U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 01:26 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,183,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
No, it's being a prick when you FAIL to acknowledge that there are minority cultures living among us and that they have a right to practice them if they so choose within the laws of this country.
You must have a reading comprehension problem then because I have always acknowledged the presence of minority cultures in our country. I did so in the post you responded to. Did you miss that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 02:43 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,091,370 times
And I agree with Mr Herrera 100% The USA is a WASP country culturally speaking and I; despite being a putative 'minority' (1/4 Irish and 1/2 Hungarian heritage)----------self identify with the dominant culture.

Asian Americans, African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Arab Americans, etc...suscribe to an "Anglo" lifestyle? On your profile, it states that you are Wiccan. This is in DIRECT opposition to CORE beliefs of said lifestyle.

One huge reason that the Japanese immigrants did so damn well despite having to deal with racism from White people 60+ years ago was that they adopted; hook, line and sinker, our Anglo culture. It also did not hurt that many aspects of Japanese (and Jewish, etc.) culture align with ours---------i.e. sobriety, frugality, belief in education and so on. Many of the above traits are not hallmarks of stereotypical Hispanic culture.

That's not at all true. The reason why Japanese immigrants have done well is because they were typically richer than many other immigrant groups. Japan is the world's second largest economy. Of course its immigrants will be more well off. Sobriety, frugality, and belief in education are universal traits, they are found in EVERY culture.

These things are not hallmarks of stereotypical Hispanic culture, because of negative stereotypes. We know stereotypes are mostly false.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:46 PM

5,896 posts, read 12,291,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You must have a reading comprehension problem then because I have always acknowledged the presence of minority cultures in our country. I did so in the post you responded to. Did you miss that?
Yeah but then you contradict yourself when you bring up the language garbage. Language is part of a person's culture too. Here are some of the comments you've made in other topics:

Quote:
It is about non-assimilation from Hispanic citizens and having to listen to it all day long from one particular ethnic group. It is a constant reminder of the number of illegal aliens that are here from south of our border. It is like pouring salt in an already festered wound. It is about living in the U.S. but feeling like you are living in Mexico instead. I can't make it any plainer than that.
Quote:
Funny, where I live in So. Calif. and all other cities close by I hardly ever hear Swedish, German, French, etc. unless I go to Disneyland or some other tourist trap. All I ever hear is Spanish as a foreign language being spoken in normal public places. I couldn't care less about Spanish being part of the southwest at one time. English is our national language. Deal!
Quote:
You are right it doesn't mean that don't know how to speak English but what bothers me is when they do know how and won't in public. That to me means non-assimilation.
Quote:
I was going to respond to that person but you did it so well there is no need for me to. As you know, I never said there was a law against speaking another language in this country but as you said it is just plain rude not to speak English if you know how to. I don't care what language someone chooses to speak at home. Where I live I am surrounded by Spanish speakers. I don't know their status in this country but when that is all one hears out in public in this English speaking nation it does become irritating. One feels like they are living in Mexico rather than the U.S. As you said, it is about common courtesy and respect for the language of our nation. It is a non-assimilation factor to me.
Quote:
Can't you read? I said it is all around me. One can't help but hearing it. That is why I said "it is in your face". Why would I eavesdrop when I don't even know what they are saying? You're entitled to your opinion but you can bet your bottom dollar that if millions of Chinese decided to migrate to Mexico speaking their languages constantly out in public the Mexicans would have the same complaint. It is about not feeling at home in your own country anymore. It has nothing to do with control. It is about non-assimilation. If you think I am the only American that feels that way then you have another think coming. I don't look at myself as being special. I just want to feel at home in my own damned country and that is literally impossible when you hear more Spanish being spoken than English.
Quote:
What's silly about it? We still have a basic culture and our language is still English. Why is it silly to expect immigrants or even citizens to speak the language of our country out in public? Restaurants has nothing to do with it. We haven't "evolved" away from our basic culture though I guess you would like that to happen from the gist of your post.
It seems to me that you're only open-minded and accepting to other cultures when it is convenient for you.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Thank you. Yes, we do have an American culture, despite the denial of the multiculturalism apologists. They donít want us to have a culture. Otherwise, their beloved illegals would be expected to assimilate.
What is American culture? What defines American culture. For example let's define "French. If you are Breton, from Brittany, you have a pillgrimage (Tro Breizh), mostly Roman Catholic, and speak Breton. There is a distinctive architecture than that of the rest of France. If you were from the south, say from Province, you would speak Catalan, also be Roman Catholic, and have more in common with the Spanish than Parisians. If you are from Lorraine, you might speak German, be Protestant, eat brats, and generally seem more German than French. America has several cultures, just like France and other countries in the world.

There may be an "American" culture, but it is one of many.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Yeah but then you contradict yourself when you bring up the language garbage. Language is part of a person's culture too. Here are some of the comments you've made in other topics:

It seems to me that you're only open-minded and accepting to other cultures when it is convenient for you.
Again, you have a reading comprehension problem. What I have said is that I think it rude when someone is an American citizen or legal resident from a foreign culture and KNOWS English but chooses not to speak it in public. I know they have the right to do that but this is about rudeness and non-assimilation, not rights. What I have also said is that I don't care what language they speak at home. No contradiction whatsover!

Old 12-01-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onitgoes View Post
"Anglo-Saxon" culture is just part of American culture. It's not the whole thing.
Anglo-Saxon is the majority, and there are many who like to...kiss up, and get in with the majority. But it's not American culture itself. American culture is dynamic, has gone through many changes, and is still changing.

You can't say it's always been the same and always will be the same, because in the just the last few decades, the country has become a lot more free for everybody, its a more integrated society, and living up more to the American legend than it ever has.

Some people had it REALLY good, and better than all others...they were special...now it's becoming more truly equal, and they're angry. They don't want equal...they don't want it to be different..they want to be special.
Sorry, but you are wrong. The BASIC identity of our culture has remained the same throughout the years.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
What is American culture? What defines American culture. For example let's define "French. If you are Breton, from Brittany, you have a pillgrimage (Tro Breizh), mostly Roman Catholic, and speak Breton. There is a distinctive architecture than that of the rest of France. If you were from the south, say from Province, you would speak Catalan, also be Roman Catholic, and have more in common with the Spanish than Parisians. If you are from Lorraine, you might speak German, be Protestant, eat brats, and generally seem more German than French. America has several cultures, just like France and other countries in the world.

There may be an "American" culture, but it is one of many.
The proper term would be "out of many, ONE" not the multi-cultural crap you are pushing. What you are saying is "out of many, MANY". That simply isn't true.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
The proper term would be "out of many, ONE" not the multi-cultural crap you are pushing. What you are saying is "out of many, MANY". That simply isn't true.
What is "American" culture? Still haven't answered it. The examples I gave were that there are MANY definitions of French culture. Same with America, IMO...what about you, what defines an American?

Old 12-01-2009, 05:18 PM

5,896 posts, read 12,291,350 times
Quote:
We've come full circle now. You claim you want to acknoledge the presence of minority cultures in our country but then you say that it is rude that they don't assimilate, which if you've checked your dictionary means the merging of cultural traits from previously distinct cultural groups, not involving biological amalgamation....meaning that their culture becomes your culture. So which is it? You're bringing up two contradictory ideas.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:33 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,647,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onitgoes View Post
"Anglo-Saxon" culture is just part of American culture. It's not the whole thing.
Anglo-Saxon is the majority, and there are many who like to...kiss up, and get in with the majority. But it's not American culture itself. American culture is dynamic, has gone through many changes, and is still changing.
I agree...that "anglo" stuff is just a small part of the American culture....the part that includes the Bill of Rights, the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, the 'Four Freedoms'.(Freedom from fear; Freedom of Speech; Freedom from want; Freedom of Worship)...Also the 'Right to remain silent' when arrested; the presumption of innocence until proven guilty; the right to a trial by a jury of one's peers...all that "stuffy" part of the culture. Those Anglos are pretty stuffy...(I know, since a couple of generations ago, it wouldn't have been MY culture, either...my family had to 'learn' it).

The IMPORTANT stuff, though? The 'exciting' parts of culture?...the art, the music, the cuisine? Rap music? Hip hop? Skateboarding? That's not 'anglo' at all....(everyone KNOWS anglos can't COOK, for heaven sake....and who ever heard of 'anglo music'?...'anglo dancing'? Forget it !!).

So I agree...our culture is PART anglo, and part other....and the anglo part isn't important, until things go wrong...and then I'll be thanking GOD for the basic laws those stuffy old dead "anglos" wrote, so the REST of us can 'be ourselves'. I'm sure glad MY ancestors weren't involved in writing the rules we now live by....(although we had a FEW good musicians).

If I want to live in a 'colorful' society, I can do that anywhere. When the time comes that I want a decent system, though, I'm afraid I'm going to go with what the "anglos" came up with. They can't dance, you say? Honestly, I don't care. I like their notions of liberty. Dancing I can find on my own.

Last edited by macmeal; 12-01-2009 at 05:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or