U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2009, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
[/font]

I actually meant to say not American.
Correction: My culture is American, 100% born and raised. I just simply choose not to be a prick about other people's cultures. As far as I'm concerned people can perpetuate whatever culture they want as long as it is within the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2009, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Because he agrees with you, you give him a thumps up. If he had a different position from you, you would be calling him a racist because he supports his "raza".
Think about it. . . . why would I give him kudos if I disagreed with his stance? However, unlike most pro-illegals, I don’t use the race card against others simply because they have a different point of view. You and I generally disagree, but I don’t recall ever accusing you of being a racist simply on the basis of our opposing views. Sorry, but that is not how I define racism.

Clearly, this man will not compromise his principles to placate Hispanic pro-illegals who consider it an ethnic obligation to support illegal immigration; or, risk being labeled a "coconut." He will not capitulate, despite death threats. Yes, I admire him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
He sounds a bit nutty to me too:



I doubt many people on either side of the fence would describe American as this....
I don’t consider him “nutty.” The dominant U.S. culture is in fact Anglo. Contrary to popular belief, race and skin color are not determinants of culture. Try advancing professionally in this country without the ability to communicate in proper English, or conforming to the established cultural norms. Arrive for a professional job interview wearing baggy jeans. Then, tell the interviewer, “My most strongest points bees the fact that I doesn’t take long to learnt things.” See how far you get.

Furthermore, every organization, family, club, etc. have distinct cultures. Those unable, or unwilling to conform, will be ostracized; or, their employment or membership will be terminated. Moreover, the culture of the organization dictates everything from behavioral norms to acceptable attire. Thus, while at work, employees behave in accordance with the “culture” of the organization. The same concept applies to the dominant culture of this country. Certain behaviors, while acceptable in other countries, are contrary to our established norms, aka our American “culture.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I don’t consider him “nutty.” The dominant U.S. culture is in fact Anglo. Contrary to popular belief, race and skin color are not determinants of culture. Try advancing professionally in this country without the ability to communicate in proper English, or conforming to the established cultural norms. Arrive for a professional job interview wearing baggy jeans. Then, tell the interviewer, “My most strongest points bees the fact that I doesn’t take long to learnt things.” See how far you get.

Furthermore, every organization, family, club, etc. have distinct cultures. Those unable, or unwilling to conform, will be ostracized; or, their employment or membership will be terminated. Moreover, the culture of the organization dictates everything from behavioral norms to acceptable attire. Thus, while at work, employees behave in accordance with the “culture” of the organization. The same concept applies to the dominant culture of this country. Certain behaviors, while acceptable in other countries, are contrary to our established norms, aka our American “culture.”
Thank you, Benicar, for a very eloquent explanation

And the above coming from you; a Black person, buttressed my opinion that a WASP can be of any race/ethnicity these days. Read that it ain't just a 'White' thing anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Thank you, Benicar, for a very eloquent explanation

And the above coming from you; a Black person, buttressed my opinion that a WASP can be of any race/ethnicity these days. Read that it ain't just a 'White' thing anymore
Thank you. Yes, we do have an American culture, despite the denial of the multiculturalism apologists. They don’t want us to have a culture. Otherwise, their beloved illegals would be expected to assimilate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
That is not exactly what the Anglos did when they reached the Americas, did they?...

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with labeling yourself a WASP. However, I believe it to be an ethnicity, rather than a culture. An ethnicity that has influenced American culture. I actually find it insulting to African Americans and to Native Americans who also have their own distinct culture. Why would they be forced to give up their culture, identity and ethnicity? Why would they be forced to adopt to another ethinicity that certainly does not identify them? I certainly do not identify with WASP.

We will become one culture, one ethnicity but I believe that it will take time just like it took time for Caucasians to mix, when people of color where not allowed to mix.
I hate to break it to you, but as soon as the African slaves arrived in this country, they were stripped of their culture, including language and names. Thus, the “culture” of the descendants of slaves, is “Americanized.” Do you remember Kunta Kinte from the mini series “Roots?” If so, you will remember he was forced to relinquish his African name for the American name Toby. My maiden name is French. To my knowledge, I do not have French ancestors. Rather, it is my understanding a family of slave owners on my father’s side were French. Likewise, on my mother’s side some have an English surname, Bickerstaff.

Even the traditional “black” diet is the result of American influence. For example, we enjoy the same Thanksgiving meals as white America -- turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, etc. However, during slavery, blacks were given the scraps and the “undesirable” portions of animals -- pig intestines, feet, ribs, etc. They are now considered “soul” food. Thus, in addition to the traditional “Anglo” Thanksgiving menu, chitterlings aka chitlins (pig intestines) are also a “black” tradition. However, it is a tradition established in this country; not one brought here by African slaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 11:30 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Correction: My culture is American, 100% born and raised. I just simply choose not to be a prick about other people's cultures. As far as I'm concerned people can perpetuate whatever culture they want as long as it is within the law.
So it is being a prick ackowledging that we do have a basic and identifying culture and language while still acknowledging that there are minority cultures living among us and their right to practice them if they so choose within the laws of this country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
So it is being a prick ackowledging that we do have a basic and identifying culture and language while still acknowledging that there are minority cultures living among us and their right to practice them if they so choose within the laws of this country?
No, it's being a prick when you FAIL to acknowledge that there are minority cultures living among us and that they have a right to practice them if they so choose within the laws of this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 12:16 PM
 
11,287 posts, read 16,808,067 times
Reputation: 5517
Good friend of mine is originally from Ecuador. Came here legally and became a citizen. Were it up to him, he would deport all the illegals. Does not care from whence they came.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
No, it's being a prick when you FAIL to acknowledge that there are minority cultures living among us and that they have a right to practice them if they so choose within the laws of this country.
Illegal aliens still need to be deported since their collective 'culture' does conflict with ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top