U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2009, 03:47 PM
 
10,720 posts, read 15,811,783 times
Reputation: 9796

Advertisements

I would still like an explanation why Spanish speaking among LEGAL residents and citizens is rude if the people involved are speaking amongst themselves and not to people who don't understand Spanish? For example, if a couple is at a restaurant and they are speaking Spanish amongst themselves and you are at a separate table that is coincidentally next to theirs', why would you consider their conversation to be rude? Isn't it more rude to listen in on their conversation? Also, if you hear an Indian couple shopping in Wal-Mart and they are speaking Hindi amongst themselves, would you consider that rude? That seems awfully xenophobic. And xenophobia is defined as a fear or dislike of foreigners or foreign culture and if one finds even private conversation to be rude, how is this anything but xenophobic sentiment?

 
Old 11-25-2009, 04:24 PM
 
16,090 posts, read 34,393,350 times
Reputation: 6215
It's not rude unless they are making fun of you...however, it's so much fun to make a comeback to them in Spanish - another good reason to learn some.
 
Old 11-25-2009, 04:56 PM
 
2,930 posts, read 5,749,776 times
Reputation: 1365
how is this related to illegal immigration again?
 
Old 11-25-2009, 06:04 PM
 
Location: California
706 posts, read 756,222 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
how is this related to illegal immigration again?

Damn good question......

Simple answer...it isn't.

 
Old 11-25-2009, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,145 posts, read 35,058,022 times
Reputation: 3764
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
how is this related to illegal immigration again?
Hmmmm...........

I see no connection to illegal immigration per se either.
 
Old 11-25-2009, 08:57 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 4,838,387 times
Reputation: 819
Because many have expressed concern that Spanish speaking in public is rude. This is not a new type thread.
 
Old 11-25-2009, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 14,956,686 times
Reputation: 3019
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Because many have expressed concern that Spanish speaking in public is rude. This is not a new type thread.
Actually, we have discussed this ad nauseam. What can be said that hasnítí already been expressed? No need to beat a dead horse.
 
Old 11-25-2009, 10:08 PM
 
411 posts, read 380,584 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I would still like an explanation why Spanish speaking among LEGAL residents and citizens is rude if the people involved are speaking amongst themselves and not to people who don't understand Spanish? For example, if a couple is at a restaurant and they are speaking Spanish amongst themselves and you are at a separate table that is coincidentally next to theirs', why would you consider their conversation to be rude? Isn't it more rude to listen in on their conversation? Also, if you hear an Indian couple shopping in Wal-Mart and they are speaking Hindi amongst themselves, would you consider that rude? That seems awfully xenophobic. And xenophobia is defined as a fear or dislike of foreigners or foreign culture and if one finds even private conversation to be rude, how is this anything but xenophobic sentiment?

We live in the usa , the land of the freedom, anyone talks in the language of their choosing,.....
 
Old 11-25-2009, 10:12 PM
 
411 posts, read 380,584 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Actually, we have discussed this ad nauseam. What can be said that hasnítí already been expressed? No need to beat a dead horse.

What about beating on the same anti-undocumented theme with the same silly allegations over, over, not just ad nauseam, but ad emesum.....
 
Old 11-25-2009, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,554 posts, read 11,661,719 times
Reputation: 2239
I think we aleady established the fact that if you do have a problem with it it is nothing more than your own personal pet peeve. There is nothing else really to say on the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top