U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-30-2009, 05:09 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,074,023 times
Reputation: 2244

Advertisements

its not crap.
what in multiculturalism precludes us from gettin along as "americans"?

i think there is a lot of misinformation as to what multiculturalism is.
oh, and we would have to define US culture before we discuss what we like or dislike. as a hypothetical situation, i can argue that i dislike the way "americans" are materialistic. well maybe you dont think that american culture is defined by materialism.

so it really comes down to defining US culture... and honestly i dont think it includes a WASP aesthetic anymore. or is limited to ANGLO culture.


Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
That is one hell of a question...... Do you feel that there is, in fact, an " American Culture" ? Perhaps another question might be :
What is it about "American Cultutre that You dislike, and what would you change? And what would you offer in its place?

And, imho.....Multi-culturalism is crap.........If we cannot get along as "Americans" we will never get along with each other.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2009, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
its not a fact. its an ASSertion of yours. and i dont hate it.
but i do question what that means for black folk. or for other people who brought distinct cultures to the US.

furthermore, lets not forget the irrational fear of germanification that existed in the US for quite some time.
its very easy to adapt. millions and millions of hispanics have, like previous waves, adapted. but, unlike other ethnic/racial/cultural groups, the wave of latinos hasnt stopped, therefore people thin there is no assimilation occuring, when in fact there is.

but it is easier to point to those that dont fall in line, than to those who do.

bottom line. people of all stripes are assimiliating like they have in the past, and while doing so they are adding to the beauty of US multi-culture.
For the record: a cultural WASP need not have white skin------------just like a Hispanic need not be a Mestizo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 05:35 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,155,041 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
its not a fact. its an ASSertion of yours. and i dont hate it.
but i do question what that means for black folk. or for other people who brought distinct cultures to the US.

furthermore, lets not forget the irrational fear of germanification that existed in the US for quite some time.
its very easy to adapt. millions and millions of hispanics have, like previous waves, adapted. but, unlike other ethnic/racial/cultural groups, the wave of latinos hasnt stopped, therefore people thin there is no assimilation occuring, when in fact there is.

but it is easier to point to those that dont fall in line, than to those who do.

bottom line. people of all stripes are assimiliating like they have in the past, and while doing so they are adding to the beauty of US multi-culture.
You just blew your own argument. If there is no basic and identifying culture in this country then why would you say that immigrants are assimilating? There would be nothing to assimilate to then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 05:37 PM
 
Location: California
706 posts, read 796,547 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
its not crap.
what in multiculturalism precludes us from gettin along as "americans"?

i think there is a lot of misinformation as to what multiculturalism is.
oh, and we would have to define US culture before we discuss what we like or dislike. as a hypothetical situation, i can argue that i dislike the way "americans" are materialistic. well maybe you dont think that american culture is defined by materialism.

so it really comes down to defining US culture... and honestly i dont think it includes a WASP aesthetic anymore. or is limited to ANGLO culture.

So, let's define "American Culture"

Let's find a suitable section on the City-Data forums and begin the discusson....

Perhaps then the original questions posed can be answered,,,,,

"Do you feel that there is, in fact, an " American Culture" ? Perhaps another question might be :
What is it about "American Cultutre that You dislike, and what would you change? And what would you offer in its place?

BL

YAC/MODS......will You folks please advise a suitable forum to discuss "American Culture" ?

Thanks...

Last edited by borderlord; 11-30-2009 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: add question for Mods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 05:46 PM
 
Location: The Wine Country, CA
807 posts, read 1,117,269 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And I agree with Mr Herrera 100% The USA is a WASP country culturally speaking and I; despite being a putative 'minority' (1/4 Irish and 1/2 Hungarian heritage)----------self identify with the dominant culture.

One huge reason that the Japanese immigrants did so damn well despite having to deal with racism from White people 60+ years ago was that they adopted; hook, line and sinker, our Anglo culture. It also did not hurt that many aspects of Japanese (and Jewish, etc.) culture align with ours---------i.e. sobriety, frugality, belief in education and so on. Many of the above traits are not hallmarks of stereotypical Hispanic culture.
Absolutely agree..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 05:56 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,074,023 times
Reputation: 2244
assimilation is measured by certain characteristics. one of which is language acquisition, another being attained educational level, etc etc.

you are so simple sometimes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You just blew your own argument. If there is no basic and identifying culture in this country then why would you say that immigrants are assimilating? There would be nothing to assimilate to then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 06:06 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,155,041 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
assimilation is measured by certain characteristics. one of which is language acquisition, another being attained educational level, etc etc.

you are so simple sometimes...
Yes and English is our language so it is a part of our identifying culture of which you claim we have none. Yet you say part of assimilation is language acquistition. How does it feel chasing your tail all the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 06:12 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,074,023 times
Reputation: 2244
thats only part of it.

but i dont expect you to take such a close look at what culture in the US is.

and language in the US, altho predominantly english, has been peppered with foreign words that have come into common usage.

its not hard to understand.

catch up sister!

oh and my point is not that the US has no culture, but rather that US culture is more than just "anglo".
if only your reading comprehension skills were better

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yes and English is our language so it is a part of our identifying culture of which you claim we have none. Yet you say part of assimilation is language acquistition. How does it feel chasing your tail all the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 06:15 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,155,041 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
thats only part of it.

but i dont expect you to take such a close look at what culture in the US is.

and language in the US, altho predominantly english, has been peppered with foreign words that have come into common usage.

its not hard to understand.

catch up sister!
So what? You still don't seem to understand the meaning of the words "basic, identifying and dominant" in reference to our langauge and culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 06:18 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,074,023 times
Reputation: 2244
i added this lil gem to my post while you were quoting me:

oh and my point is not that the US has no culture, but rather that US culture is more than just "anglo".
if only your reading comprehension skills were better

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
So what? You still don't seem to understand the meaning of the words "basic, identifying and dominant" in reference to our langauge and culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top