Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:43 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,417 times

Advertisements

Currently, we have over 35 million Americans out of work, and climbing. What is the rational for curbing immigration, or perhaps better, having a moratorium on immigration. Shouldn't Americans have a right to determine this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 07:47 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Currently, we have over 35 million Americans out of work, and climbing. What is the rational for curbing immigration, or perhaps better, having a moratorium on immigration. Shouldn't Americans have a right to determine this?
I am perplexed as well.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:47 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Unfortunately the traitors in congress are the only ones who can make those decisions and they are in the back pockets of the greedy employers and the other party looks to immigration both legal and illegal as future voters.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:07 PM

706 posts, read 940,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Unfortunately the traitors in congress are the only ones who can make those decisions and they are in the back pockets of the greedy employers and the other party looks to immigration both legal and illegal as future voters.
Unfortunately, the American people are the ones who make those decisions, and are the ONLY ones responsible for the current state of America...Not Bush,not even the appologizer in chief,Obamadinijad...

It appears that we threw in the towel many years ago....

"We have met the enemy, and he is us" (Pogo)

just my opinion....

regards,
Borderlord

Old 11-18-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
Unfortunately, the American people are the ones who make those decisions, and are the ONLY ones responsible for the current state of America...Not Bush,not even the appologizer in chief,Obamadinijad...

just my opinion....

regards,
Borderlord
Well I will have to disagree with you on this one. The American people have no control over immigration matters. Yes, we have been voting in some idiots in congress but they don't usually show their idiocy until after they have been voted in. It is hard to know who you can trust nowadays. Many a politican has flipped flopped after their campaign promises.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:56 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:

just my opinion....

regards,
Borderlord
Exactly what I've said many times in the past on this forum.

America is a free country....we 'wrote the book' on self-government; we ARE the government. If something needs 'doing' here, we have only "us" to turn to...no benevolent ally is standing by to do it for us, and no powerful oppressor is threatening us to 'dance to its tune'. We're America, and nothing goes on here unless we let it.

History will not judge us kindly, I'm afraid...the 'shining beacon' which was once the envy of the world, admired by most and respected by the rest, which succeeded in gradually 'throwing it all away' in the interest of Political Correctness, Societal Guilt, misplaced "compassion", multicultural 'non-judgementalism', and spineless pandering to ethnic pressure groups.....along with a healthy dose of pure self-interest and "me first" greed.

300 years from now, nobody will regard the demise of the US as the doings of 'the traitors in Congress', nor will they blame 'penniless foreigners' for breaching our borders...nor will they blame 'greedy businessmen'. They'll blame us...the present-day population of the USA, whom at that time will be recalled by history (if they're recalled at all) only as "the people who once had it all, and then stood by and let it slip through their fingers".

Old 11-18-2009, 09:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Are you kidding..it's plain as day.

By 2012 the Dems will grant amnesty. The new citizens will be greatful to the Dems and re-election is a shoe-in.

American citizens though will be living under bridges if the economy keeps going the way it's going.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:06 PM

706 posts, read 940,095 times
CN,
Ultimately.the people do have control over immigration,,,I feel that they are too busy working,taking care of their children, and in many cases,do not have the time to attend a protest/rally.....
while the politicians may switch allegiance once elected,that in no way excuses the people from getting involved when a chance presents itself.....

Since the "pro illegal" demonstrations in 2006 ( 500,000 in Lost Angeles alone). the state of this country has gotten progressively worse....

Last week-end, we had 20 or so people in Big Bear Calif, and 50-75 in Pasadena.....

So, my question is....."where are all of these people who care about this country and the direction She is being led?"

As I said in an earlier post...."freedom is not a spectator sport"

Time for them to get involved and be heard.....

There isn't much time left....and not just concerning illegal immigration....

No offense, or accusation intended,,,jmo

Borderlord

Last edited by borderlord; 11-18-2009 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-19-2009, 05:49 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Are you kidding..it's plain as day.

By 2012 the Dems will grant amnesty. The new citizens will be greatful to the Dems and re-election is a shoe-in.

American citizens though will be living under bridges if the economy keeps going the way it's going.
I doubt it. Especially factoring in that Republicans won the governorships of two major states earlier this month, New Jersey and Virginia. Also the Dems are fast losing support the longer this recession drags on.

Face it: hostility is growing against illegal aliens and their enablers by the day.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
CN,
Ultimately.the people do have control over immigration,,,I feel that they are too busy working,taking care of their children, and in many cases,do not have the time to attend a protest/rally.....
while the politicians may switch allegiance once elected,that in no way excuses the people from getting involved when a chance presents itself.....

Since the "pro illegal" demonstrations in 2006 ( 500,000 in Lost Angeles alone). the state of this country has gotten progressively worse....

Last week-end, we had 20 or so people in Big Bear Calif, and 50-75 in Pasadena.....

So, my question is....."where are all of these people who care about this country and the direction She is being led?"

As I said in an earlier post...."freedom is not a spectator sport"

Time for them to get involved and be heard.....

There isn't much time left....and not just concerning illegal immigration....

No offense, or accusation intended,,,jmo

Borderlord
You do make some good points. Mine was just that Americans cannot vote on immigration issues or make immigration policy. Only congress does.

A couple of years ago when they tried to ram CIR down our throats Americans burnt up the phone lines to stop it and we succeeded. You are correct we need to keep the pressure on and turn out in droves to protest the giving away of our country to illegal foreigners and demand that our immigration laws be respected and enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration