Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 01:20 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times

Advertisements

Let’s hope the fear spreads, and all employers are forced to fire their illegal workforce. There will be no need for ICE deportations if illegals self-deport. As long as they can relocate to another area and find work, they will remain.

Quote:
Seattle Building Maintenance, owned by KVI talk-radio host Peter Weissbach and his wife, provides janitorial services in buildings throughout the Puget Sound region, including such Seattle landmarks as the Seattle Art Institute, Pacific Place, Metropolitan Park and the Dexter Horton and Westin buildings.

The subject of an ongoing immigration audit by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, ICE, the company has been clearing its books by firing some of its janitorial staff — about 100 people so far — believed to be working illegally.

It’s a departure from the big splashy raids that used to play out on the evening news, with large numbers of immigrants being rounded up and carted off to detention, where many faced removal.

Now, workers are quietly let go by their employers, without the direct contact with immigration agents that might lead to deportation.
Employers quietly fire illegal workers | Local news, sports, weather, blogs, opinion, crime, obituaries, business, directory, marketplace, education, high school, family, shopping, arts, entertainment, movies, books, cooking, auto, real estate, jobs,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 01:36 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Yet another step in the right direction. One must wonder though. If illegals only do jobs legals won't, then who is filling those positions?

Old 11-23-2009, 02:27 PM

706 posts, read 939,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Yet another step in the right direction. One must wonder though. If illegals only do jobs legals won't, then who is filling those positions?
With no way to accurately verify a persons documents for legality, my guess would be to another group of illegals. And with the governments neverending push for amnesty about to fail again, I see this a self perpetuating problem

Old 11-23-2009, 02:38 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
With no way to accurately verify a persons documents for legality, my guess would be to another group of illegals. And with the governments neverending push for amnesty about to fail again, I see this a self perpetuating problem
I believe the E-Verify system is offered at no cost to employers. It is 99.9% accurate.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I believe the E-Verify system is offered at no cost to employers. It is 99.9% accurate.

Is it mandatory or voluntary and does it pertain to all employers or just those employers contracted to the government ?

Thanks.....

I'll do some checking

and....
For Employers

E-Verify is a voluntary program for employers, with limited exceptions. Companies can access E-Verify online and compare an employee's Form I-9 information with over 444 million records in the SSA database, and more than 60 million records in Department of Homeland Security immigration databases. E-Verify is an essential tool for employers committed to maintaining a legal workforce, and the number of registered employers is growing by over 1,200 per week.
For Federal Contract Employers

Federal contractors and subcontractors are required to use E-Verify as of September 8, 2009. Executive Order 12989 mandates the electronic verification of all employees working on any federal contract. The amended Executive Order reinforces the policy that the federal government supports a legal workforce.

http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/gc_1185221678150.shtm

Last edited by borderlord; 11-23-2009 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: add info and link

Old 11-23-2009, 02:51 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Apparently; similar tactics are being used here in Arizona as well.

Concerning Sheriff Joe and his raids against illegal aliens; it is as if they are a decoy to draw media attention away from the growing pressure against the above.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Is it mandatory or voluntary and does it pertain to all employers or just those employers contracted to the government ?

Thanks.....

I'll do some checking
It is only mandatory for government contractors. Otherwise, it is voluntary; and then, they are only required to verify “new hires.”

Old 11-23-2009, 02:58 PM

It is the "voluntary" part that worries me...
If an employer chooses not to use e-verify, and "unknowingly" hires an illegal, is he held accountable"
And if the government were really serious , wouldn't E-Verify be mandatory for all employers?

And just who audits the accuracy of the SSA's records , DHS ?

Old 11-23-2009, 03:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
nothing wrong with america that 21 million deportations would not fix. they are good laws, they are just laws but we dont enforce them.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
It is the "voluntary" part that worries me...
If an employer chooses not to use e-verify, and "unknowingly" hires an illegal, is he held accountable"
And if the government were really serious , wouldn't E-Verify be mandatory for all employers?

And just who audits the accuracy of the SSA's records , DHS ?
How many crooks do you believe will voluntarily obey the law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration