U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2009, 11:59 PM
 
3,071 posts, read 7,444,911 times
Reputation: 1619

Advertisements

Its not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2009, 05:53 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You are not going to get me to agree to your bigoted and fascist view. You feel empowered because you have the same 2 people agree with you on every post. You should feel embarrassed that you think it's rude that people can't speak a foreign language in a private conversation amongst themselves in a public setting. There just aren't enough normal people in this forum to tell you what I'm telling you because they realize most of the people in here think like you.
If being prejudiced against criminals makes me a bigot/facist----------then I carry that label with pride.

Illegal aliens=criminal losers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 05:58 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That's different because the skateboarder might potentially skate in front of you and harm you. How is someone who is speaking Spanish amongst themselves in a private conversation going to affect you? Sorry, it makes no sense. The only way someone is offended by people speaking Spanish amongst themselves is if they are xenophobic. Oh well, I'm not suprised. Most bigots never think they are bigoted.
The PR damage has been done by mostly Spanish speaking illegal aliens; what do YOU propose as a solution?

Speaking for myself: that festering wound needs to be lanced via forced deportations, E-Verify, ethnic profiling (if done respectfully), making English our official language as well as specifically banning birthright citizenship for Anchor Babies born after a certain arbitrary date, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 07:08 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You are not going to get me to agree to your bigoted and fascist view. You feel empowered because you have the same 2 people agree with you on every post. You should feel embarrassed that you think it's rude that people can't speak a foreign language in a private conversation amongst themselves in a public setting. There just aren't enough normal people in this forum to tell you what I'm telling you because they realize most of the people in here think like you.
Of course you won't because it is the bigoted view that YOU hold towards our language and culture and our right to expect it to be respected and your objection to assimilation in this country that keeps you from thinking clearly and not comprehending our objection. It is about rudeness, disrespect and non-assimilation. Since it is mostly Spanish that is the problem it is a constant reminder of the magnitude of this illegal invasion from south of our border also. I don't know how to make it any plainer for you. Sorry, you can't understand that or refuse to.

Last edited by chicagonut; 11-20-2009 at 07:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You are not going to get me to agree to your bigoted and fascist view. You feel empowered because you have the same 2 people agree with you on every post. You should feel embarrassed that you think it's rude that people can't speak a foreign language in a private conversation amongst themselves in a public setting. There just aren't enough normal people in this forum to tell you what I'm telling you because they realize most of the people in here think like you.
The language issue is simply human nature. Prior to the invasion, I doubt many gave a second thought to hearing Spanish spoken in public. However, the fact that Spanish is the language of the vast majority of illegal aliens, and the fact that they are being accommodated in their language, naturally becomes an irritant to many citizens. Hearing so much Spanish becomes a constant reminder of the presence of 20+ million illegal foreigners.

I entered an elevator at a hospital, and two ladies who were already on the elevator were speaking French. They immediately stopped speaking French, and began to speak English. Why? Because, they had enough class to realize it would have been rude for them to continue their conversation in close quarters in a language they assumed I did not understand.

Many of us understand Spanish, but that isn’t the issue. At issue is the refusal of our government to enforce our laws. Allowing illegal aliens to have unfettered access to our country has created an environment of comfort. As such, they now feel emboldened to flaunt their presence, and many do so by deliberately speaking Spanish at high volume.

When I am engaged in a private conversation in public, my conversation IS private. However, when a conversation is so loud that it can be heard by everyone within 200 feet, it ceases to be PRIVATE. It is simply rude. . . in ANY language.

Are we “normal” only if we share your point of view?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 07:47 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The language issue is simply human nature. Prior to the invasion, I doubt many gave a second thought to hearing Spanish spoken in public. However, the fact that Spanish is the language of the vast majority of illegal aliens, and the fact that they are being accommodated in their language, naturally becomes an irritant to many citizens. Hearing so much Spanish becomes a constant reminder of the presence of 20+ million illegal foreigners.

I entered an elevator at a hospital, and two ladies who were already on the elevator were speaking French. They immediately stopped speaking French, and began to speak English. Why? Because, they had enough class to realize it would have been rude for them to continue their conversation in close quarters in a language they assumed I did not understand.

Many of us understand Spanish, but that isn’t the issue. At issue is the refusal of our government to enforce our laws. Allowing illegal aliens to have unfettered access to our country has created an environment of comfort. As such, they now feel emboldened to flaunt their presence, and many do so by deliberately speaking Spanish at high volume.

When I am engaged in a private conversation in public, my conversation IS private. However, when a conversation is so loud that it can be heard by everyone within 200 feet, it ceases to be PRIVATE. It is simply rude. . . in ANY language.

Are we “normal” only if we share your point of view?
Thats just it! There always seems to be a half dozen of them together in a store and they are all talking loudly in Spanish with each other.

I was waiting for a store to open one day and a Hispanic woman came up and we enjoyed a nice conversation in English together while waiting. Another Hispanic woman came up and all of a sudden the conversation switched to Spanish between the two of them. I thought perhaps the second woman didn't know how to speak Engish but when I said something to her in English she understood me perfectly and replied to me in perfect English. WTH?

Last edited by chicagonut; 11-20-2009 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Thats just it! There always seems to be a half dozen of them together in a store and they are all talking loudly in Spanish with each other.

I was waiting for a store to open one day and a Hispanic woman came up and we enjoyed a nice conversation in English together while waiting. Another Hispanic woman came up and all of a sudden the conversation switched to Spanish between the two of them. I thought perhaps the second woman didn't know how to speak Engish but when I said something to her in English she understood me perfectly and replied to me in perfect English. WTH?
I swear that many (especially Spanish speaking) Latinos seem to 'forget' that our Southwest is a part of the USA-----------not Mexico. Definitely a textbook example of that loser tribal mentality you have outlined previously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 10:52 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I swear that many (especially Spanish speaking) Latinos seem to 'forget' that our Southwest is a part of the USA-----------not Mexico. Definitely a textbook example of that loser tribal mentality you have outlined previously.
The thing that really got me is that these two women didn't even know each other so why would the first one assume that the second didn't know English? Why was she being rude and speaking in my presence in Spanish all of a sudden when we just had a friendly conversation in English? Why would the two continue speaking in Spanish and start to ignore me and exclude me from the conversation? It was just plain rude!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 11:08 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Here is another example of their rudeness. I was waiting in line another time to pay for my purchases at a store. I am a friendly person so it isn't unlike me to strike up conversations with those around me regardless of ethnicity. A Hispanic man and I in line struck up a conversation in English. He was just ahead of me. As soon as he got to the cashier the cashier who was also Hispanic immediately started to talk to him in Spanish. Why did she assume he didn't know how to speak English? I think it particularly rude when an employee starts talking to a customer in a foreign language without even knowing if they speak English or not within earshot of other customers. This is just the tip of the iceberg here and some people in here wonder why I resent hearing Spanish all the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Here is another example of their rudeness. I was waiting in line another time to pay for my purchases at a store. I am a friendly person so it isn't unlike me to strike up conversations with those around me regardless of ethnicity. A Hispanic man and I in line struck up a conversation in English. He was just ahead of me. As soon as he got to the cashier the cashier who was also Hispanic immediately started to talk to him in Spanish. Why did she assume he didn't know how to speak English? I think it particularly rude when an employee starts talking to a customer in a foreign language without even knowing if they speak English or not within earshot of other customers. This is just the tip of the iceberg here and some people in here wonder why I resent hearing Spanish all the time?
What you just outlined reminded me of a funny incident 25 years ago in SoCal: a Mexican walked into a place and proceeded to speak in Spanish to a Chicano. One slight problem: said Chicano spoke English only whereupon a Nordic White Anglo replied to the Mexican gentleman in Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top