Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:06 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
To answer my own original post, I would do whatever it took to feed my family. I would exhaust all other legitimate ways of making money before heading north. But as a last resort I would become an illegal alien to put food on the table.
So if you were on a sinking ship you would throw everyone else overboard just so YOUR family could survive? Do you know how selfish that sounds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 08:19 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
So if you were on a sinking ship you would throw everyone else overboard just so YOUR family could survive? Do you know how selfish that sounds?
I said to FEED my family. So I wouldn't throw anyone on a ship overboard. But I might roast them on a barbecue.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:43 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
If you were born in a different country with a corrupt gov’t and poor economy? If you couldn’t find a decent job to feed your family? If your neighbors up north across the border had jobs available and would hire you? Would you respect their immigration laws? Or would you sneak across the border to take a job and support your family? Why not?
Recognizing that I could be caught and deported? I might feel it's worth a shot.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:56 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Recognizing that I could be caught and deported? I might feel it's worth a shot.
Excellent point. And if you recognized that there was little likelihood of being caught, and you thought there was virtually ZERO chance of being deported if you WERE caught, then more than likely you'd think it was not only 'worth a shot'...it would be the almost a 'sure thing'. If you remembered that occasionally, we gave amnesty...then there'd be almost NO good reason not to do it....unless you were afraid a few Americans might be 'annoyed' at you....and most illegals don't find our annoyance a huge reason not to come here. They're used to people disliking and marginalizing them; it's one of the reasons they leave home.

Illegals come here to make money, and to enjoy benefits. Whether they're "liked" by everyone here is of only minor importance to them. They want to be 'paid', more than 'liked'.

Remember 'the Minutemen'? Those pesty old retired 'snoops' who sat day after day on the border, watching the illegals pass by with their binoculars, and annoying the HELL out of American liberals? Not ONE of them ever laid a hand on an illegal, as far as I know. The illegals were certainly well aware of them. How many illegals, on seeing the Minutemen, became ashamed, turned around, and went home? Not too many, I'd bet. Illegals are not concerned with whether the Minutemen.(or anyone else) "likes" them....they're concerned with crossing the border. They will continue to do so as long as they're able...and as long as the rewards of doing so exceed the risk. They will continue to do so as long as more Americans are mad at The Minutemen than are mad at the illegals.

It's a game. Illegals are 'poker players', and are good at 'bluffing'. Whether this continues, I couldn't guess.

Last edited by macmeal; 12-09-2009 at 09:06 AM..

Old 12-09-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I said to FEED my family. So I wouldn't throw anyone on a ship overboard. But I might roast them on a barbecue.
It was an analogy which apparently went right over your head. The" food" you are talking about belongs to Americans. The jobs, the land, the social infrastructres, etc. belongs to Americans. The illegals are taking those things from Americans for their own selfish needs. They don't give a damn about the American family who these things are being stolen from.

So yes, you are advocating throwing their families overboard just so you can "feed" your family.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:06 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I've been there and it is screwed up but I'm still trying to understand why anyone would think that the mess there is Joe Middle Class United States Tax Payer's problem to solve?
These two Govts have pitted the working class here against the peasant class there. I know what side I'm rooting for and it doesn't speak Spanish.
As a Joe Middle Class United States Tax Payer myself I don't really see it that way, I myself haven't felt any negative affects of illegal immigration thus far in my life, and don't anticipate any drastic changes in the near future either.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:11 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I believe you would be speaking for all of us if things at home became that bad.

My father when he fled Hungary ca. 1948 was technically 'illegal' in Austria, etc. till he secured refugee status in Germany shortly thereafter. That stated: he knew and accepted the risks of doing what he did.

And the main reason he left home was for political reasons----------his life was likely in danger.
That is understandable and why I think it is important to have special laws for legitimate asylum seekers. When I was abroad in Britain the office I worked for had several clients who came to Britain on not the clearest ground from Somalia. Of course when the British government found out that they were women's rights activists who would be killed by the Sharia de-facto government if they returned they were granted asylum.

However, I think there is a difference between people fleeing for their lives because of political reasons and people just looking for work.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
As a Joe Middle Class United States Tax Payer myself I don't really see it that way, I myself haven't felt any negative affects of illegal immigration thus far in my life, and don't anticipate any drastic changes in the near future either.
Yes, you have. A lot of the taxes you are paying are going to support illegal aliens. It would be that much more money your family would have for things they need if not for that scenario. Besides are you saying that although many Americans have been affected by the crimes, waits in the ER's, crowded classrooms and job loses, etc. since it hasn't directly affected you that you don't care how it has impacted your fellow Americans?

Old 12-09-2009, 09:50 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yes, you have. A lot of the taxes you are paying are going to support illegal aliens. It would be that much more money your family would have for things they need if not for that scenario. Besides are you saying that although many Americans have been affected by the crimes, waits in the ER's, crowded classrooms and job loses, etc. since it hasn't directly affected you that you don't care how it has impacted your fellow Americans?
That may be, but if it was the case it is chunk change. If my taxes when up $0.47 last year due to additional costs caused by illegal aliens, then so be it. I'll consider that my availability of good authentic Mexican food restaurants, bakerys and super mercados in the neighborhood tax.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
That may be, but if it was the case it is chunk change. If my taxes when up $0.47 last year due to additional costs caused by illegal aliens, then so be it. I'll consider that my availability of good authentic Mexican food restaurants, bakerys and super mercados in the neighborhood tax.
I don't believe your BS. How did you arrive at that figure? All the stats on the state and federal level claim otherwise. Besides, do you know how much money that increase would add up to be for every taxpaying American in this country and could go to help our own needy? We can have Mexican food restaurants, etc. without having illegal aliens or do you think that only illegal aliens own them and run them?

Your flippant attitude towards your fellow Americans makes me sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration