Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 12:56 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,043,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Interesting about the 'us' comment: I knew a guy with a common Spanish surname who looked 'Latino'. His mother was an Anglo and Tim self identified as White, not Hispanic. However; the Chicanos counted him as a Latino despite Tim repudiating their culture.
See AZBear, this is the reason people continue to tell you how much anti-Latino or Hispanic you are. What was the purpose of telling me that someone you knew repudiated the Hispanic culture? I dont want to assume anymore, I'm just pointing out what I see...I cant find a connection to the topic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The thing is Dobbs said those "cotton picking" polticians. He didn't say that "cotton picking" Rice. Anyone without an axe to grind against him already would know that there was no racial intent.
I dont think I understand you post. Dobbs didnt say "cotton picking" Rice, therefore he is not racist....OK point taken.

However, he did say "cotton picking mind" to the other politician.

Its okay, lets agree to disagree.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Your experiences obviously differ from mine. I personally don’t know any black folks who consider cotton pickin a racial slur; including those who experienced Jim Crow discrimination, and participated in, or were old enough to remember the Civil Right Movement. My mother is 78, and even she doesn’t give the phrase a second thought. Moreover, I can recall my maternal grandfather occasionally using the term. He, by the way, was a staunch civil rights activist who loathed racism, having been born and raised in Alabama. He could have written a bestseller on racism and discrimination.

I believe illegal alien advocates blew the cotton pickin incident out of proportion in an attempt to support their baseless accusations. They were grasping at straws. After all, their primary weapon in the illegal immigration debate is the race card. Granted, Dobbs did turn me off somewhat with his incessant negative Obama commentary. However, that does not make him a racist. I have asked before, and I ask again -- can anyone provide a credible source which indicates the racist comments Lou Dobbs made against blacks? Surely, if the man is so racist, examples of his racism are plentiful.

There are more than enough bona fide derogatory terms used against blacks. However, cotton pickin, unless explicitly used in conjunction with another term such as the N word, IMO, is as racially innocuous as the word “darn.”
I hear you Benicar and I respect your opinion. Its your culture and you should know more than I what is offensive and what is not. So if you feel that pro-illegals jumped on the wagon on the comment toward Rice, I will accept that but please dont tell me that he does not have prejudice toward Latinos because that is MY culture he spoke with toxic on a daily basis, I consider that an insult.

I stand by what I said regarding Dobbs and his hate toward Hispanics and/or Latinos instead of sticking to illegal immigration. I will not apologize for that. I am very happy to see him go. I am happy he will not fill media space and fumigate Americans with his hatred. I dont care if he married a former Mexico's first lady.

Quote:
He conflated legal and illegal immigration. Not only because he gave loads of airtime to commentators, authors and advocacy groups that want to ban all immigration, but also because his show would seamlessly weave together segments on border security (which pertains directly to illegal immigration) with segments on language and culture (which can also be impacted by legal immigration). People figured Dobbs had issues with Latino immigrants — period. No matter how they get here.
Lou Dobbs and his race issues » Ventura County Star

Old 11-18-2009, 01:37 AM

Dobbs on his first interview after resigning CNN.

Quote:
In his first TV interview since resigning abruptly Wednesday night, former CNN anchorman Lou Dobbs told Bill O'Reilly Monday that it was the presence of President Barack Obama in the White House as much as a commitment to fact-based, objective presentation at CNN that led to his troubles with management in recent months.
Now he blames Obama...wow

Quote:
“Never," Dobbs said in answer to a question of whether management complained to him about his opinions on immigration. "The only issue that came up in the last 90 days of my employment there was that Jon Klein and I had talked about the issue of opinion itself and advocacy journalism, and he wanted to take the network in a different direction. And I quite understood that, and tried to accommodate him, though.
Sounds to me like Klein wanted him to practice true journalism by presenting both sides without bias. Lou "tried".

Z on TV: Dobbs to O'Reilly: White House 'tone' shifted on him - Sun critic David Zurawik writes about the business, culture and craziness of television - baltimoresun.com

Lou Dobb will continue on his radio show, may return to TV but who knows who will give him the job...Fox already said no. He also plans to run for office in New Jersey.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:45 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I hear you Benicar and I respect your opinion. Its your culture and you should know more than I what is offensive and what is not. So if you feel that pro-illegals jumped on the wagon on the comment toward Rice, I will accept that but please dont tell me that he does not have prejudice toward Latinos because that is MY culture he spoke with toxic on a daily basis, I consider that an insult.

I stand by what I said regarding Dobbs and his hate toward Hispanics and/or Latinos instead of sticking to illegal immigration. I will not apologize for that. I am very happy to see him go. I am happy he will not fill media space and fumigate Americans with his hatred. I dont care if he married a former Mexico's first lady.

Lou Dobbs and his race issues » Ventura County Star
If what you are claiming about Dobbs is true then why don't you quote his exact words where he demonized Latinos in general and expressed hatred towards them and their culture? I watched him on a daily basis and never heard him do that. His objection was to illegal aliens and their aiders and abettors. Is that a wrong or racist stand to take on this issue?

Old 11-18-2009, 09:32 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
See AZBear, this is the reason people continue to tell you how much anti-Latino or Hispanic you are. What was the purpose of telling me that someone you knew repudiated the Hispanic culture? I dont want to assume anymore, I'm just pointing out what I see...I cant find a connection to the topic...
zac; you are grasping at straws here; my post was in direct response to yours.

Translation: not all so-called 'Latinos' buy the la raza line and; in fact, some resent being lumped in with the latter since they self identify as culturally Anglo. Myself; despite being of 1/2 Hungarian lineage; I too self identify as an Anglo.

Remember: a Spanish surname does not a Hispanic make. Filipinos come to mind.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:35 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,631,478 times
Lou Dobbs is not the anti-illegal's new advocate as the title of this thread intimates, Lou Dobbs, on the contrary, was one of the anti-illegals first advocates. Because of Lou anti-illegals learned that through lack of enforcement of our existing immigration laws by a corrupt government that the US now had at least 20 million illegal invaders, mostly Mexican, residing in the country. That is, at least 10% of just one country, Mexico, is residing illegally in this country. Through Lou the American sheeple were starting to wake up as to what was really happening in this country. The open border pro-illegal sympathisers/enablers/abetters/activists with their clear cut agendas hate Lou because he set them back on their heels. Contrast Lou to the liberal biased left wing PC correct media with their robot talking heads, too cowardly to speak up about what was really going on in this country regarding illegal immigration.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:01 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Default The Dobbs Difference

The Dobbs Difference | Project for Excellence in Journalism (PEJ) (http://www.journalism.org/numbers_report/farwell_lou - broken link)

Old 11-18-2009, 04:27 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
I think Lou Dobbs will come back stronger than before. He began his work at CNN long before the illegal immigration crisis. And he lasted well during the time he was there, speaking against the rising tide of illegal immigration. But he was still at a network that fundamentally opposed his viewpoint on illegal immigration.

Fortunately for people like me, Dobbs, and everyone who supports Dobbs, the next position he takes will be at a news network or in a political party that not only tolerates his relentless pursuit of illegal immigration, but also welcomes him for it. They will avail him to all of the resources and access he needs to properly expose illegal immigration to its fullest...without fear of backlash from the corporate higher ups.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:28 PM

883 posts, read 518,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That just proves the ignorance that spreads like wildfire amongst the uneducated La Raza Racists.

The guy is married to a Hispanic/Latino, you idiots!
So??

He is still a liar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration