Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:15 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Even the great anti-immigrant groups CIS and NumbersUsa etc put the number at 11 million. So where are you getting your 20-30 million number from?
From Border Patrol stats just for starters. Neither of those two groups you mentioned are anti-immigrant they are anti-illegal alien. When are you "types" going to stop distorting the truth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 06:18 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
There are around 13 million illegals, right? And around 29 million uninsured motorists in total. So even if all 13 million illegals--every man, woman, child and infant--drove a car then the percent could be no higher than 13/29 = 45%. But only a fraction of illegals are motorists. So the percent of uninsured motorists who are illegals is lower, say, 20 to 25% or so. (Sorry, don't have exact stats for that.)

Here is a link for the number of uninsured motorists in the U.S. This Link says 14% (old data). The link I looked at earlier said 15% uninsured motorists (29 mil) in the U.S. But I couldn't find that exact same data.

The problem with most of you Archie Bunker types who post in this forum is that you attribute all of America's woes to illegals. You guys/gals need to use your noggins a bit more and realize that not all of the stats on the redneck sites you visit are accurate. Try doing some fact checking for yourself sometime instead of asking others to do your homework for you. And it wouldn't hurt to be more open minded.
I am quite open minded towards mass deportations of illegal aliens along with forfeiture of all of their assets by law enforcement.

As for the 20-30 million illegal aliens: I have to agree that those figures are bogus-----I am thinking more 7-10 million here tops. Although counting the US born children of same (Anchors or one parent being illegal)..........that may add up to about 20-30 million people total with questionable legality.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:39 PM

Here chomp on this for awhile. I can come up with much more.

2005, Bear Stearns analysts determined that the surveys conducted by the Census Bureau undercounted the number of illegal immigrants by far more than 10%. Through discussions with illegal immigrants, Bear Stearns found that immigrants avoid responding to Census questionnaires and work very hard to conceal their identities.

As an alternative to the residual method which estimates that there are around 12 million illegal immigrants in the U.S., Bear Stearns used micro-economic indicators to project an alternative estimate. They examined trends in school enrollment, foreign remittances and housing permits in states with high populations of undocumented immigrants like Texas, California, and New York.

Underpinning Bear Stearns' estimate of 20 million illegal immigrants is the identification of two patterns: 1) a trend of sharply increased demand for public services in communities that have become gateways for immigration, and 2) increases in foreign remittances (money sent back to an immigrant's native country), housing permits and border-crossings.

Given the unrecorded nature of the illegal immigration phenomenon, it's unlikely that a well-founded or rigorous method of measurement will be developed. The reality is, the math is fuzzy and the most definitive conclusion one can make is that the measurements of illegal immigrants in the U.S. are subject to extreme inaccuracies.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:19 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
im not making such claims. do you really under stand "burden of proof" or "evidence" or "reliable"?

since you cant really debate, there is not use in continuing with you.

dismissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Present your evidence to the contrary.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:35 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
From Border Patrol stats just for starters. Neither of those two groups you mentioned are anti-immigrant they are anti-illegal alien. When are you "types" going to stop distorting the truth?
They are indeed anti-immigrant groups, they admit it clearly on their websites!! I don't dictate to you what to post on here, so don't try to tell me what to post and what not to post.

Btw, what border patrol site did you get your stats from? Also, try to put a link to articles that you post for verification purposes. Thanks

Old 12-10-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
They are indeed anti-immigrant groups, they admit it clearly on their websites!! I don't dictate to you what to post on here, so don't try to tell me what to post and what not to post.

Btw, what border patrol site did you get your stats from? Also, try to put a link to articles that you post for verification purposes. Thanks
That is a lie! They are not anti-immigrant. They may advocate for controlled immigration in reasonable numbers but that does not equate to being anti-immigrant. If you are going to ask me to post links then why don't you post a link that states that either of those organizations said they are anti-immigrant or even implied it!

My source was easy to look up as the name of the research company was given in my post. The Border Patrol one I had read some time ago and may no longer be available since the government doesn't want us to really know just how many illegal aliens there are in this country. But there are still plenty of sites with research validating my claim.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:30 PM

From the CIS website - Our Mission -

It is the Center's mission to expand the base of public knowledge and understanding of the need for an immigration policy that gives first concern to the broad national interest. The Center is animated by a pro-immigrant, low-immigration vision which seeks fewer immigrants but a warmer welcome for those admitted.

From the FAIR Website - About Us -

The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) is a national, nonprofit, public-interest, membership organization of concerned citizens who share a common belief that our nation's immigration policies must be reformed to serve the national interest.
FAIR seeks to improve border security, to stop illegal immigration, and to promote immigration levels consistent with the national interest—more traditional rates of about 300,000 a year.

I see no anti-immigrant agenda here!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:09 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
That is a lie! They are not anti-immigrant. They may advocate for controlled immigration in reasonable numbers but that does not equate to being anti-immigrant. If you are going to ask me to post links then why don't you post a link that states that either of those organizations said they are anti-immigrant or even implied it!

My source was easy to look up as the name of the research company was given in my post. The Border Patrol one I had read some time ago and may no longer be available since the government doesn't want us to really know just how many illegal aliens there are in this country. But there are still plenty of sites with research validating my claim.
Reading between the lines: the DREAMies (I am sure there are a few on this Forum) along other illegals and/or friends/families of same are running scared with the growing hostility against 'em.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:37 AM

472 posts, read 740,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
There are around 13 million illegals, right? And around 29 million uninsured motorists in total. So even if all 13 million illegals--every man, woman, child and infant--drove a car then the percent could be no higher than 13/29 = 45%. But only a fraction of illegals are motorists. So the percent of uninsured motorists who are illegals is lower, say, 20 to 25% or so. (Sorry, don't have exact stats for that.)

Here is a link for the number of uninsured motorists in the U.S. This Link says 14% (old data). The link I looked at earlier said 15% uninsured motorists (29 mil) in the U.S. But I couldn't find that exact same data.

The problem with most of you Archie Bunker types who post in this forum is that you attribute all of America's woes to illegals. You guys/gals need to use your noggins a bit more and realize that not all of the stats on the redneck sites you visit are accurate. Try doing some fact checking for yourself sometime instead of asking others to do your homework for you. And it wouldn't hurt to be more open minded.
Let's look at this using your numbers.
If 20% of the 29 million uninsured motorists are illegals, that means there are 5.8 million uninsured illegals. Thirteen million illegals represent 4.3% of the population of the U.S.
This looks to me that 4.3% of the population make up 20% of the uninsured. Isn't that a bit disproportionate?

Old 12-11-2009, 10:20 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Also 700,000 vehicles in Dallas/Fort Worth have fraudulent inspection/emissions stickers according to a report last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration