U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2007, 09:43 AM

15 posts, read 73,474 times

Advertisements

One of the proposals about illegal immigration is to make it almost impossible for them to get or keep a job. Right now about 10 million of them are working, mostly using false documents. I wonder if the government made it nearly impossible for the Illegals to work and they were basically fired without a job because of their immigration status, what would they do?

Would the newly unemployed illegal alien:

Find a way to make it back to their home county and try to make a new life there even if it was likely that there would be no job for them in Mexico or where ever? Millions of illegals would leave America over time solving the problem.

Stay in America, riot, commit crime and cause all kind of trouble because they are now desparate and out of work.

I think the answer to this question is the key to solving the illegal immigration problem. Your ideas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 10:02 AM

9,124 posts, read 30,925,784 times
Maybe they'll keep heading north and become Canada's problem- they headed north the last time they felt they weren't being treated well.

Bob

Old 05-15-2007, 11:47 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,038,102 times
They'll leave the same way they got here, on their own dime.

More than half of the illegal immigrants here from Mexico HAD JOBS when they left. They didn't come to work, they came for MORE MONEY.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:00 PM

11,878 posts, read 31,747,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
They'll leave the same way they got here, on their own dime.

More than half of the illegal immigrants here from Mexico HAD JOBS when they left. They didn't come to work, they came for MORE MONEY.
Agreed. They will go back home in due time.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:05 PM

6 posts, read 26,888 times
no illegals will go back if they cant work theyll just be pissed and litter all over just like they already do but more!

Old 05-15-2007, 01:44 PM

11,878 posts, read 31,747,974 times
Believe me, they'll go back. At the very least, the flood of them coming across the border will slow down to more manageable levels.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:52 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,078,230 times
Frankly I don't know if I would trust them to do that. I think they should be loaded up on buses and sent home.

When I lived in Texas it was not unusual to see an immigration busload on I'35 headed south...

Yes that would cost the US money and yes we would have to reajdust but I believe the US will be stronger in the end.

Not only do I think its wrong to have illegal immigrants working here, I also think its wrong and should be punished when employers here hire them, pay them sub stangard wages, don't offer them benefits if they are injured on the job...our whole economy is a mess because of this whole practice...

Old 05-15-2007, 02:17 PM

2,429 posts, read 5,796,950 times
Many would go back, but the criminal element would not leave.

The key is whether or not they would still qualify for social welfare benefits. If they did they would stay. And many states would offer these criminals welfare benefits even if the feds cut them off. But being unemployed here is much better than being unemployed in Mexico so many would just refuse to leave. It's also safer here than in Mexico. Here they don't have to put up with the crooked politicians and drug lords, well for the most part they don't anyway. Plus if they stay any children born here are citizens. Still a great deal of them would not go back voluntarily, we would have to pull an Eisenhower and force them across the border. To encourage them to go on their own we would have to seize their assets, (car, house, paychecks) using RICO type laws. Plus we would need to pass some sort of illegal alien tax so we could nail them with tax evasion when finally caught.

One possible solution would be to offer a federal bounty on illegals. 500 dollars a head, 1000 dollars a head, or whatever price the market would bear. Then just let the bounty hunters sort them out.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:21 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,078,230 times
Good point, as a friend who works for the local hospital told me, illegal aliens use the ER as their primary care physician, they have nothing to pay for the services rendered and in the end the government reimburses the hospital along the rate of Medicaid pay outs...

Old 05-15-2007, 02:29 PM

185 posts, read 307,259 times
From my understanding, out of the 30,000,000 illegal invaders that are here only 7,000,000 are working. That leaves 23,000,000 doing what?

"They just come here to work" is a load of crap! With news of possible amnesty they are coming over in droves, about 8,000 entering illegally everyday!

They are here to take what they haven't earned. I'm sure you've noticed the lack of accoutability, civility and of course the ever present "sense of entitlement."

"You" have more money than "them," the way they think it's your responsibility to share.

Build the damn wall already, it's a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration