Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:53 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I don't disagree with you, and yes, they could be labeled as criminals depending on the definition of the word "criminal" you are using. If you are using the definition of criminal to be mean "someone who has committed a crime," it is accurate. Another meaning of the word criminal is "someone who has been convicted and found guilty of a crime." Since these people we are speaking of have not been convicted and found guilty of a crime this definition of the word criminal is not appropriate in this situation.
criminal |ˈkrimənl|
noun
a person who has committed a crime : these men are dangerous criminals.

You DO NOT have to convicted of a crime to be a criminal...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 11:02 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Quit trying to treat my views as black and white, I completely recognize the issue with undocumented immigrants in this country and I think the issue needs to be more heavily studied and then acted upon with a solution that is the most beneficial to all parties involved. The problem I have with alot of what is posted on this message board is the stereotyping, the generalizations and the general feelings of angst and hatred towards a large group of people residing in our country, hence my posts that may come off to you that I'm in support of people coming into the country without permission, working without permission, etc. Listen, I'm probably the biggest proponent of E-verify here, I've seen it work, it's a great program.
Pro-illegals favor the term “undocumented immigrant.” Tell me, how does one become undocumented? And, what differentiates an undocumented immigrant from an illegal alien?

Old 11-25-2009, 11:06 AM

706 posts, read 939,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
criminal |ˈkrimənl|
noun

Seems pretty simple to me...if You commit a crime You are a criminal....

Old 11-25-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
criminal |ˈkrimənl|
noun

Thank you! If that were the case, all of the criminals would be behind bars, our streets would be safe, and life would be peachy.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:17 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Pro-illegals favor the term “undocumented immigrant.” Tell me, how does one become undocumented? And, what differentiates an undocumented immigrant from an illegal alien?
They are synonymous. Just a choice of words preference.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Thank you! If that were the case, all of the criminals would be behind bars, our streets would be safe, and life would be peachy.
That would at least double our taxes to pay to keep all these people behind bars...completely fiscally irresponsible.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
They are synonymous. Just a choice of words preference.
I realize “undocumented” is a euphemism; but isn’t it disingenuous? If I call a murderer a “life cessation technician” would it diminish the crime, or simply make the murderer and his/her supporters feel better?

Old 11-25-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
That would at least double our taxes to pay to keep all these people behind bars...completely fiscally irresponsible.
Should we release all criminals from prison to save money?

Old 11-25-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Should we release all criminals from prison to save money?
I wouldn't say that but I think the current system should be critically examined and drastically changed. Prisons should only be used to keep dangerous criminals off the street, it's too expensive to lock up everybody who breaks the law. There are more effective and fiscally responsible ways to punish non-physically dangerous criminals.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
criminal |ˈkrimənl|
noun

Illegal immigrants are dangerous criminals? How are they dangerous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration