Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 04:03 PM

23 posts, read 50,139 times

Advertisements

It seems that in each of these threads titled "Immigration" we are running in circles. There are laws in place that have not been enforced, and that is the true issue here. If I am caught transporting drugs or illegal immigrants or weapons, then I will go to jail. I will have representation and my day in court. And, hopefully, if I were truly guilty of these crimes, I would be proscecuted to the full extent of the law. However, after having worked with the Border Patrol in Fabens, TX, I have seen--first hand--that our US laws do not apply to the illegals that get caught crossing into the US. It is very unfortunate, but in the cases I have been directly involved in, those who were caught with drugs, weapons, and/or transporting other illegals had only this to pay: the drugs and/or weapons were confiscated, and they--as well as their human cargo--were simply taken to the border and set free to walk back across the bridge into Mexico. It is a double standard that should never be allowed. It is a travesty. It is insulting to those of us who got here legally and do our best to support our country in every way possible: jobs, taxes, military, owning businesses and employing other US citizens so that they, too, can live productive lives in this country. It must stop. Why is this still allowed to continue? My guess: it is a political game to keep Mexico appeased and allow relations with the US to continue smoothly (NAFTA/CAFTA), et-cetera. It is wrong, and I am tired of debating what is so obviously a moot point. If you break the law, citizen or not, on US soil then you should be proscecuted to the full extent of this country's law. Period. End of discussion. It seems so simple...and yet, has been nothing but a complicated issue for far too long. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 04:15 PM

452 posts, read 1,132,062 times
I heard on Fox News last night that Bush is planning on signing a Free Trade agreement with Columbia(I thought we already had one...Drugs...haha). I guess since the Free trade agreement that was originally signed in 1994 has worked so well(Sarcasm) why not sign more. I mean we are currently only 2 Trillion dollars in the hole with that one so why not add to it. I do not want to say this but I think it needs to be said...What is this freaky fetish that bush has with Latin American countries. Government is for the people and giving jobs to everyone and everything non-American is all that seems to be going on lately.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:55 PM

322 posts, read 1,234,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLeeCat View Post
It seems that in each of these threads titled "Immigration" we are running in circles. There are laws in place that have not been enforced, and that is the true issue here. If I am caught transporting drugs or illegal immigrants or weapons, then I will go to jail. I will have representation and my day in court. And, hopefully, if I were truly guilty of these crimes, I would be proscecuted to the full extent of the law. However, after having worked with the Border Patrol in Fabens, TX, I have seen--first hand--that our US laws do not apply to the illegals that get caught crossing into the US. It is very unfortunate, but in the cases I have been directly involved in, those who were caught with drugs, weapons, and/or transporting other illegals had only this to pay: the drugs and/or weapons were confiscated, and they--as well as their human cargo--were simply taken to the border and set free to walk back across the bridge into Mexico. It is a double standard that should never be allowed. It is a travesty. It is insulting to those of us who got here legally and do our best to support our country in every way possible: jobs, taxes, military, owning businesses and employing other US citizens so that they, too, can live productive lives in this country. It must stop. Why is this still allowed to continue? My guess: it is a political game to keep Mexico appeased and allow relations with the US to continue smoothly (NAFTA/CAFTA), et-cetera. It is wrong, and I am tired of debating what is so obviously a moot point. If you break the law, citizen or not, on US soil then you should be proscecuted to the full extent of this country's law. Period. End of discussion. It seems so simple...and yet, has been nothing but a complicated issue for far too long. Any thoughts?

I just showed this to my hubby, who is Legacy Immigration (now CBP, as I'm sure you know) and he could not agree with you more! You pretty much summed it up in truth! Problem is that society allows it. If people would stop complaining and actually DO something, start writing their congressmen, threaten to not vote for them if they don't get something done etc...things might change. But as long as people sit back and do nothing, it'll keep happening. My hubby says too that there are SO MANY illegals and so much coming accross the borders that one of the main reasons they don't prosecute is because every state would have their court systems tied up for years. If they would've kept on top of it in the first place America would not be in this situation.

It's not nearly as bad on the Northern border, but still alot of this stuff that goes on..again, not even a fraction of the Southern border though. My husband is from Southern Texas so he sees a HUGE difference in volume of the crimes, but like he says, he's only one person. All he can do is do his job and do what he knows is right. Doesn't help when the Cheifs are trying to override his decisions and turn around and say 'Just let em go". That ticks him off to no end I hear about it for days! It's wrong! Seems like the whole system is corrupt in one way or another.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:01 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
You are not going to stop illegal immigration until you make it easier and cheaper to come, live, and work here legally than it is to come, live, and work here illegally. The supply of immigrant labor exists only because of the demand for it. Stop buying goods -- like food and housing -- that have high immigrant labor content, and all will be well. If you aren't willing to give up things like food and housing, start thinking about how to get all this immigrant labor that you demand in here legally on an easier and cheaper basis. Those basically are your only two alternatives...

Old 05-04-2007, 02:51 PM

959 posts, read 2,360,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You are not going to stop illegal immigration until you make it easier and cheaper to come, live, and work here legally than it is to come, live, and work here illegally. The supply of immigrant labor exists only because of the demand for it. Stop buying goods -- like food and housing -- that have high immigrant labor content, and all will be well. If you aren't willing to give up things like food and housing, start thinking about how to get all this immigrant labor that you demand in here legally on an easier and cheaper basis. Those basically are your only two alternatives...
This is BS...Who is DEMANDING illegals to come in? You?? To stop this part of illegal immigration what we need to do is simply SHUT DOWN or heavily penalize businesses found to be knowingly hiring illegals. NO WAY should we be contemplating making immigration laws easier *eek*

Plus I don't quite believe the housing or food industries will collapse if all the illegals are suddenly put out of business...maybe some jobs will come open for the legal citizens that are living here on welfare.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:32 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times
Quote:
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!! That is so wrong, it just can't get any more wrong!

Enforce our current laws! Secure our borders NOW!

1. Heavily fine and/or imprison those who use illegal immigrant/insurgent labor.

2. Cease all services for illegal/insurgent aliens. No free education, no housing, no food stamps, no anchor baby privileges, no free medical care. This is one American taxpayer who is tired of footing the bill! (To the tune of 10.5 BILLION DOLLARS, yes, BILLION DOLLARS per year in California)

3.Deport all foreign national convicts back to their country of origin. Our prison overcrowding problem in this country would be more manageable if the illegal alien/insurgents which make up 30% of the prison population (in most state and federal institutions) were returned to sender.

4. Return the Fourteenth Amendment rights to those for whom it was written. This constitutional amendment was not intended to write a blank check to the anchor babies of those who sneak across our borders illegally, but was in reparation for the evils of slavery. One of the Fourteenth Amendment's key authors, Michigan Senator Jacob Howard explained in 1866 that the citizenship clause, intended to ensure the rights of former slaves and their children, "would not, of course, include persons born in the United States who are the children of foreigners, aliens, or who belong to families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the Government of the United States..."

5. Coming back into the United States illegally after deportation would be a felony with a minimum 25 years in a federal prison.

And that, my friends, is how you end illegal immigration.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:43 PM

126 posts, read 549,333 times
Quote:
The only ones demanding illegal immigrants are other illegals already here, and unscrupulous individuals giving these illegals job.... So they can save a buck, utilize next to slave labor, cheat the American taxpayer.
As for the rest of us....no, we are not demanding illegal anything except for them all to be deported, our borders secured, crimes penalized!
Please don't use the tired argument that "we"...the American public can not survive without the illegal workforce. This simply is not true. Illegals are here straining our already overburdened system and stealing our jobs!
Oh and btw, we don't need anymore Mexicans here at all, legal or illegal. Sorry my friend, our quota is chock full!

Old 05-05-2007, 03:02 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,110 times
Quote:

I don't know how old you are but you only have to go back in history about 40 years to find out you are wrong.....

Old 05-05-2007, 07:34 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,433,651 times
I personally don't see this ever happening Kele ( great ideas but they will never do it), wish someone would, but they will not do it, its part of the plan here to destroy our country and to keep the weathly wealthy and to weed the rest of us out here, along with the poor and downtrodden, cause there are too many of us, and if your not for it, look out, your be lableded a terrorist and god knows what else will become of you and yours...just wait, things are just warming up here.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:33 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
This is BS...
Nice argument.

Quote:
Who is DEMANDING illegals to come in?
Your are. We all are. No job currently filled by an illegal alien was created out of thin air by some fiendish corporate type looking to somehow exploit the vulnerable masses or to help establish some imaginary new world order. That job exists because there is demand for the product or service to be provided at a price that includes wages that illegal immigrants are not just willing, but happy to work for. Some others are willing to work in those jobs for those wages as well, but not enough to fill the demand. Your demand. My demand. The demand that is created by all of us as a whole. Free market forces -- the great icon of right-wingers everywhere -- are responding to that unmet demand for labor by supplying that labor. Why would you have expected anything else to happen?

Quote:
To stop this part of illegal immigration what we need to do is simply SHUT DOWN or heavily penalize businesses found to be knowingly hiring illegals.
Which will accomplish what again? What will you do for the thousands if not millions of ordinary cititzens who will be thrown out of their livelihoods as the result of such myopic tantrum-throwing? Before you claim to have all the answers, maybe you'd better be sure you have all the questions.

Quote:
NO WAY should we be contemplating making immigration laws easier *eek*
Just plain don't like immigrants, do you.

Quote:
Plus I don't quite believe the housing or food industries will collapse if all the illegals are suddenly put out of business...
Do you believe that cement will pour itself? That lettuce will pick itself? Apparently you do. You're erasing what, 4-5% of the workforce and all the output they would normally have produced, along with all the output that anyone else would have produced using what illegals normally produce, and you don't think there will be any effects? You're being just a tad bit naive here, wouldn't you say?

Quote:
...be some jobs will come open for the legal citizens that are living here on welfare.
Welfare reform. Everyone on welfare here is already working, remember?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration