Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 12:03 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
They claim they don’t realize they are using a stolen ID. At least that’s their excuse when they get caught. So, if they actually don’t believe they are using a stolen ID, why would they not file a tax return? After all, they aren’t criminals.
Good point! Afterall, in most cases filing an income tax return would result in them getting a refund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 12:04 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Nah, shes killing you with logic and truth.
Oh, sorta like when you posted that illegals don't pay into federal and state taxes yet they reap the benefits of them?

Old 12-10-2009, 12:14 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
My company is also 30,000+ and we do actually outsource payroll to a seperate company. However, outside of HR I don't believe anyone here has access to that information as we are extremely adamant about maintaining confidentiality with employee personal information.

Out of the 332 how many of them had 6 or more dependants...be honest.
Can't quote that one as I am only privy to our site. Our HR has nothing to do with payroll. They may access it but it's not part of their function.

I may be able to query that data though. Now I'm interested.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Can't quote that one as I am only privy to our site. Our HR has nothing to do with payroll. They may access it but it's not part of their function.

I may be able to query that data though. Now I'm interested.
If you don't feel comfortable posting that type of data on the message board please send me a PM about it because I'm also interested.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:18 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Ok, I just corrected my post to correctly address you. What is this "truth" that is killing me? Of course people are going to make excuses when they get caught with a fake ID, just like many people do when they are caught doing something illegal. I never supported nor defended ID theft or any other kind of illegal activity in any of my posts, I understand it's bad...so you don't need to point this out to me.
Did you, or did you not, tell me that I am killing you with my “garbage rhetoric?” How can it be garbage if it is in fact what illlegals say?

Old 12-10-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Did you, or did you not, tell me that I am killing you with my “garbage rhetoric?” How can it be garbage if it is in fact what illlegals say?
Because it's a silly question, we both know that when somebody gets caught doing something illegal they will deny it, fish around for excuses, what have you. These people are not accidentally crossing the border, tripping over and finding somebody elses ID and getting a job with it. Let's not pretend any of this is an accident.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Because it's a silly question, we both know that when somebody gets caught doing something illegal they will deny it, fish around for excuses, what have you. These people are not accidentally crossing the border, tripping over and finding somebody elses ID and getting a job with it. Let's not pretend any of this is an accident.
I won’t engage in a nonsensical tit for tat. I certainly realize their illegal presence is not an accident. I’m sorry, but you are not making sense.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:22 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Oh, sorta like when you posted that illegals don't pay into federal and state taxes yet they reap the benefits of them?
Yep - because they do. Some also buy stolen ssn numbers. Either way, crappy behavior and criminal too!

Old 12-10-2009, 01:26 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I think this is an honest and reasonable position. If we were 'them' and they wrere 'us', who knows but that WE'D do what the illegals are doing ? Good point.

But we're NOT them....and they're NOT us. And besides, if we "went after" the employers who hire them (which we certainly SHOULD do), wouldn't these illegals still lose their jobs? So who would you hurt if you prosecuted the employers? You could give them amnesty, too...but remember that their employers can't "afford" to employ legal help..so receiving amnesty would probably result in their losing their jobs, too...not to mention causing massive anger in the American populace, while encouraging even MORE illegals to show up here to get THEIR amnesty at some future date.

Closing down the border.....deporting people....or shutting down employers...in any case, one way or another, you're STILL taking a stand against illegals. Maybe we should go after the ORIGINAL 'oppressors' of illegals....the unfair societies they come from, and the sometimes unwise cultural practices that result in the poverty that drives them to leave home.
Going after the employers who ignore the law levels the playing field. An employer who hires an undocumented worker is likely also ignoring tax laws and minimum wage laws as well as other requirements that are a cost of doing business, and that allows for unfair competition to the employers who comply with the laws.

Frankly, I have no problem with people who come here and want to work and be productive members of our society, as long as everyone plays by the same rules.

Your remarks may be sarcasm - I don't know - but I agree with you wholeheartedly that we should focus on eliminating the unfair societies and cultural practices that cause the problem in the first place. Meanwhile, I believe the way to address the problem is to focus on the employer who hires the illegal workers.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Going after the employers who ignore the law levels the playing field. An employer who hires an undocumented worker is likely also ignoring tax laws and minimum wage laws as well as other requirements that are a cost of doing business, and that allows for unfair competition to the employers who comply with the laws.

Frankly, I have no problem with people who come here and want to work and be productive members of our society, as long as everyone plays by the same rules.

Your remarks may be sarcasm - I don't know - but I agree with you wholeheartedly that we should focus on eliminating the unfair societies and cultural practices that cause the problem in the first place. Meanwhile, I believe the way to address the problem is to focus on the employer who hires the illegal workers.
It was indeed sarcasm.

I’m assuming by “unfair societies” and “cultural practices” you are referring to their countries of origin. After all, if not for the deplorable treatment they receive at home, and the failure of their governments to provide for their citizens, they would not feel compelled to seek a better life in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration