Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 02:10 AM

4 posts, read 18,300 times

Advertisements

I'm tired of people saying it's "racist" to be against illegal immigration. That is hardly the case...people are most likely upset that these immigrants are BREAKING THE LAW, yet we're just supposed to look the other way... What's next, amnesty for all criminals? America is known for being a melting pot -- there are legal immigrants from all over the world here, key word legal. If all of these illegals came in the correct way, and became productive members of society, I highly doubt there would be as much animosity towards them? I don't know, I personally enjoy diversity and love learning about new cultures, but I don't understand why we would condone a criminal act?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 06:19 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,579,059 times
It's just easier to nit pick and put blame on people that don't believe as you do vs counter points, data and thought.

Illegal Immigration cannot be put into a category of racism, why? Because illegal is not a race, never will be. Illegal is a classification because of an act. An illegal act that has occurred because a law was broken. A law that every developed Country has.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:01 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,333,199 times
I didn't get the memo, that stated illegal people in America were classified as a race?

The only race I see, is how fast they can get across that weak border, into the USA.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:37 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,279,856 times
The two concepts aren't mutually exclusive, but they do tend to accompany each other in certain cases.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:37 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,139,168 times
It isn't racist to be anti-illegal immigration. The race card is used to divert, distract, or redirect away from the issue at hand. The issue being that we have 12 million + illegals in this country. Every one of which is a criminal. Every one of which has absolutely no right to be here. Every one of which needs to go back to their country of origin.
The pro side would have us believe that the illegals are all good, honest, hard working people deserving of our forgivness. The pro side would like us to overlook the fact that thousands of US citizens fall victim to illegals and crimes committed by illegals every year. They would use excuses that we have more home grown criminals anyway and that the crimes committed by illegals are insignificant. So in the begining , middle and end of their argument they use the word racist to try to explain why anyone does not agree with them. If you point out that hispanics constitute 75% of all illegals and that is why they get the majority of attention, then you are a racist.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:38 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,492,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki2323 View Post
I'm tired of people saying it's "racist" to be against illegal immigration. That is hardly the case...people are most likely upset that these immigrants are BREAKING THE LAW, yet we're just supposed to look the other way... What's next, amnesty for all criminals? America is known for being a melting pot -- there are legal immigrants from all over the world here, key word legal. If all of these illegals came in the correct way, and became productive members of society, I highly doubt there would be as much animosity towards them? I don't know, I personally enjoy diversity and love learning about new cultures, but I don't understand why we would condone a criminal act?
No, it isn’t racist to oppose illegal immigration; anymore than it is to oppose embezzlers, burglars, scammers, or myriad other criminal behavior. The fact that the majority of illegal aliens are Hispanic, most notably Mexican, is being used as a racial strategy by the profiteers of illegal immigration. They portray illegals as being victims of unfair laws, and frequently hijack the Civil Rights Movement to garner support from gullible bleeding hearts and the guilt-ridden, many whom would support almost anything to avoid being labeled a racist.

Their strategy can be likened to that of a defense attorney who resorts to character assassination of a victim, to divert attention away from the heinous crime of a defendant. When there is no defense, the best defense is to demonize the victim, thus marginalizing the crime. Since there is no defense for illegal immigration, they have borrowed a page from defense attorneys and use baseless accusations of racism to vilify ALL opposition. It’s just that simple.

Sure, there are racists who oppose illegal immigration; just as there are racists who oppose ID theft, fraud, etc. Does that mean all who oppose these crimes are racists? Of course not!

Unfortunately, many of the most vociferous anti-illegals are in fact racists. They are also the primary focus of the media. After all, they are the only ones who lend credence to their racism argument. A few have even visited this forum to spread their bigotry. They certainly do not help our cause, and they most definitely are not welcome. Fortunately, they generally don’t last. I will NEVER coalesce with the likes of the KKK or other despicable individuals or groups. Our focus may have similarities, but our motives are worlds apart.

Don’t let them upset you. They are only shooting blanks.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:39 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,333,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
The two concepts aren't mutually exclusive, but they do tend to accompany each other in certain cases.

I disagree.
Care to explain farther?

Old 11-19-2009, 12:13 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,265,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No, it isn’t racist to oppose illegal immigration; anymore than it is to oppose embezzlers, burglars, scammers, or myriad other criminal behavior. The fact that the majority of illegal aliens are Hispanic, most notably Mexican, is being used as a racial strategy by the profiteers of illegal immigration. They portray illegals as being victims of unfair laws, and frequently hijack the Civil Rights Movement to garner support from gullible bleeding hearts and the guilt-ridden, many whom would support almost anything to avoid being labeled a racist.

Their strategy can be likened to that of a defense attorney who resorts to character assassination of a victim, to divert attention away from the heinous crime of a defendant. When there is no defense, the best defense is to demonize the victim, thus marginalizing the crime. Since there is no defense for illegal immigration, they have borrowed a page from defense attorneys and use baseless accusations of racism to vilify ALL opposition. It’s just that simple.

Sure, there are racists who oppose illegal immigration; just as there are racists who oppose ID theft, fraud, etc. Does that mean all who oppose these crimes are racists? Of course not!

Unfortunately, many of the most vociferous anti-illegals are in fact racists. They are also the primary focus of the media. After all, they are the only ones who lend credence to their racism argument. A few have even visited this forum to spread their bigotry. They certainly do not help our cause, and they most definitely are not welcome. Fortunately, they generally don’t last. I will NEVER coalesce with the likes of the KKK or other despicable individuals or groups. Our focus may have similarities, but our motives are worlds apart.

Don’t let them upset you. They are only shooting blanks.
Once again an excellent post!

Old 11-19-2009, 12:51 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,211,921 times
Because it's never just about illegal immigration with many people. For example, I'm on your side. I oppose illegal immigration 100%. I think we should require proficiency in English to become a citizen. I think drivers license and voting should be in English. However, I've noticed the anti-illegal immigration crowd are also disturbed by petty things like people speaking Spanish amongst themselves publicly. I mean what does that have to do with illegal immigration? So now people are not allowed to speak a foreign language amongst themselves even if they are here legally and can speak English but choose to speak Spanish amongst themselves? I'm sorry but there is no logical reason to ask for that unless you are xenophobic and bigoted.

Also, you hear stupid reasons about assimilation. Now even if people are here legally, and speak and read fluent English, they are being bad if they don't live exactly like White Americans or "assimilate" Again, what does this have to do with legal immigration status and English proficiency? This is just further proof that many of the anti-illegal immigration enthusiasts go beyond demanding legal immigration and English skills status. A lot of them are racist and avoid admitting their true feelings and opinions and circumvent that by demanding petty things like "assimilation" and "don't speak Spanish where I can hear it"....it's obvious what their intentions and feelings are. They don't want just legal immigration and English proficiency, they want you to act exactly like them otherwise they aren't American-enought. That's racist! I'm all for protecting our borders, demanding English proficiency and legal immigration but I don't support racism and bigotry and unfortunately a lot of these anti-illegal immigration enthusiasts are racist.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:03 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,211,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
It isn't racist to be anti-illegal immigration. The race card is used to divert, distract, or redirect away from the issue at hand. The issue being that we have 12 million + illegals in this country. Every one of which is a criminal. Every one of which has absolutely no right to be here. Every one of which needs to go back to their country of origin.
The pro side would have us believe that the illegals are all good, honest, hard working people deserving of our forgivness. The pro side would like us to overlook the fact that thousands of US citizens fall victim to illegals and crimes committed by illegals every year. They would use excuses that we have more home grown criminals anyway and that the crimes committed by illegals are insignificant. So in the begining , middle and end of their argument they use the word racist to try to explain why anyone does not agree with them. If you point out that hispanics constitute 75% of all illegals and that is why they get the majority of attention, then you are a racist.
That's not true. I'm also 100% opposed to illegal immigration and demand English proficiency and govt. document be made in English. And the racism by many of the anti illegal immigration crowd is real. This crowd also demands "assimilation" even if people are here legally and are proficient in English. And they also demand that people not speak a foreign language publicly even if it's a private conversation amongst themselves when they are in public. The pro immigration people didn't make up these two points I just mentioned. Read the threads, you will see anti illegal immigration enthusiasts stating that.

Personally, I really wish there were people like myself who were opposed to illegal immigration and demanded English proficiency but were not involved with the extra bigoted crap that you hear on these forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration