U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 04:02 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times

Advertisements

"How American are you" is simply one more instance of the same tired refrain of 'we're all immigrants', of 'there are no illegal humans', that 'the early-day immigrants who came to America were illegal', and that 'America was stolen from the Indians'.

Those who ask such questions as 'How American are You' are generally those who will accept no definition of what an "American" is at all....or will accept no explanation of who is NOT American, either..."How American are you" is simply an empty 'trick question' thrown into the discussion in order to provoke endless side-arguments.

Frankly, I'm surprised this thread has gotten the number of responses it has. "How American am I"? I don't know....who's asking?...and how does that person define the term? It's like asking "are you a nice person? HOW nice? Compared to whom? And who SAYS so?"

Ridiculous thread...ridiculous discussion. Those who ask such questions have no interest in the answer.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:11 PM

277 posts, read 318,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
"How American are you" is simply one more instance of the same tired refrain of 'we're all immigrants', of 'there are no illegal humans', that 'the early-day immigrants who came to America were illegal', and that 'America was stolen from the Indians'.

Those who ask such questions as 'How American are You' are generally those who will accept no definition of what an "American" is at all....or will accept no explanation of who is NOT American, either..."How American are you" is simply an empty 'trick question' thrown into the discussion in order to provoke endless side-arguments.

Frankly, I'm surprised this thread has gotten the number of responses it has. "How American am I"? I don't know....who's asking?...and how does that person define the term? It's like asking "are you a nice person? HOW nice? Compared to whom? And who SAYS so?"

Ridiculous thread...ridiculous discussion. Those who ask such questions have no interest in the answer.
There's goes another person who calls discussions ridiculous and doesn't like to hear other people's points of view. It's their way or the highway. And why do these posters always assume things all the time? People who are stuck in their old school frame of minds. People who do not believe in evolution. People who have a hard time of changing or accepting change. They like things just the way they are or were. It's a new day and a new discussion. And if you are so bothered by it, do not participate in the conversation. It's really that simple. However, everyone has a right to voice their opinions, no matter how much you dislike it or disagree with it.

And if you couldn't answer the Thread's question, there is no need to get upset by that either. You didn't get the point, and that's ok.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:14 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
There's goes another person who calls discussions ridiculous and doesn't like to hear other people's points of view. It's their way or the highway. And why do these posters always assume things all the time? People who are stuck in their old school frame of minds. People who do not believe in evolution. People who have a hard time of changing or accepting change. They like things just the way they are or were. It's a new day and a new discussion. And if you are so bothered by it, do not participate in the conversation. It's really that simple. However, everyone has a right to voice their opinions, no matter how much you dislike it or disagree with it.
I understand.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:18 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post

And if you couldn't answer the Thread's question, there is no need to get upset by that either. You didn't get the point, and that's ok.
I think you made a very valid point here. Some people in deed have a hard time dealing with change. Well, most humans do, I should say. This is what it's all about. Having a difficult time that the face of America is changing.

Regarding who is American. I once heard someone in the forum say something to the effect of: we are the product of our own environments. If these children who's parents are here illegally are born and raised here in the US, they are American by all means. If a child is born in a US hospital and then taken back to the parent's country immediately, they are not American, imo. They are shaped by the ideals of a different country with their experiences (way of life).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or