Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 05:20 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Nice try but I've already told you I'm opposed to illegal immigration. I've never lost my sense of law and I've never lost my sense of humanity either. You seem to have lost the latter and I truly pity you. This is what happens to human beings when they become obsessed with hatred, it consumes them.
Still flinging insults without even knowing me or others who are opposed to illegal immigration and tell the negative truth about it? No, I pity you that you have to resort to false accusations and act like a spoiled child. Yes, you are obsessed with hatred for others whose humanitarism doesn't extend to law breakers. This will be another post reported to the moderator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 05:21 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Very easily. I've known many illegals in my life....most of them likeable people...and a few even related to me....yet today, I am strongly against illegal immigration. I've also had family members who've been guilty of drunk driving, shoplifting, marijuana possession, adultery, dishonesty, making 'stupid remarks', and being mean to others. I love my family, but I HATE these behaviors. I see no conflict there at all.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:23 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Agreed with your points but if American companies don't hire these people then many won't come here. I live in Arizona and we voted and approved of several anti-immigration laws except one....the law that would hold companies responsible if they hired an illegal. This is classic hypocrisy. We want to oppose illegal immigration but we don't want to hold ourselves (our companies) responsible for hiring illegals. Actions speak louder than words. Anyone can say anything on a forum but when it came time to voting and making a serious effort to derail immigration, they did nothing. The same voters that supported all of these other measures wouldn't support that.

For once, I would like the anti-illegal immigration enthusiasts besides myself to hold American companies responsible for perpetuating this!

I agree wholeheartedly with you! For too long Businesses have gotten a free ride with this idea that they can exploit illegals and if they are caught at it, well, they will just lose their workforce for a few weeks then they are free to hire more people that they can willfully underpay.

I think a large part of the illegal problem (and I have to interject here --- it is an illegal immigration problem, not an immigration problem. There is a difference) could be solved if employers were subject to severe fines and jail time for repeated hiring of illegals. What they are doing is illegal and its about time that they suffer the fallout from it.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:26 PM

952 posts, read 942,371 times
Most Americans feel not hatred toward our (especially southern) neighbors---but the frustration of betrayal by our duplicitous leaders, as well as the sting and exasperation of the disrespect and sense of entitlement displayed by illegal aliens on our Nation's soil. Were the roles reversed and Americans poured across our neighbors borders, it would be considered an invasion by those nations. I seriously doubt their citizens, government or social systems would tolerate our illegal presence the way America has (too long), tolerated scofflaws. Yet, we are called racist, inhumanitarian, oppressors, and worse, by the disingenuous who would convince us it is OUR fault, and thus our RESPONSIBILITY, to receive those who will not stand and DEMAND dignity, liberty and opportunity from their own corrupt governances. Instead, they break and enter, and fly their flags, march, demonstrate, and make demands of their neighbor. This enrages the good and generous citizens of the United States. Our disgust, however, is reserved not for illegal aliens; but for those who betray our nation; undermine our immigration laws, and defend, support and aid scofflaws, with excuses, porous defense, and subversive attempts to hold a fire-sale of precious citizenship, in exchange for cheap votes and labor.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA1961 View Post
I think something that is rarely said in these threads is that many so-called "anti-illegals" are not haters; rather, we are in fear for our way of life, our well-being, and the health and prosperity of our country. Please do not confuse fear with hatred.

Many of us have a "them or us" attitude. Why? Because common sense dictates that the U.S. cannot absorb the weight of every desperate and impoverished person in the world who wants to come here. Most of us feel compassion for the plight of the illegal aliens in the U.S.; however, our compassion is stretched to its limit, and we get very angry as we see our quality of life declining, our tax dollars stretched beyond their limits, and a need so huge that it's frightening.

Desperate people from many parts of the world enter the U.S. illegally every day. Or, they come here legally on a visa, and then over overstay their visa. Either way, they shouldn't be here without our permission. Most of these people are from Mexico and Central America.

The very real (and yes, very sad) fact is that we cannot continue to allow this influx of illegal immigration without seriously jeopardizing American citizens' quality of life and propserity. Since the bulk of the illegal aliens are from Mexico, I would add that the plight of the poorest citizens of Mexico is the Mexican government's responsibility, not the U.S.

Your claim that most anti-illegal immigration advocates are xenophobes, racists and nativists is just plain nonsense. It's a tactic used by so many pro-iillegal immigration advocates to discredit us. Of course, yes, we do have the KKK and other fringe groups like them, but they are the exception, not the rule.
VERY well put. My spouse (40 year anniversary in 2 weeks) is 'indistinguishable' in race (if not in origin) from the bulk of today's illegals...yet she's less accepting of illegal immigration than I am. It was once a 'victimless crime'....but no more. Today it's a nightmare.

It's not the race, "stupid", ...It's the BEHAVIOR !!!

Thanks for your comments...

Old 11-18-2009, 05:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
i regret we continue to debate amongst ourselves the justification for asking our appointed government to enforce the laws they have sworn to uphold. what am i missing? we handle defiance of our elected officials just like we handle our kids, we let it slide.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:30 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
I hate illegal immigrants...Has nothing to do with who they are..but what they are...I hate all flagrant criminals.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:30 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaluce View Post
Most Americans feel not hatred toward our (especially southern) neighbors---but the frustration of betrayal by our duplicitous leaders, as well as the sting and exasperation of the disrespect and sense of entitlement displayed by illegal aliens on our Nation's soil. Were the roles reversed and Americans poured across our neighbors borders, it would be considered an invasion by those nations. I seriously doubt their citizens, government or social systems would tolerate our illegal presence the way America has (too long), tolerated scofflaws. Yet, we are called racist, inhumanitarian, oppressors, and worse, by the disingenuous who would convince us it is OUR fault, and thus our RESPONSIBILITY, to receive those who will not stand and DEMAND dignity, liberty and opportunity from their own corrupt governances. Instead, they break and enter, and fly their flags, march, demonstrate, and make demands of their neighbor. This enrages the good and generous citizens of the United States. Our disgust, however, is reserved not for illegal aliens; but for those who betray our nation; undermine our immigration laws, and defend, support and aid scofflaws, with excuses, porous defense, and subversive attempts to hold a fire-sale of precious citizenship, in exchange for cheap votes and labor.
The absolute truth!

Old 11-18-2009, 05:34 PM

164 posts, read 298,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's like anyone who chooses to break some law -- you don't necessarily hate the shoplifter, the embezzler, the dead beat father, tax cheat and so on but you still expect to have laws enforced.
^+1

Old 11-18-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I hate illegal immigrants...Has nothing to do with who they are..but what they are...I hate all flagrant criminals.
That's quite a burden to carry. I hope you find peace....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration