U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:21 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,544,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
ya, and now you can take the DMV test in myriad languages!!!

I LOVE [multilingual] CALIFORNIA!!!!

That is very offensive to me as an American what you just described to me.

Does Mexico (to name one quick example) have DL tests in English? If not; that is another black mark against that dysfunctional/dying country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 07:30 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,076,522 times
what I dont understand is how we can logically separate the two. That is to say: how can we on the one hand say that the African influenced British culture isnt the basic culture of America, yet say that our culture cherishes multiculturalism, and freedom of cultural expression on the other hand?

Isnt the obvious contradiction that the whole premise for this nation arose from British settlers seeking refuge from the theocratic Monarchy/Oligarchy in England? This search culminated in the establishment of a country in which religion (the basis for culture) was not to be legislated nor dictated by govt., and the fuedalistic caste system of England would no longer be the basis for power.

I think that had it not been for the pressing need that the British had for a freer society and a more tolerant govt., ideology of freedom of expression of culture that we enjoy today wouldnt even be possible. Equal rights for American citizens wouldnt even be an issue, had it not been in the original conceptualization of this country at its establishment by the British. True enough, African Americans eventually forced the European American ruled govt. to actually enforce the creed. "we hold these truths to be self evident". But the civil rights movement was essentially about holding the establishment/constitution to its own word.

“all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness—That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men.”

so in essence, I still dont see how we can separate the British quest for greater freedom as part of the basic culture that established our nation, from tolerance and multiculturalism, when it was the British who established our nation.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:37 PM

8,974 posts, read 14,584,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
so in essence, I still dont see how we can separate the British quest for greater freedom as part of the basic culture that established our nation, from tolerance and multiculturalism, when it was the British who established our nation.
You're wrong. It was the Arabs, along with the Poles, the Greeks, and a few Afghans. The British just helped.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You're wrong. It was the Arabs, along with the Poles, the Greeks, and a few Afghans. The British just helped.
And the Irish as well?

Old 12-02-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Im not following...were the original colonists not mostly British? If all those other cultures did establish the country with only the British as an ancillary helper, it is suprising to me that they all settled on the English language to draft our constitution. They were certainly quite the diplomatic bunch.
macmeal has a very sarcastic sense of humor---------and, is very anti illegal immigration

Old 12-02-2009, 08:04 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,778,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You are not earning any respect by bashing posters that most here liked. She pushed it but for the most part it was just because she wasn't afraid to push it. There have also been a lot more pro-criminal posters getting banned than pro-law abiding posters. Besides, most of these people just come back on as someone else. It's as easy as an IP tunnel.
Wow, how do you know that every anti-immigrant poster is law abiding and those who support a CIR approach are not law abiding? Do you realize how silly and ridiculous you sound?

Old 12-02-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
macmeal has a very sarcastic sense of humor---------and, is very anti illegal immigration

Doh!..That flew right over my head (not surprising, eh?), and I knew that Macmeal usually makes terrific points and I always catch his sarcasm, and frequently find myself repping him. Which is why I was awaiting his enlightenment on the issue. I figured that if anyone could sate my thirst for enlightenment on settlement patterns it would be him...lol

You'll have to join everyone else here macmeal in excusing my ignorance

Old 12-02-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Wow, how do you know that every anti-immigrant poster is law abiding and those who support a CIR approach are not law abiding? Do you realize how silly and ridiculous you sound?
blacknight04: let me remind you that us anti's here are against illegal immigration...........limited legal immigration (including Mexicans) is quite acceptable

Old 12-02-2009, 08:25 PM

8,974 posts, read 14,584,505 times
Quote:
Doh!..That flew right over my head (not surprising, eh?), and I knew that Macmeal usually makes terrific points and I always catch his sarcasm, and frequently find myself repping him. Which is why I was awaiting his enlightenment on the issue. I figured that if anyone could sate my thirst for enlightenment on settlement patterns it would be him...lol

You'll have to join everyone else here macmeal in excusing my ignorance
You're excused. The point is, those 'British' (?) who started the ball rolling here..(mainly because they were sick of Britain), were an odd bunch. They specifically set out to include OTHERS, ("all men", etc), in their society, though this would mean they'd have to 'share'. They had some problem accepting 'others', and some problems with racial intolerance...at a time in history when MOST societies had no racial minorities at all, and when any sort of 'tolerance' was an alien concept. They preached 'self-rule', when 99% of the human race was ruled by brute force from above, with a small dose of 'sheer terror' thrown in for added effect.

They had slavery..then suffered an attack of conscience and abolished it. They invited people from all over the world, asking in return just an assimilation of a few common 'core values'. This was MOSTLY done on the 'honor system', rather than required by law. These 'early founders' simply assumed that those who came here would be grateful and happy, and would WANT to 'fit in' on their own. For many decades, it worked. We all became 'one', and we built the world's leading democracy.

Now it appears that that 'honor system' is being called into question. People want to come here and enjoy the 'perks', but want to live and act as if they were back home.

It would be well to remember that if we all 'acted' like back home...our society would BE LIKE 'back home'.....and I thought the reason we came here was to NOT end up like the folks 'back home'. Isn't the sorry condition of 'back home' one of the main reasons we left?

Guess I'm missing something here....

'

Old 12-02-2009, 08:26 PM

I think it is very telling of illegals and the proponents of illegal immigration that they continuously lie. They repeatedly accuse opponents of illegal immigration of being intolerant of immigration. That is a falsehood, and at this point they know it is a falsehood. Yet they consistently knowingly lie to support their cause. That is more telling of their character than anything that any opponent of illegal immigration could say to besmirch their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or