U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 06:08 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,087,903 times

Advertisements

[quote=borderlord;11864721]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
did you know that the california constitution was written in spanish and then translated to english?

Hmmmmmm

"At the evening session of the Constitutional Convention, on October 6, three of their number were appointed to serve on the engrossing committee, with instructions to have the Constitution written in English on parchment, together with a Spanish translation made by the official convention interpreter, also on parchment. The articles were adopted after the third reading on October 10th and 11th and the engrossed copy was signed at the afternoon session on the 13th of October

Early California: California's Constitutional Convention of 1849

obviously it hasnt always been english. and english isnt the officail language of the US.

But it is the official language of California, per the Constitution......

SEC. 6. (a) Purpose.
English is the common language of the people of the United States
of America and the State of California. This section is intended to
preserve, protect and strengthen the English language, and not to
supersede any of the rights guaranteed to the people by this
Constitution.
(b) English as the Official Language of California.
English is the official language of the State of California.
(c) Enforcement.
The Legislature shall enforce this section by appropriate
legislation. The Legislature and officials of the State of
California shall take all steps necessary to insure that the role of
English as the common language of the State of California is
preserved and enhanced. The Legislature shall make no law which
diminishes or ignores the role of English as the common language of
the State of California.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.const/.article_3

good job...and it begs the question, why WOULDNT california's constitution be originally written in Spanish? It was originally part of, wait for it -- the SPANISH Empire..

What is even more telling is that despite its Spanish heritage, at some point they decided to translate its constitution to English...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 06:09 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
even better!

it was in fact BILINGUAL from day one!!! it was written together. I guess CA has been a bilingual culture for a long time...

and the fact that CA now uses english as an official language reinforces this idea of seperate cultures based on regions!

thanks BL!!!

[quote=borderlord;11864721]
Quote:
did you know that the california constitution was written in spanish and then translated to english?

Hmmmmmm

"At the evening session of the Constitutional Convention, on October 6, three of their number were appointed to serve on the engrossing committee, with instructions to have the Constitution written in English on parchment, together with a Spanish translation made by the official convention interpreter, also on parchment. The articles were adopted after the third reading on October 10th and 11th and the engrossed copy was signed at the afternoon session on the 13th of October

Early California: California's Constitutional Convention of 1849

obviously it hasnt always been english. and english isnt the officail language of the US.

But it is the official language of California, per the Constitution......

SEC. 6. (a) Purpose.
English is the common language of the people of the United States
of America and the State of California. This section is intended to
preserve, protect and strengthen the English language, and not to
supersede any of the rights guaranteed to the people by this
Constitution.
(b) English as the Official Language of California.
English is the official language of the State of California.
(c) Enforcement.
The Legislature shall enforce this section by appropriate
legislation. The Legislature and officials of the State of
California shall take all steps necessary to insure that the role of
English as the common language of the State of California is
preserved and enhanced. The Legislature shall make no law which
diminishes or ignores the role of English as the common language of
the State of California.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.const/.article_3

Old 12-02-2009, 06:13 PM

ya, and now you can take the DMV test in myriad languages!!!

I LOVE [multilingual] CALIFORNIA!!!!

[quote=solytaire;11864897]
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post

good job...and it begs the question, why WOULDNT california's constitution be originally written in Spanish? It was originally part of, wait for it -- the SPANISH Empire..

What is even more telling is that despite its Spanish heritage, at some point they decided to translate its constitution to English...

Old 12-02-2009, 06:15 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
?
but im done with this subject.
So am I. The whole thing is silly....thinking a diverse collection of people from all over the world can just somehow "show up" here, legally or illegally, and somehow just "get along" with each other...just because it's 'the right thing to do'...is not only silly, it's an insult to common sense.

It was never my intention to stoop to such silly labels as 'anglo', anyway..and for that, I accept guilt. I've always hated such vague terms, and only used 'anglo' in this thread because it seemed to be what people understood. Our culture isn't 'anglo', but its foundations and its decency and its ideas of individual rights are based on ideas from Britain....not elsewhere. But 'anglo', as a serious term? I'm sorry I used it; I should know better. It's a term I've always hated, along with such other silliness as 'white culture', 'Hispanic', and my all-time favorite, 'People of Color'. These are 'high-school' terms, and I generally avoid them....or at least I try. But sometimes the arguments get so silly these are the only sort of terms that fit.

I never said I was anglo by ancestry...I'm not. My ancestors certainly weren't anglo, nor did they speak English; nor did they act, think, or look at life as Americans. My family LEARNED these things, over the generations..and they did so in order that they might participate in American society.

I don't look at things like my ancestors did...nor do I think like them....nor do I want to live my life like my ancestors did. My ancestors lived in societies that were poor, unfair, violent, intolerant, and awful. They often did things the 'hard way'. They clung to outdated, counterproductive ideas, and they didn't trust anyone who they saw as being 'different' from them...particularly in religion. Their lives were not happy, and they came here to learn a better way to live.

I'm a white guy. My spouse is an American Indian. BOTH of us had ancestors who might have hated....or even killed each other. We no longer feel that way, and that's because we've dropped the 'bad parts' of our cultures and assimilated as modern-day Americans. So did MOST people, up until recent years. It worked, mostly.

To now say that such change and assimilation is no longer important...that we can just show up here from all over the world, and live, act, think, and relate to each other "any way we FEEL like", because that's our culture(s), show either a hopeless naivete, or a deliberate attempt to obfuscate the entire issue...(or both). If diverse people can't get along in their home countries, what makes them think they'll get along here? I don't get it. Must be something in the water here, I guess....no need to assimilate, just have a glass of 'nice', and we'll all suddenly be on the 'same page'.

But I don't care....I'm weary of the whole circular argument, and tired of the dead-end nonsense....so I'll join you. I too, am done with this subject.

And I don't care what you eat for dinner, nor do I care what music you listen to, nor what you read, nor the language you speak in private. Those things are your business....

Last edited by macmeal; 12-02-2009 at 06:26 PM..

Old 12-02-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
ya, and now you can take the DMV test in myriad languages!!!

great..you can stay there...lol..its going to hell in a handbasket anyway lol

oh and since its constitutional official language is English, technically its only "multilingual" in principle not in practice. Even their dumba** gaahbinah can barely speak English..lol..but at least he tries eh?

Last edited by solytaire; 12-02-2009 at 06:54 PM..

Old 12-02-2009, 06:34 PM

i took exception to mr herrera thinking there was one monolithic culture in the US (ANGLO culture). i used that word because that is what he used.

i dont think anyone is arguing to have people retain their own seperate beliefs and ideas without some degree of assimilation.

again it seems that people are uninformed about what multiculturalism is.
I do beleive that people from guatemala and mexico and lebanon and cuba, and the phillipines and poland can get along here in the US.

that is not naive, thats actually what is happening in many parts of los angeles, in CA and the country. diverse peoples live side by side. its working out just fine. people DO get along. in oakland i met plenty of eritreans who embraced ethiopians and visa versa. that wasnt happening in africa.

thats the beauty of the US. that you can bring your culture and share it with others and adapt it to what is already here. because of that, salsa is the #1 condiment, pasta and spagetti are served at millions of dinner tables daily, "fusion" restaurants in SF and other places specialize in asian/italian, peruvian/chinese food. etc etc. i dont think foreigners diminsh US culture, i think they add to it.

i believe many things are possible here in the US. i think thats paramount in US culture. I can make it. you can make it. WE can make it.

EDIT: ok re reading my post it is a bit rosey. i forgot to mention that ethnic strife and religious rifts occur between groups. it happens. not everyone gets along. life here is not one big bowl of cherries. i concede that. but for the most part, people get along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
So am I. The whole thing is silly....thinking a diverse collection of people from all over the world can just somehow "show up" here, legally or illegally, and somehow just "get along" with each other...just because it's 'the right thing to do'...is not only silly, it's an insult to common sense.

It was never my intention to stoop to such silly labels as 'anglo', anyway..and for that, I accept guilt. I've always hated such vague terms, and only used 'anglo' in this thread because it seemed to be what people understood. Our culture isn't 'anglo', but its foundations and its decency and its ideas of individual rights are based on ideas from Britain....not elsewhere.

I never said I was anglo by ancestry...I'm not. My ancestors certainly weren't anglo, nor did they speak English; nor did they act, think, or look at life as Americans. My family LEARNED these things, over the generations..and they did so in order that they might participate in American society.

I don't live like my ancestors...nor do I think like them....nor do I want to live my life like my ancestors did. My ancestors lived in societies that were poor, unfair, and awful. They often did things the 'hard way'. They clung to outdated, counterproductive ideas, and they didn't trust anyone who they saw as being 'different' from them...particularly in religion. Their lives were not happy, and they came here to learn a better way to live.

To now say that such change and assimilation is no longer important...that we can just show up here from all over the world, and live, act, think, and relate to each other "any way we FEEL like", because that's our culture(s), show either a hopeless naivete, or a deliberate attempt to obfuscate the entire issue...(or both). If diverse people can't get along in their home countries, what makes them think they'll get along here? I don't get it. Must be something in the water here, I guess....no need to assimilate, just have a glass of 'nice', and we'll all suddenly be on the 'same page'.

But I don't care....I'm weary of the whole circular argument, and tired of the dead-end nonsense....so I'll join you. I too, am done with this subject.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:42 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

It was never my intention to stoop to such silly labels as 'anglo', anyway..and for that, I accept guilt. I've always hated such vague terms, and only used 'anglo' in this thread because it seemed to be what people understood. Our culture isn't 'anglo', but its foundations and its decency and its ideas of individual rights are based on ideas from Britain....not elsewhere. But 'anglo', as a serious term? I'm sorry I used it; I should know better. It's a term I've always hated, along with such other silliness as 'white culture', 'Hispanic', and my all-time favorite, 'People of Color'. These are 'high-school' terms, and I generally avoid them....or at least I try. But sometimes the arguments get so silly these are the only sort of terms that fit.

I don't look at things like my ancestors did...nor do I think like them....nor do I want to live my life like my ancestors did. My ancestors lived in societies that were poor, unfair, violent, intolerant, and awful. They often did things the 'hard way'. They clung to outdated, counterproductive ideas, and they didn't trust anyone who they saw as being 'different' from them...particularly in religion. Their lives were not happy, and they came here to learn a better way to live.

I'm a white guy. My spouse is an American Indian. BOTH of us had ancestors who might have hated....or even killed each other. We no longer feel that way, and that's because we've dropped the 'bad parts' of our cultures and assimilated as modern-day Americans. So did MOST people, up until recent years. It worked, mostly.

And I don't care what you eat for dinner, nor do I care what music you listen to, nor what you read, nor the language you speak in private. Those things are your business....
Excellent points! But some will still refuse to get it and remain in denial.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:47 PM

yes i love it
lol
its great
lol
and you just said alot about yourself in this post.
LOL

dismissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post

great..you can stay there...lol..its going to hell in a handbasket anyway lol

oh and since its constitutional official language is English, technically its only "multilingual" in principle not in practice. Even their dumba** gaahbenah can barely speak English..lol..but at least he tries eh?

Old 12-02-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
yes i love it
lol
its great
lol
and you just said alot about yourself in this post.
LOL

dismissed.

LOL

its so great that its begging for money and most Americans want to leave..lol

you just read too much into that post.

EXPELLED..

LMAO

Last edited by solytaire; 12-02-2009 at 07:33 PM..

Old 12-02-2009, 07:09 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
again it seems that people are uninformed about what multiculturalism is.
I do beleive that people from guatemala and mexico and lebanon and cuba, and the phillipines and poland can get along here in the US.

i believe many things are possible here in the US. i think thats paramount in US culture. I can make it. you can make it. WE can make it.

EDIT: ok re reading my post it is a bit rosey. i forgot to mention that ethnic strife and religious rifts occur between groups. it happens. not everyone gets along. life here is not one big bowl of cherries. i concede that. but for the most part, people get along.
OK..still friends. However, I have to ask...WHY is it, do you suppose, that these diverse people you mention (above), manage to 'get along' here in the US, when they might NOT have gotten along elsewhere? It's not the water; it's not the air; it's not the climate. Must be 'the system', it seems to me....and that system was not designed by YOUR ancestors, nor by mine...nor by Mr. Herrera's....and he and I both recognize that fact, and both Mr. Herrera, and I....(and I believe you, too, and all those diverse folks you mention) are now able to live peacefully and happily here, because of that 'system' that was invented and made into law....by a certain group of "you-know-who", whose language HAPPENED to be English. WHY this works, I don't know...but it does, and Mr. Herrera recognizes that, and so do I, and I believe, so do you. MY ancestors certainly never came up with a 'system' like this, but I'm glad someone did.

AS for the food, as I said, I don't care. I can eat any kind of food I want...and often do. So do you. But FOOD isn't what I'm referring to in speaking of basic culture. Our basic culture of 'openness' and inclusiveness is what makes it possible for you and I to be ourselves, and not worry about being killed or our homes being burned down because we're 'different'.

Thanks for your posts, friend...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or