U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-20-2009, 06:55 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
First of all, "la raza" as I have stated a number of times, means "gang" or "my friends". In the US, some of the groups have changed that to mean the "race"...the way you interpret it most of the time. When I said "us", I did not mean "my race". There is no such thing. Among some Mexicans, if they are friends or family, it is common to use the word "w******" and it would not be considered an insult but if used by an outsider, even if he was Mexican, it could be an insult.

I think you have a big problem categorizing people by color. If white...Anglo, if brown or mestizo...la raza. There are many white Latinos who do identify themselves as Latinos, as well as many Blacks. There are also many mestizos who do not adhere to the whole "la raza reconquista". BTW, as I understand Anglo is also an ethnicity and it originated in England. You are free to identify as you want, so is the judge. As a Latina...I am very proud to remain and a last name means nothing.
La Raza means the race in Spanish. Someone in here tried to claim that it meant brotherhood but it does not as there is a different Spanish word for that. Translated literally it does not mean gang or friend either it means race. If not then please tell me what the Spanish word for "race" is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2009, 07:09 AM
 
366 posts, read 221,206 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
If he runs for office, I doubt he will win. With his history of spreading lies, his alliance with white supremacist groups and talking negatively against people of color, that leaves a very small minority of followers.

FT.com / Media - Dobbs quits CNN in pursuit of higher calling
You are spreading misinformation on so many levels. That's all I have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
It is a debate macmeal or it would not have lasted and continue this long. I dont think I have ever said they are NOT ILLEGAL. If I did please remind me.

This issue is not only about policy or lack of. Enforcement or lack of. Its about the economy, employment and families that are being ripped apart. You can disagree with my opinion but I think there is more to the issue of illegal immigration DEBATE.
Ripped apart?? Who pointed a gun at the head of the American when he/she had sex with an illegal alien and produced a child?

To avoid 'ripping up' the family; maybe the US citizen partner needs to follow its spouse, kids in tow, back to the latter's homeland. Problem solved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 12:22 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,070,242 times
Reputation: 2244
i stayed out of this one, but...

who exactly thinks that all latinos "buy the la raza line"
maybe ignorant folk. but otherwise i KNOW this group is not a monolith. most educated people know this. therefore there really is no need to provide examples of someone not falling in line with what people think they should (based on skin color or last name.

its like assuming all black folk belong to the NAACP.

its not a suprise to me that there are lots of "latinos" with differening political, social, economic views.

therefore its NON NEWS and silly when mentioned.

as for the cotton pickin anything, dont ever call me that. my elders didnt take kind to that word. it was the same as "boy". it came from a specific mouth with a specific intent. to make us feel less than.

i aint no "cotton pickin" nothing. i aint your "boy".
my family and elders resent those words for how they have been used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Translation: not all so-called 'Latinos' buy the la raza line and; in fact, some resent being lumped in with the latter since they self identify as culturally Anglo. Myself; despite being of 1/2 Hungarian lineage; I too self identify as an Anglo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 12:30 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,070,242 times
Reputation: 2244
raza indeed means race.

but it is also akin to "folk". a group of people. it means several things.

La Raza as it is commonly used now, is derivative or the phrase coined by a mexican philosopher. LA RAZA COSMICA (hybrid of african, european and indigenous blood).

i would say that the majority of anti's in here dont know the origins or true meaning of these words.

its now been turned into a catch phrase by the antis. those luh-rah-zuh people are trying to take over!!!

its laughable.

most of the time when people say La Raza they have no group in mind. just this mythic boogeyman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
La Raza means the race in Spanish. Someone in here tried to claim that it meant brotherhood but it does not as there is a different Spanish word for that. Translated literally it does not mean gang or friend either it means race. If not then please tell me what the Spanish word for "race" is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 12:43 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
60,150 posts, read 30,614,837 times
Reputation: 12825
After that utter BS, we can get back on topic...



Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
If he runs for office, I doubt he will win. With his history of spreading lies, his alliance with white supremacist groups and talking negatively against people of color, that leaves a very small minority of followers.

FT.com / Media - Dobbs quits CNN in pursuit of higher calling


Now that the dust is settling, Lou is more popular than our President.

He is actually pondering a run at the Senate or for the big gig.

I think he is fair & balanced more than what is there now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 12:56 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,070,242 times
Reputation: 2244
oh man!!! more popular than the prez?

wow. ya right!!!
dobbs would tank in an election.

i think palin would do better than him! anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
After that utter BS, we can get back on topic...







Now that the dust is settling, Lou is more popular than our President.

He is actually pondering a run at the Senate or for the big gig.

I think he is fair & balanced more than what is there now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 01:42 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
60,150 posts, read 30,614,837 times
Reputation: 12825
[SIZE=3]According to the AP[/SIZE][SIZE=3] Dobbs said some leaders in media, politics and business "have been urging me to go beyond my role here at CNN and to engage in constructive problem-solving." Does he mean running for office?[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 02:02 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
raza indeed means race.

but it is also akin to "folk". a group of people. it means several things.

La Raza as it is commonly used now, is derivative or the phrase coined by a mexican philosopher. LA RAZA COSMICA (hybrid of african, european and indigenous blood).

i would say that the majority of anti's in here dont know the origins or true meaning of these words.

its now been turned into a catch phrase by the antis. those luh-rah-zuh people are trying to take over!!!

its laughable.

most of the time when people say La Raza they have no group in mind. just this mythic boogeyman.
Well finally it is admitted. Raza does mean race! All those other words you claim that also mean raza are BS. They all have their own Spanish words for them. Race doesn't even have the same meaning as just plain old folk in ANY langauge. Race has a very distinct meaning. It has to do with genetics and ethnicity. Here in the U.S. it is commonly known that La Raza refers to the Hispanics who are usually of mixed Spanish and Native Indian blood on this continent. That is who the NCLR are advocates for just like the NAACP is an advocate group for blacks. But the NAACP isn't pushing for an invasion/amnesty for their group. It is the NCLR that does. It is an ethnocentric, racist, anti-American group IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 03:00 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
It is a debate macmeal or it would not have lasted and continue this long. I dont think I have ever said they are NOT ILLEGAL. If I did please remind me.

This issue is not only about policy or lack of. Enforcement or lack of. Its about the economy, employment and families that are being ripped apart. You can disagree with my opinion but I think there is more to the issue of illegal immigration DEBATE.
Thanks...and you can disagree with me, too. I've never seen you say "illegals are not illegal", no.

As far as why we are 'debating'?....I still don't get that. But it's nothing against you personally. People a LOT higher than you and I are debatiing, too....(and they should know better).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top