Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:46 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,867,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Well there goes possibly 47,000 vehicles that will now be unable to buy insurance and will continue to drive anyways. Did they even give this much thought to what the fallout will be?
Quote:
No disdain, just common sense. If you can't enforce it all, then it is not enforced at all.

My point is this will not stop any of those illegals from driving, cops are not going to pull 47k people over and jail them. This won't change a thing.
What other laws should we repeal because criminals refuse to obey them? If an American citizen drives without a license he is subject to all sorts of penalties. Should we create one set of laws in country for American citizens and other special and less harsh set of laws for illegal migrants? What other laws should illegal migrants be allowed to break?

If we make life as difficult as possible for illegal migrants maybe they'll finally do what we want them to do: go home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 09:01 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,584,027 times
Randonstudent, I just got a new North Carolina Drivers License and no one asked me anything about insurance. Maybe they already had a record somewhere, but that makes no sense at all. A driver's license is a license giving you a right to drive a vehicle, but I have lived in North Carolina most of my life and have never been asked if I have a car or insurance in order to get the license. The vehicle I took the drivers test in had to be insured. It would be a little dumb for a driver's test official to end up in an accident in a car with a new driver and have no one responsible for paying for damages.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:08 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,826,847 times
Perhaps if there was a TAD more enforcement, and illegals knew if they were caught driving without a a license or insurance it was mandatory deportation, there would be less illegals driving.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:19 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,299,542 times
Judge Sides With Ohio Over Immigrant Drivers

There's the link if anyone wants to read it because the old link is dead.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,600,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Randonstudent, I just got a new North Carolina Drivers License and no one asked me anything about insurance. Maybe they already had a record somewhere, but that makes no sense at all. A driver's license is a license giving you a right to drive a vehicle, but I have lived in North Carolina most of my life and have never been asked if I have a car or insurance in order to get the license. The vehicle I took the drivers test in had to be insured. It would be a little dumb for a driver's test official to end up in an accident in a car with a new driver and have no one responsible for paying for damages.
Where I live, they require Texas drivers to have insurance when you renew your plates but you only have to make one small first payment and then let the insurance lapse, and you can easily obtain New Mexico plates or Mexican plates or just use fake paper dealer plates and then don't have to worry about insurance at all.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:46 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,193,475 times
Quote:
Not until the companies stop hiring.
Well isn't this a part of making life more difficult? Drop the hammer on the employers and I do mean any and all who are caught. Yes that would include Joe cheap skate who prowls the home deopt paring lots looking for cheap labor.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:11 PM

39,813 posts, read 26,431,701 times
Provide a monitary incentive, allow the cops to keep cars siezed from criminal aliens, like they do with the DARE cars. They could be sold or scrapped, with half the proceeds going to local law enforcement, half to border patrol.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:41 AM

3,011 posts, read 6,297,306 times
My take is this..If they break our laws and cross the border illegally, why should they care about driving an uninsured and unsafe vehiicle within our borders unlawfully??

Yes, the ruling is good in it's intentions, but sadly, will it really make a noticeable difference?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:40 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,193,475 times
Quote:
Well there goes possibly 47,000 vehicles that will now be unable to buy insurance and will continue to drive anyways. Did they even give this much thought to what the fallout will be?
47,000?
So we should re-write laws based on how many refuse to obey?
Should we make it legal to rape, murder, and to steal? Our prisons are filled with such scum that would commit these crimes.
No we should not grant driving rights to those who do not meet the legal criteria. A legal immigrant caught driving without insurance or a license will face deportation. But then they would also face deportation if caught using fraudulent documentation. AS THEY SHOULD BE.
What mystifies me are those who feel that illegals should be cut a break for the very same crimes.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:43 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,826,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
47,000?
So we should re-write laws based on how many refuse to obey?
Should we make it legal to rape, murder, and to steal? Our prisons are filled with such scum that would commit these crimes.
No we should not grant driving rights to those who do not meet the legal criteria. A legal immigrant caught driving without insurance or a license will face deportation. But then they would also face deportation if caught using fraudulent documentation. AS THEY SHOULD BE.
What mystifies me are those who feel that illegals should be cut a break for the very same crimes.
Yep, apparently any behaviour that can't be controlled should be allowed and not be against the laws. Of course that should be for ALL, not just the select group here illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration