Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 04:40 PM

883 posts, read 518,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
deal with what?

it seems you are the one with the problem.

i aint complaining.

again,
I LIVE IN LA
I TAKE PT
I HEAR DIFFERENT LANGUAGES DAILY

I was wondering what he wanted you to deal with also

Old 11-18-2009, 04:41 PM

883 posts, read 518,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Really, I watch the news all the time and I have heard nothing of this nonsense. Are you saying that immigrants are going to outnumber citizens in 6 years? You're kidding right? Is this some of of joke? You do realize that our citizen population is close to 300 million don't you?
No I am not kidding or Joking

Old 11-18-2009, 04:45 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DulceJ View Post
Then provide a link to this earthshaking news!

Old 11-18-2009, 04:46 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
I was wondering what he wanted you to deal with also
In major cities it is possible but not in most middle sized or small cities. Even in San Diego all I ever hear is Spanish being spoken as a foreign language. Now I know there are probably other foreign langauges spoken there but nothing like the magnitude of Spanish. This true most everywhere in Calif.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:51 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
A discussion was started in a closed topic about language use in public, and how it is so bothersome when people use non-english languages while speaking to each other in public. The whole point I was trying to make is that we need to stop freaking out about things that don't directly affect us. If people want to speak in another language in public, let them do it, since they aren't talking to you it doesn't and shouldn't concern you.

Also, although the language argument is constantly brought up in this forum, I don't believe it really relates to illegal immigration, it really is a completely seperate issue as far as I'm concerned, that just so happens to be clumped with it because of the large population of undocumented Spanish speaking immigrants.
Well said, this is really common sense issue and not a political one. There are plenty of American citizens who speak foreign languages and prefer to communicate with each other in a foreign language. You shouldn't be listening in on their conversation in the first place and if you are offended because you can't understand them then you are a disturbed individual.

That's why these anti-immigration enthusiasts are opposed to more than simply illegal immigration. They are xenophobic and have a fear of foreigners and foreign culture and they see people speaking a foreign language even amongst themselves as a threat. They are truly bigoted and uninformed individuals.

I believe that English should be a requirement for becoming a citizen of this country including voting and driver's license exams. However, I'm not opposed to people speaking in their foreign language and don't see that as a threat.

I truly wish I could find a group of anti-immigration enthusiasts that were not fascist wack jobs.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBorn View Post
I grew up in the USA speaking English, in order to become a naturalized citizen you must pass the test to read, write and speak basic English. Traditionally in our culture, it was considered rude to speak when you could not be understood by others. I believe this is tradition in the Mexican culture as well because my mother and father-in-law will speak in Spanish to each other but when I am around they switch to English for my benefit because they do not want to be rude. My husband will speak to his parents on the phone in Spanish, when we are all in the same room everyone speaks English because they do not want to be rude. To me it is about courtesy. It has nothing to do with trying to listen in on a private conversation.
You misunderstood the OP. Your example is completely different. If you are having 10 friends over and all of you are sitting together and having dinner. And someone speaks in Spanish to someone sitting accross the table in an audible manner and 4 of them don't understand Spanish, that is not courteous.

However, if a couple is walking down the street in downtown and are having a conversation amongst themselves and they prefer to communicate in their native language and a passerby can't understand them, that is different. If the person passing by is offended, he or she has no right to be. And the couple were not rude. If the person was eaves dropping in on a conversation, that could be interpreted as being rude.

To me this is common sense and goes beyond politics. This is about social darwinism and IQ. I'm sorry but only a low IQ individual would fail to appreciate the difference in the above two scenarios.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBorn View Post
Fox Terrier, I think you made a very good point. I too worked with many Indians and a gentleman from Belgium and never once heard them speak anything but English. Why is that?
That isn't true, Indians speak in Hindi and Gujrati all the time. I hear it when I go shopping as they are speaking to each other in that language when they are talking amongst themselves. I don't take offense to that but then again I'm not a bigot and a xenophobe. Anyone who would take offense to a couple speaking in a foreign language amongst themselves is a bigot.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:18 PM

706 posts, read 939,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Well said, this is really common sense issue and not a political one. There are plenty of American citizens who speak foreign languages and prefer to communicate with each other in a foreign language. You shouldn't be listening in on their conversation in the first place and if you are offended because you can't understand them then you are a disturbed individual.

That's why these anti-immigration enthusiasts are opposed to more than simply illegal immigration. They are xenophobic and have a fear of foreigners and foreign culture and they see people speaking a foreign language even amongst themselves as a threat. They are truly bigoted and uninformed individuals.

I believe that English should be a requirement for becoming a citizen of this country including voting and driver's license exams. However, I'm not opposed to people speaking in their foreign language and don't see that as a threat.

I truly wish I could find a group of anti-immigration enthusiasts that were not fascist wack jobs.
Perhaps if You were to peruse an Anti-Immigration " forum somewhere rather than an Illegal Immigration forum You just might have more success...

Old 11-18-2009, 05:19 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Alright, so what we have here are a few different ideas......

The first is that people ought to be able to speak whatever they want to whomever they want as long as it is not interfering with business or social interactions - correct? I believe that we are just about unanimous in understanding this should be fine.

The second thing is that people ought to know, speak and understand English to become a citizen of the US and get a drivers license. I believe we are probably in about 90% in agreement on this point.

Then there is a random thread going on here that Hispanics are going to be the majority and the rest of us 'Americans' are f'ed. Does it make me a xenophobe not to feel warm and fuzzy at this posters vision of the future? Luckily most of us don't agree with that or even really understand what the point this poster is trying to make.

Finally, it seems that there is an argument going on that the only 'good' people who are against illegal immigration is just one particular guy. The rest of us are bigots etc, etc.... because....of what, exactly? I mean, short of shouting it from the rooftops that I and most others on this board do not care what someone speaks at home or out in public with friends, I don't see how we can be proven to be 'good' anti-illegal immigration people.

Maybe we need a poll...........

Old 11-18-2009, 05:32 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Considering that we have over 300 US citizens: how in the hell are we going to be innudated by over 270 foreigners??? The 2010 Census is mere months away and we have maybe 12 million, tops, illegals along with maybe 20 million legal aliens (green card holders) here presently.

If bringing up Hispanics-----------discussing Mexico, that nation only has 110 million citizens so that blows your theory out of the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration