Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:41 PM

15 posts, read 85,568 times

Advertisements

I wonder what would happen if there was a large terrorist attack against America and it was proved that the terrorists were illegal aliens who came across the Mexican border. For once there was a huge public outcry to close the border and the Army was called and it became almost impossible to sneak across.

Would the American economy suffer?
How long could we keep the borders closed before there would be cracks due to pressure from immigrants rights groups, big business, farmers, and Wall Street.
Would any President ever have the will to close the border?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 04:14 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
The President already had his chance to do that after 911. He had a blank check for just about anything he wanted to do in regards to security and he blew it, big time.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:34 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,490 times
Synopsis,

I couldn't give you any rep points, but I sure wanted to.

Bush showed his true colors on 9/12/01 and there's no getting around it.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:02 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Synopsis,

You and Synopsis post consistently articulate and well-thought out posts. I wish I could give the both of you more rep....but I have to spread it around. That just sounds wrong.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:27 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Actually, Bush did halfway decent on 9/12/01...and maybe for a couple of weeks after that. Then, confronted with one of the great moments of geo-political opportunity, certainly of the decade -- maybe of the half-century, he determinedly and purposely bobbled the ball and botched the whole thing. History will be most unkind to him, most unkind...

Old 05-15-2007, 08:34 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conversationist View Post
Would any President ever have the will to close the border?
The larger question would be whether any President would ever be that stupid. Certainly this one has made a case, but he's fortunately a caged animal at this point. A lot of people don't seem to realize that by tolerating a situation in which 10-12 million people in this country are forced into trying to fly below the radar, we are creating the perfect cover for any actual terrorist to hide out in. Talk about a security lapse. If you ever wanted a serious and effective counter-terrorism measure, letting every illegal walk in and get papers that would simply let them keep on doing what they are doing right now would be it. But I guess people are just too blind and stupid to go for that...

Old 05-15-2007, 11:01 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,490 times
Saganista,

I didn't have a problem giving YOU rep points for that post!!!

My only disputation would be the number of illegals involved, as 12 million was first floated almost 6 years ago. The more logical number lies somewhere between 30-50 million, between illegal border crossings and visa overstays.

Props for your grasp of the situation!

Old 05-16-2007, 05:32 AM

121 posts, read 225,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Synopsis,

I remember that shortly after 9/11 someone asked Dubya if he was going to secure our borders and Bush just looked at him (angrily) and said something like "NO! We are not going to turn this country into a 'Fortress America'". Before the investigation of the attack was finished.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:28 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The larger question would be whether any President would ever be that stupid. Certainly this one has made a case, but he's fortunately a caged animal at this point. A lot of people don't seem to realize that by tolerating a situation in which 10-12 million people in this country are forced into trying to fly below the radar, we are creating the perfect cover for any actual terrorist to hide out in. Talk about a security lapse. If you ever wanted a serious and effective counter-terrorism measure, letting every illegal walk in and get papers that would simply let them keep on doing what they are doing right now would be it. But I guess people are just too blind and stupid to go for that...
How would 'letting every illegal walk in and get papers' be an effective counterterrorism measure?

Old 05-16-2007, 07:41 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
How would 'letting every illegal walk in and get papers' be an effective counterterrorism measure?
Hmmm....and here I thought I was the only idiot that didn't understand that concept. Maybe we're missing something here???

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration