FIRST demonstrate your willingness to 'bend' them by granting amnesty to me and my group. Otherwise, to HECK with your laws. If you don't grant amnesty, then I'M not going to respect your laws. Why should I do what YOU want (i.e., abide by the law), if you won't do what I want (i.e., grant amnesty to illegals)? No amnesty, no peace".

You and I may be reasonable people....how do we deal with those who are not?...


Something to consider, at least...
 
Old 11-15-2009, 12:00 PM
 
2,930 posts, read 6,028,597 times
Reputation: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
Many in the illegal immigration debate think that "Anchor babies" are just as bad as their illegal parents. We hear how "Anchor babies", who are American Citizens, should be deported with their illegal parents.

My question is, a person who can trace their "roots" back to let's say the mid 1700s America, more American than the first Generation Mexican American whose parents are illegal aliens?
This is one subject I don't agree with either group (anti-immigration or pro amnesty) I don't think they're less American, however they are children unable to provide for themselves.

I agree with allowing them to come back once they turn 18 if their parents get deported. They need to be with their parents. However if for whatever reason they are in the USA, they should be allowed to get free school but their parents should not be able to receive welfare benefits. Having a bunch of kids out there with nothing to do in their free time is quite dangerous(there will always be some illegal immigration)

Welfare benefits to illegals need to stop. This is an incentive for irresponsible women to have children for financial reasons. School is different because it is usually free in any country so it won't be an incentive for them. The illegal crowd will have all types of women, some who will be hardworking people and will never seek government assistance and others who are parasites and will abuse the system. Adding more poor children from irresponsible mothers is the last thing any society needs.
 
Old 11-15-2009, 01:36 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
12,775 posts, read 7,382,710 times
Reputation: 13043
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
You are very right. The problem is that it costs to deport them. Money we dont have. We can replace illegal with legal by LEGALIZING them.
No need to spend money. Institute E-Verify nationwide, from large corporations to mom and pop establishments.
 
Old 11-15-2009, 01:49 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
12,775 posts, read 7,382,710 times
Reputation: 13043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
Who cares what country has what laws, we need to obey and cherish our laws, and birthright citizenship is the law of the land, lame efforts to try to overturn this law have failed miserably, it has the support of a very large sector of the population and it will be political suicide to try to mess with it, ask Lou Dobbs, lol......
This post is a perfect example of picking and choosing which laws illegals WISH to obey.

So, we should cherish the birthright 'law', but overturn laws that make ID theft a felony? How about cheating on tax returns? Should we just get rid of that law, too? Lets see...what else will enable the alien invaders to live comfortably here? Oh---lets just get rid of THOSE laws too!!!!
 
Old 11-15-2009, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
16,116 posts, read 20,155,449 times
Reputation: 8204
Grandparents crossed into the United States, from MEXICO, and never became citizens, Father came with them as a child
 
Old 11-15-2009, 01:58 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
12,775 posts, read 7,382,710 times
Reputation: 13043
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
4% is not that bad considering that Hispanics make up about 15% of the total population.

Here is another stat.

Contrary to the trite stereotype that all Mexicans in the United States are poorly educated and are gardeners and work in the fields, the 1990 census revealed that there were 3, 969 immigrants, born in Mexico, who held doctorate degrees.
The Other Face of America, by Jorge Ramos, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers, NY, USA, copyright 2002.
It says 'immigrants', not illegal aliens. Mexicans are able to immigrate here legally, you know. How many of these 3,969 with doctorates were here illegally?
 
Old 11-15-2009, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Grandparents crossed into the United States, from MEXICO, and never became citizens, Father came with them as a child
And your point? Mitt Romney's mother was a US citizen negating anything that George may have done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top