U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2009, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,252,279 times
Reputation: 2520

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What a ridiculous argument! Look at how much we spend incarcerating citizen criminals but it is a necessary evil because we are a nation of laws and utter chaos would rule if we didn't get them off the streets. Should we stop incarcerating citizen lawbreakers then to save money? It doesn't necessarily discourage citizens from continuing to break our laws either but as I said it is a necessary evil.
Yes, we should stop incarcerating non-violent criminals and instead punish them with steep monetary fines, work programs, community service, military service, etc. Does it really make sense to throw a guy in jail for tax evasion? No, just punish the crap out of him financially or ship him off to Iraq, you know something that actually helps the country out instead of wasting money holding him in a cell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2009, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
9,321 posts, read 16,136,339 times
Reputation: 5685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Just look at the federal government budget and see how much we spend annually on border patrol, imprisoning illegal immigrants and in deportations...it's disgusting how much money we waste on that crap....and it does little to stop the flow of illegal immigrants.
What would you suggest we do? Shall we fire all the border guards and tear down the fence? Just let people wander on over breaking our laws? If we do not enforce our laws, then they are worthless. I read where 111,000 of the illegals captured were convicted, hardened criminals. Shall we just allow hardened criminals to come over and set fire to our grandmothers? Yes, that actually just happened to an 84 year old, very generous old woman. She hired these illegals to do her yard and that was the thanks she got. I am tired and I see too many unemployed Americans and legal entrants looking for work right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 11:13 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Yes, we should stop incarcerating non-violent criminals and instead punish them with steep monetary fines, work programs, community service, military service, etc. Does it really make sense to throw a guy in jail for tax evasion? No, just punish the crap out of him financially or ship him off to Iraq, you know something that actually helps the country out instead of wasting money holding him in a cell.
The difference is that these are illegal aliens we are talking about. I am all for a short incarceration and then deportation. That is what our laws demand in those cases. Sounds like you just want for us to release them back into our society rather than deporting them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,252,279 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The difference is that these are illegal aliens we are talking about. I am all for a short incarceration and then deportation. That is what our laws demand in those cases. Sounds like you just want for us to release them back into our society rather than deporting them.
No, I want us to use less expensive and more effective methods, such as E-verify to prevent them from being able to work. Deportation isn't cheap, the people who are caught are provided with meals and the labor, vehicles, etc. to bring them back over adds up. It is a pointless process in my opinion when they are just going to re-attempt to cross as soon as they get transported back to their country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
No, I want us to use less expensive and more effective methods, such as E-verify to prevent them from being able to work. Deportation isn't cheap, the people who are caught are provided with meals and the labor, vehicles, etc. to bring them back over adds up. It is a pointless process in my opinion when they are just going to re-attempt to cross as soon as they get transported back to their country.
And close/lock our southern border---------using lethal force if needed. If the rest of the world cries in indignation----------tell the do gooders to take it up with nations like N Korea, Cuba, etc. who make it a crime to leave without official permission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 12:32 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
No, I want us to use less expensive and more effective methods, such as E-verify to prevent them from being able to work. Deportation isn't cheap, the people who are caught are provided with meals and the labor, vehicles, etc. to bring them back over adds up. It is a pointless process in my opinion when they are just going to re-attempt to cross as soon as they get transported back to their country.
Well at least we are on the same page with e-verify. However until it is implemented across the board and they self-deport they must be involuntarily deported. It never is cheap to enforce any of our laws so what is your point? If they try to re-enter after being deported it becomes a felony. What you are advocating is not enforcing any laws because it won't put a stop to other people breaking them. What a ridiculous argument!

Even prosecuting minor crimes committed by citizens isn't cheap but as I said it is a necessary evil to remain a nation of laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,252,279 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And close/lock our southern border---------using lethal force if needed. If the rest of the world cries in indignation----------tell the do gooders to take it up with nations like N Korea, Cuba, etc. who make it a crime to leave without official permission.
You keep going with that lethal force non-sense and see where it takes you. You're living in a dreamworld that will never exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,252,279 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Well at least we are on the same page with e-verify. However until it is implemented across the board and they self-deport they must be involuntarily deported. It never is cheap to enforce any of our laws so what is your point? If they try to re-enter after being deported it becomes a felony. What you are advocating is not enforcing any laws because it won't put a stop to other people breaking them. What a ridiculous argument!

Even prosecuting minor crimes committed by citizens isn't cheap but as I said it is a necessary evil to remain a nation of laws.
Because If not having documents means you can't work at all in the U.S. (aka it is effectively enforced) illegal immigration would basically stop cold turkey because the vast majority wouldn't have a reason to come here and we wouldn't have to worry about wasting billions of dollars on building walls, border patrol, deporting the same guy 25 times, deporting the next guy 18 times, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 02:34 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Because If not having documents means you can't work at all in the U.S. (aka it is effectively enforced) illegal immigration would basically stop cold turkey because the vast majority wouldn't have a reason to come here and we wouldn't have to worry about wasting billions of dollars on building walls, border patrol, deporting the same guy 25 times, deporting the next guy 18 times, etc.
The problem is that many of the employers don't want e-verify because it would nip in the bud their ability to hire cheap illegal labor. Another problem is the Hispanic advocacy groups who want their illegal amigos to be able to enter our country at will and work illegally in our country. So far they have succeeded in stopping e-verify from being implemented across the board. Until our government grows some balls and does the right thing by insisting that both employer and employee follows the rules we will have to be content in detaining, incarcerating and finally deporting illegal aliens as they are discovered. There is no other solution for the time being. Some will try to return of course and some will not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,252,279 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The problem is that many of the employers don't want e-verify because it would nip in the bud their ability to hire cheap illegal labor. Another problem is the Hispanic advocacy groups who want their illegal amigos to be able to enter our country at will and work illegally in our country. So far they have succeeded in stopping e-verify from being implemented across the board. Until our government grows some balls and does the right thing by insisting that both employer and employee follows the rules we will have to be content in detaining, incarcerating and finally deporting illegal aliens as they are discovered. There is no other solution for the time being. Some will try to return of course and some will not.
What industries and what companies? I'm in the restaurant industry and we have the complete opposite approach. The risk of fines/penalties we could face are far more costly than the miniscule cost savings of purposely hiring people who aren't documented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top