U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 07:37 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
MIAHUATLÁN, Mexico — During the best of the times, Miguel Salcedo’s son, an illegal immigrant in San Diego, would be sending home hundreds of dollars a month to support his struggling family in Mexico. But at times like these, with the American economy out of whack and his son out of work, Mr. Salcedo finds himself doing what he never imagined he would have to do: wiring pesos north.

Unemployment has hit migrant communities in the United States so hard that a startling new phenomenon has been detected: instead of receiving remittances from relatives in the richest country on earth, some down-and-out Mexican families are scraping together what they can to support their unemployed loved ones in the United States.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/16/wo.../16mexico.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 07:42 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
I swear: if I were here illegally in the USA-----------I would simply leave under the circumstances.

PS: I glanced at the article and noted the refigerator and stove in the background..........those folks in Mexico are living no worse than some rural Americans did 40 years ago.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I swear: if I were here illegally in the USA-----------I would simply leave under the circumstances.

PS: I glanced at the article and noted the refigerator and stove in the background..........those folks in Mexico are living no worse than some rural Americans did 40 years ago.
So would I. Let’s hope they soon realize we owe them nothing, and if they expect to survive, they will have to return home.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:14 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
What an odd culture that your children are your 401k.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:49 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What an odd culture that your children are your 401k.
Its common to see in many cultures where the children become adults and help the parents in their old age. There is nothing odd about it. I consider myself to be assimilated but I hold dear to me many traditions in my culture which I would not trade in the name of assimilation. This is one of them. While in the US, it is common to place parents in assisted living because they become a nuisance, I would never put my parents throught that. I would either take care of them myself or make sure another family member would.

If our parents took care of us when we were children, we have a moral obligation to take care of them as well...that is the culture and I dont find anything odd with it.

As far as the remittances is concerned, this should show you that it is not that easy to take the children that have been born and raised in this country with you when many of them are now adults, some are teens and some have both teens and children. Some of them whom will not follow the parents to their countries and the parents do not want to see the family ripped apart.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Its common to see in many cultures where the children become adults and help the parents in their old age. There is nothing odd about it. I consider myself to be assimilated but I hold dear to me many traditions in my culture which I would not trade in the name of assimilation. This is one of them. While in the US, it is common to place parents in assisted living because they become a nuisance, I would never put my parents throught that. I would either take care of them myself or make sure another family member would.

If our parents took care of us when we were children, we have a moral obligation to take care of them as well...that is the culture and I dont find anything odd with it.

As far as the remittances is concerned, this should show you that it is not that easy to take the children that have been born and raised in this country with you when many of them are now adults, some are teens and some have both teens and children. Some of them whom will not follow the parents to their countries and the parents do not want to see the family ripped apart.
People in the US put use rest homes because they themselves are never home as both parents work. In home care is extremely expensive. How would you feel if your Mother fell in the morning and bled to death from a torn artery? I guess you could always hire someone illegally (smug).
The remttances are just a reminder that these two cultures are a vast expanse apart and won't ever assimilate.
Ripping apart families starts when the first trespasser steps foot on US soil leaving the home Country and family behind.

If you think Americans do it because their Parents become a nuisance, well then, you don't know much about Americans.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:50 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
People in the US put use rest homes because they themselves are never home as both parents work. In home care is extremely expensive. How would you feel if your Mother fell in the morning and bled to death from a torn artery? I guess you could always hire someone illegally (smug).
The remttances are just a reminder that these two cultures are a vast expanse apart and won't ever assimilate.
Ripping apart families starts when the first trespasser steps foot on US soil leaving the home Country and family behind.

If you think Americans do it because their Parents become a nuisance, well then, you don't know much about Americans.
I agree with your post especially the part that I bolded. That 'ripping apart' nonsense is an insult to us Americans. Talk about trying to lay guilt on the wrong people.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:27 AM

60,078 posts, read 30,599,526 times
This is actually the perfect time to give them a boot in the azz, to get them going in the right direction south, without thinking about stopping.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I agree with your post especially the part that I bolded. That 'ripping apart' nonsense is an insult to us Americans. Talk about trying to lay guilt on the wrong people.
Victim mentality. It's always someone else's fault why they have to break laws. This goes with uncontrolled breeding, some one made them do it.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post

This is a baseless generalization. I know numerous citizens who are currently caregivers for their elderly infirmed parents, or have been in the past. Sadly, many are forced to put them in nursing homes or assisted living facilities; but it certainly is not because they consider them a nuisance. I know a man who had to put his mother in a nursing home; and although he knew he had no choice, he cried almost daily because he wanted to care for her at home.

I can speak from personal experience, having cared for my dad until he recently passed away. Even when Hospice offered to bring him to one of their facilities for a few days to give me a rest, I refused. Before you comment on the “U.S.” maltreatment of the elderly, please base your statements on facts and not conjecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or