Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 02:27 PM

883 posts, read 519,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBorn View Post
What do you mean by that? In order to be in this country legally, meaning become a naturalized citizen, you must speak English and you must take an oath of allegiance and renounce your previous citizenship and allegiance to your homeland.

Wrong SDBorn

You can become a naturalized citizen and still be a citizen of another country at the same time

No need to renounce your previous citizenship to your other homeland

you can have a dual citizenship

plus in some cases as my son has just explained to me

you do not need to speak english to become a citizen

Old 11-18-2009, 02:37 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DulceJ View Post
The United States of America can become a third world country someday, so do you mean everyone in this country would be considered ignorants?
Possible; especially if stern steps are not taken to close/lock at least our southern border along with mandatory E-Verify, etc. to force the illegals out of the USA.

Quote:
How do YOU personally know who is a criminal and who is not?
If I knew for a fact that someone was a criminal---------I would call the authorities.

Quote:
I do not believe everyone who is Illegal is a criminal
Factoring in ID theft, non reporting of income, etc. I can safely say that 100% of all illegal aliens age 18 up are criminals.

Quote:
There is a bunch of Legal born people where I live that are CRIMINALS
Irrelevant to this conversation; we are discussing illegal aliens, not US citizen lawbreakers.

Quote:
I think people in this Country are scared
because in about 6 years we (AMERICANS) are going to be the minorities.
I think not-------especially with the growing deportations of (mostly) Hispanic illegal aliens. As it is; we are down about 1-2 million illegals compared to 2 years ago.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:39 PM

309 posts, read 427,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Right, but by saying "In order to be in this country legally, meaning become a naturalized citizen" you are assuming that unless you become a naturalized citizen that you are not in the country legally, when that in fact is not true at all. You can have permanent residency and live your entire life in the US without becoming a citizen and you'd still be in the country legally, you can work legally, do pretty much everything a citizen can do except vote.

The miniature American flags comment was a joke, obviously you don't want The Simpsons.
Let me clarify again then since my use of "meaning" was not clear.

In order to become a naturalized citizen in this country, you must be able to read, write and speak English and you must renounce your previous homeland and you must take an oath of allegiance to the United States of America. And no, I do not watch The Simpsons.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:57 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
I think people in this Country are scared
because in about 6 years we (AMERICANS) are going to be the minorities.
Now I’m confused. I thought the “immigrants” came here in search of the American Dream -- in other words, to become “Americans.” However, according to you, in 6 years “Americans” will be the minority. Also, I’m already a minority, so how will that change?

Old 11-18-2009, 03:02 PM

Yeah, that is confusing huh? Maybe by Americans DulceJ meant white folk because of course the assumption is that Americans will always be in the majority unless we are taken over by another country and no longer called the United States of America.

Last edited by SDBorn; 11-18-2009 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 11-18-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Now I’m confused. I thought the “immigrants” came here in search of the American Dream -- in other words, to become “Americans.” However, according to you, in 6 years “Americans” will be the minority. Also, I’m already a minority, so how will that change?
It's been all over the news
and recent studies in approx 6 years "We the Americans in this country" will become the minority.

To your other question I do not have the answer

Old 11-18-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Wrong SDBorn

You can become a naturalized citizen and still be a citizen of another country at the same time

No need to renounce your previous citizenship to your other homeland

you can have a dual citizenship

plus in some cases as my son has just explained to me

you do not need to speak english to become a citizen
May I suggest you go back and read the entire thread? On page one I provided a link to USCIS - General Naturalization Requirements. My comment at that time indicated that the instances where English basics would be waived. (You've lived in the counry legally for 20 years and are 50 + years old etc.)

The same website quoted above lists out the other requirements if you are interested in reading it for yourself. But this part is on there too:

Oath of Allegiance
To become a citizen, one must take the oath of allegiance. By doing so, an applicant swears to:
  • support the Constitution and obey the laws of the U.S.;
  • renounce any foreign allegiance and/or foreign title; and
  • bear arms for the Armed Forces of the U.S. or perform services for the government of the U.S. when required.
In certain instances, where the applicant establishes that he or she is opposed to any type of service in armed forces based on religious teaching or belief, INS will permit these applicants to take a modified oath."

Old 11-18-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that is confusing huh? Maybe by Americans DulceJ meant white folk because of course the assumption is that Americans will always be in the majority unless we are taken over by another country and no longer called the United States of America.
Why white folks only? there are blacks in this country do you think only whites are Americans?

I am a black American and proud to be an American and Black

you have not listened to the news and the studies

No need to be taken over by another country we will be taken over by the growing numbers of hispanics in this country

check it out is been all over the news

Old 11-18-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Let me clarify again then since my use of "meaning" was not clear.

In order to become a naturalized citizen in this country, you must be able to read, write and speak English and you must renounce your previous homeland and you must take an oath of allegiance to the United States of America. And no, I do not watch The Simpsons.
Can you post a USA Government link here where it says you must renounce your previous homeland?

To be Naturalized citizen in the United States

Old 11-18-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
May I suggest you go back and read the entire thread? On page one I provided a link to USCIS - General Naturalization Requirements. My comment at that time indicated that the instances where English basics would be waived. (You've lived in the counry legally for 20 years and are 50 + years old etc.)

The same website quoted above lists out the other requirements if you are interested in reading it for yourself. But this part is on there too:

Oath of Allegiance

To become a citizen, one must take the oath of allegiance. By doing so, an applicant swears to:
  • support the Constitution and obey the laws of the U.S.;
  • renounce any foreign allegiance and/or foreign title; and
  • bear arms for the Armed Forces of the U.S. or perform services for the government of the U.S. when required.
In certain instances, where the applicant establishes that he or she is opposed to any type of service in armed forces based on religious teaching or belief, INS will permit these applicants to take a modified oath."

ok...will read thread from begining
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration