Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 01:33 AM

277 posts, read 368,467 times

Advertisements

"They are among the estimated 2.5 million undocumented immigrants in the United States who are not from Latin America but from Asia, Europe, Canada, Africa, the Middle East and elsewhere. They make up nearly a quarter of the nation's undocumented population, yet in the current immigration debate, they have been all but invisible."

Interesting article.

Hispanic American Center for Economic Research - More than just Latinos illegally call U.S. home (http://www.hacer.org/current/US313.php - broken link)

Old 11-12-2009, 02:04 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,105,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
"They are among the estimated 2.5 million undocumented immigrants in the United States who are not from Latin America but from Asia, Europe, Canada, Africa, the Middle East and elsewhere. They make up nearly a quarter of the nation's undocumented population, yet in the current immigration debate, they have been all but invisible."

Interesting article.

Hispanic American Center for Economic Research - More than just Latinos illegally call U.S. home (http://www.hacer.org/current/US313.php - broken link)
Good article. Thanks for posting.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:58 AM

50,234 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Thanks for posting but for all purposes most already know that. Pro-Illegals are the ones trying to lump "all Immigrants as Hispanic". Other Illegals get no special favors.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:26 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,554,889 times
I don’t believe there is one anti-illegal who is not aware of this fact. However, the 75% "Hispanic" illegal population receive the lion’s share of attention due to their blatant arrogance, sense of entitlement, and mega support from special interest groups and ethnocentric Hispanic “immigrant” advocates. They are also the group our government and corporations accommodate and treat with kid gloves. Thus, they have earned the distinction of being THE illegal aliens. I don’t discriminate; I oppose ALL illegal immigration.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:25 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
It is like a plumbing leak.

Depends if it is a drip every once a month, or a busted sewer pipe

Old 11-12-2009, 09:26 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,904,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Thanks for posting but for all purposes most already know that. Pro-Illegals are the ones trying to lump "all Immigrants as Hispanic". Other Illegals get no special favors.
That's actually not true. In fact, most arguments from your position state that the biggest reason why people dislike illegal immigration is the increased use of Spanish...The implication being that illegal immigration automatically assumes Hispanic descent.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:31 AM

50,234 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
That's actually not true. In fact, most arguments from your position state that the biggest reason why people dislike illegal immigration is the increased use of Spanish...The implication being that illegal immigration automatically assumes Hispanic descent.
Balderdash!

Almost every one of my posts mentions the drain on tax payer funds or the increase in crime. As a secondary I usually mention the lowering of the bar, so to speak, of our education system by allowing in ESL students to a system already being burgeoned by NCLB.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Balderdash!

Almost every one of my posts mentions the drain on tax payer funds or the increase in crime. As a secondary I usually mention the lowering of the bar, so to speak, of our education system by allowing in ESL students to a system already being burgeoned by NCLB.
Your position, not you personally.

Plus, what increase in crime? This is what I don't understand...crime has decreased during the highest extent of illegal immigration. It's only now (with illegal immigration waning) that crime has slightly increased. Economics play a bigger role in crime.

Tax payer funds would be less drained if money spent on defense would go towards education and educating illegal immigrants. ESL is a good program that allows families who do not have tons of money to have their children learn English. NCLB is completely a different topic from ESL.

I know your posts. Typically it focuses on the short term, without considering long term consequences.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:47 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,554,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Your position, not you personally.

Plus, what increase in crime? This is what I don't understand...crime has decreased during the highest extent of illegal immigration. It's only now (with illegal immigration waning) that crime has slightly increased. Economics play a bigger role in crime.

Tax payer funds would be less drained if money spent on defense would go towards education and educating illegal immigrants. ESL is a good program that allows families who do not have tons of money to have their children learn English. NCLB is completely a different topic from ESL.

I know your posts. Typically it focuses on the short term, without considering long term consequences.
How much more should taxpayers squander on illegal aliens’ education? The majority do not value an education, and thus have no desire to avail themselves of the generous opportunities provided. If their parents want them to receive an education, they, or their countries of origin, should be required to pay for it, not the citizens of this country. It is an asinine law.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How much more should taxpayers squander on illegal aliens’ education? The majority do not value an education, and thus have no desire to avail themselves of the generous opportunities provided. If their parents want them to receive an education, they, or their countries of origin, should be required to pay for it, not the citizens of this country. It is an asinine law.
Proof? In the long run, it's cheaper to provide education than to deny education. Also much of this due to lack of funding and support available to this population.

The bold is again a "great" generalization that shows a lack of knowledge and understanding of different cultures in general. It, ironically, is a coupled with responses to which you oppose illegal immigrants in college.

If they are here, they need an education. It saves MORE money in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration