U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2009, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
277 posts, read 318,696 times
Reputation: 91

Advertisements

Many in the illegal immigration debate think that "Anchor babies" are just as bad as their illegal parents. We hear how "Anchor babies", who are American Citizens, should be deported with their illegal parents.

My question is, a person who can trace their "roots" back to let's say the mid 1700s America, more American than the first Generation Mexican American whose parents are illegal aliens?

 
Old 11-13-2009, 06:14 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
Many in the illegal immigration debate think that "Anchor babies" are just as bad as their illegal parents. We hear how "Anchor babies", who are American Citizens, should be deported with their illegal parents.

My question is, a person who can trace their "roots" back to let's say the mid 1700s America, more American than the first Generation Mexican American whose parents are illegal aliens?
How "American" is someone who won't assimilate, doesn't recognize our laws or our common language? How American is someone who is here only to make money but wants to become legal simply so they won't get deported?

How "American" is someone who wants to have other people support them and their family out of the gate and as long as possible?

Why should someone be classified an American just because their Mother gamed the system by either A. Buying it by paying a Coyote B. Stealing it by walking through the desert

You tell us.
 
Old 11-13-2009, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
Many in the illegal immigration debate think that "Anchor babies" are just as bad as their illegal parents. We hear how "Anchor babies", who are American Citizens, should be deported with their illegal parents.

My question is, a person who can trace their "roots" back to let's say the mid 1700s America, more American than the first Generation Mexican American whose parents are illegal aliens?
Let me put it this way: outside of the USA and possibly Canada; name me one First World nation that has birthright citizenship. Ireland cancelled theirs a few years back due to their illegal alien problem.

As for the Anchor Baby argument; that is a perverted interpretation of the 14the Amendment-----------especially factoring in that the children of foreign diplomats born here in the USA do not receive birthright citizenship. If such a rule excludes the latter kids; what gives the former a free skate being that their parents are here illegally?

As for the rest of your post: we are now a sovereign nation and have the right to control whom we let in.
 
Old 11-13-2009, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
277 posts, read 318,696 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How "American" is someone who won't assimilate, doesn't recognize our laws or our common language? How American is someone who is here only to make money but wants to become legal simply so they won't get deported?

How "American" is someone who wants to have other people support them and their family out of the gate and as long as possible?

Why should someone be classified an American just because their Mother gamed the system by either A. Buying it by paying a Coyote B. Stealing it by walking through the desert

You tell us.
You didn't answer the question. You went the other way. The kid who grew up in America, speaks perfect english, honor roll in school, get scholarships to the best schools. Goes on to graduate and become, let's say a doctor. He loves football and apple pie. His parent's are illegal. He didn't ask to be born to them or in America. Is the person who's family can be traced to the 1700s more American than him?

You were talking about the parents....I'm talking about the kid who is American.
 
Old 11-13-2009, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
277 posts, read 318,696 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Let me put it this way: outside of the USA and possibly Canada; name me one First World nation that has birthright citizenship. Ireland cancelled theirs a few years back due to their illegal alien problem.

As for the Anchor Baby argument; that is a perverted interpretation of the 14the Amendment-----------especially factoring in that the children of foreign diplomats born here in the USA do not receive birthright citizenship. If such a rule excludes the latter kids; what gives the former a free skate being that their parents are here illegally?

As for the rest of your post: we are now a sovereign nation and have the right to control whom we let in.
So you don't laws like citizenship for those born here, but other laws are cool? So you pick and choose laws that match with your views only?
 
Old 11-13-2009, 06:28 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
Many in the illegal immigration debate think that "Anchor babies" are just as bad as their illegal parents. We hear how "Anchor babies", who are American Citizens, should be deported with their illegal parents.

My question is, a person who can trace their "roots" back to let's say the mid 1700s America, more American than the first Generation Mexican American whose parents are illegal aliens?
I don't know what you mean that "anchor babies" are just as bad as their illegal parents. I have heard no one say that. What bothers Americans is that we are having to support them because of the illegal actions of their parents. The baby didn't have a choice being born here. It is the parents who are the culprits. They give birth on our soil and therefore anchor "themselves" on to our country by doing so.

If the parents are deported you think they should leave their children behind? I don't think so. What kind of family values would that be? Mexico for one thing offers dual citizenship. A U.S. born child of illegal parents should be with their parents in their homeland. If they so choose when they are 18 years old they can return here.

According to the 14th Amendment children of illegal aliens born on our soil are just as American as anyone else but I do think that the birthright amendment clause needs to be re-interpreted. It isn't what what intended when it was written. Most countries require that a child born on their soil has to have at least one citizen parent in order for the child to instantly qualify. I think this is the sane approach especially since the 14th is being mis-interpreted and abused.
 
Old 11-13-2009, 06:30 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
So you don't laws like citizenship for those born here, but other laws are cool? So you pick and choose laws that match with your views only?
Isn't that what the illegal aliens and their supporters are doing?
 
Old 11-13-2009, 06:31 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
Reputation: 47449
it is not the role of the illegal to give lectures to us on our "moralizing & stereotyping". it is the role of the illegal to leave.
as to anchor babies they are just babies born on american soil and citizens. our gov wants to help their business friends by allowing cheap labor to come herer illegally. our government has failed us, they allow this to happen on a very large scale and want it to happen.
our government is anti labor, this i understand --- what i dont understand is that american labor is anti labor.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 11-13-2009 at 07:42 PM..
 
Old 11-13-2009, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
The former parents didnít teach their children to disrespect this country. They also didnít teach their children to have no allegiance. No one has control over to whom or where they are born. It sickens me that these parasites have been able to exploit this country through their children. I have no respect for them, and the children should hold the same illegal status as their parents.

BTW, is this a personal issue for you?
 
Old 11-13-2009, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
277 posts, read 318,696 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Isn't that what the illegal aliens and their supporters are doing?
I don't know, is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top