Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:18 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,552,022 times

Advertisements

Kudos to Mr. Herrera!

Quote:
Raymond Herrera isn't bothered that people are split on whether he's a patriotic activist or self-hating, racist nut.

The 60-year-old Victorville resident and Vietnam War G.I. has become a fixture at city council, school and county board meetings, where he and members of his fledgling group "We the People, California Crusaders," decry the ills of illegal immigration and voice support for tougher laws.

Most of all, Herrera offers no apologies for lending a Latino face to the fight against illegal immigration. His rallies and protests as a former Minuteman became so heated at times they teetered on the brink of violence.

"He's a racist He wants to pick on a group of people that have less rights, and they're trying to struggle in this country to have a better life," Latino activist and San Bernardino County School Board member Gil Navarro said. "As a veteran, I defended this country against people like him, who are anti-American as far as I'm concerned."
Activist gives Latino face to fight against illegal immigration - San Bernardino County Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 09:40 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,744,850 times

Because he agrees with you, you give him a thumps up. If he had a different position from you, you would be calling him a racist because he supports his "raza".

Old 11-30-2009, 09:41 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,488,491 times
He sounds a bit nutty to me too:

Quote:
His work, he insists, is not about self-hatred, but rather promoting an American culture and norms established by White Anglo Saxon Protestant settlers in the early 1600s.

"Our society, America, is an Anglo Protestant core-cultured society. Everything that you do is the end result of the Anglo Protestant way of life," Herrera said. "This is not to promote white skin.

I don't care if you're black, white, brown, green or yellow. If you're an American, you live the Anglo way of life."
I doubt many people on either side of the fence would describe American as this....

Old 11-30-2009, 09:59 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,112,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
He sounds a bit nutty to me too:

I doubt many people on either side of the fence would describe American as this....
And I agree with Mr Herrera 100% The USA is a WASP country culturally speaking and I; despite being a putative 'minority' (1/4 Irish and 1/2 Hungarian heritage)----------self identify with the dominant culture.

One huge reason that the Japanese immigrants did so damn well despite having to deal with racism from White people 60+ years ago was that they adopted; hook, line and sinker, our Anglo culture. It also did not hurt that many aspects of Japanese (and Jewish, etc.) culture align with ours---------i.e. sobriety, frugality, belief in education and so on. Many of the above traits are not hallmarks of stereotypical Hispanic culture.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:13 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,310,818 times
This is what gets me about these pro-illegal, ethnocentric racists. They think it racist for Americans to want to retain their identifying Anglo-culture in this country and yet they would be adamant about retaining the Hispanic culture in Mexico. Nothing but hypocrites! No country wants to lose it's identifying culture through illegal immigration and it certainly doesn't make them racists for holding that view.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:18 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,356,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
This is what gets me about these pro-illegal, ethnocentric racists. They think it racist for Americans to want to retain their identifying Anglo-culture in this country and yet they would be adamant about retaining the Hispanic culture in Mexico. Nothing but hypocrites! No country wants to lose it's identifying culture through illegal immigration and it certainly doesn't make them racists for holding that view.
Yeah but you being so adamant about retaining your Anglo-culture and then turning around and saying that all immigrants have to assimilate to your culture is pretty hypocritical too.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:34 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,112,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Yeah but you being so adamant about retaining your Anglo-culture and then turning around and saying that all immigrants have to assimilate to your culture is pretty hypocritical too.
Nothing hypocritical there at all-----when in Rome: do as the Romans do. Face it: multiculturalism is crap.

Besides: since the USA is still a rather desirable place to live---------we have the right to pick and choose whom we wish to let in. If Mexico takes offence---------tough!

Old 11-30-2009, 03:02 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,356,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Nothing hypocritical there at all-----when in Rome: do as the Romans do. Face it: multiculturalism is crap.

Besides: since the USA is still a rather desirable place to live---------we have the right to pick and choose whom we wish to let in. If Mexico takes offence---------tough!
That's fine if you think multiculturalism is crap, but really it's somebody else's business if they want to practice/retain their own culture, let them worry about their own culture and you can worry about yours.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:53 PM

706 posts, read 939,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
That's fine if you think multiculturalism is crap, but really it's somebody else's business if they want to practice/retain their own culture, let them worry about their own culture and you can worry about yours.
That's just what I'm doing....And thank you for allowing me to "worry" about my American culture.....and working to see that it is maintained....

Old 11-30-2009, 04:02 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,042,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
That's just what I'm doing....And thank you for allowing me to "worry" about my American culture.....and working to see that it is maintained....
The US is a multi cultural country. The fact that Sling is respecting the Anglo culture, does not mean that Sling's culture is anti-American. Big difference... OH, I forgot, we Hispanics are not American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration