Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the immigration deal?
I'm all for it, see explanation below 4 10.53%
I see problems down the road, see explanation below 3 7.89%
It's better than illegal status, see explanation below 2 5.26%
It sucks, see explanation below 29 76.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 02:08 PM

126 posts, read 549,395 times

Advertisements

I votes "it sucks"....no more explanation needed than what has already been said here. Very good thread, w/lots of good points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 03:46 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWork View Post
Aiangel_writer...I agree on some of your comments. Everyone should learn the language, but should not be forced to speak one language. My mother and my wife (Legal immigrants) and I for example would speak Spanish to each other while shopping or whatever, but if they have to ask an employee where the soap is...they will speak to them in their own slightly broken English (getting better).

Well look at this way, I see is that most Americans (Anglo-Americans) look at me as if I was Mexican. Naturally I do look Mexican and I am from Mexican descent, but I was born here. For example if you come up to me, would you consider me an American just by looking at me...without speaking to me? NO right? With all due respect, would that make you think differently now?

I am in the Landscape/Maintenance Industry and all my customers tell me "You speak very good English" I feel insulted, but don't show it. I nicely tell them I was born here and am from Mexican descent. They get very surprised, which they probably due because most of us Landscapers are usually Mexican or from other Latin countries.

Now tell me am i safe to say i'm an American or Mexican-American? Us Mexican descents are considered Mexican-American to society, and Mexican's are considered just Mexicans.

Check this out most of us "Mexican-Americans"/"Americans", whatever you consider us. When we travel to Mexico, they don't consider us Mexicans??? they call us "Pochos" It's sad enough Mexicans don't like us there or here and US society thinks we are all Mexicans and not Americans or Mexican-Americans. (Click on the link, for the meaning)

All your opinions/comments are welcome, I hope you understand our situation. From all those Mexicans in the U.S. there is us "Mexican-Americans", "Pochos", or straight up "Americans''

Well I'm not putting no one down just want to share my experiences with you.

Sorry, I felt the need to vent a bit I think at times it's necessary to consider ourselves "Mexican-Americans" Don't you agree? We don't look white.

Sounds like you are getting caught up in the illegal issue because you look Mexican (your words not mine) and I will be honest that if you wanted to do my land scaping that I would not hire you if you if you looked Mexican because I would think that you either used illegal workers or supported them as many Mexican Americans do...And I will not knowingly support an illegal or any company that they work for in any way...

Old 05-19-2007, 06:26 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
For God's sake don't let the US end up like the UK.
Over here we opened out gates to most of Estern Europe and some of the other most undisirable contries around the world and we are now paying the price.
Masses of people who are uneducated, illiterate can't speak the language and totally unemployable ready for a comfortable life of free health care, housing and social security benefits, why else would they bypass the rest of Europe to get here, it's because our government is too pc to do anyting about it.
We've got masses of European gangsters in our major cities and muslim extreemists recruting home grown terrorists on your doorstep.
I've got 2 years to wait for my Green card and then I will be joining you guy's
but don't worry I'm hard working and have enough cash to pay my own way so you don't need to worry about this "limey"!!!!!
PS. It's taken me 12 years to get my green card even though I've got an American brother.
Wow, it didn't take me THAT long, and just had to wait 11 months. But, I was already married to a US citizen, living here in the US, had to travel back to germany, and take of business there. So, my son, 2 years old at the time was with me, and we were seperated from my husband because of this. Which isn't bad, coming to think of the fact, that soldiers wifes are alone so much longer........
I am just saying, that in my case there was a huge mix-up, and it was actually hell going through all of it!
A lot of money, a lot of time, a lot of frustration, a lot of paperwork, a lot of tears!!!!
So, hopefully people will understand why I AM so frustrated over this whole Immigration crap, and making it so easy for those parasites!!!

Old 05-20-2007, 10:06 PM

233 posts, read 439,830 times
Default It Sucks!!

I voted it sucks because it does. My family came from Austria, Germany and Ireland. I was born in NYC in the fifties and can clearly remember getting a smack in the face when I told someone I was a German-American..........it was too big a source of pride to both sides of my family to have "become" Americans to let me say I was anything else. While some of the older relatives still conversed in the native tongue at home it was never done in public, there was too much pride in their accomplishment of becoming citizens and tho my sister and I were taught a few words of the native tongue and knew all the old customs we were taught pride of being an American and allegiance to America. Our family came here for a better life and even tho none of them ever made it into the upper classes they were forever grateful for having been given the chance to take care of their families by their hard work, most were considered to be lower class economically and my sister and I are the first in 2 generations to ever own a home but we never thought anything was ever owed to us and we were also taught to never put our hands out for the freebies, that would have been the worst disgrace to bring upon ourselves and our families. Things are very different with the new generations of immigrants who now come here illegally because of some belief that it is thier right to do so, I have no objection to people from any country who apply to come here and follow the legal way to do it, I do have a problem with people from ANY country who come here illegally and then start yelling about their "rights"........... what rights are we supposed to afford you who by the very nature of your breaking our laws and entering illegally show us that you think we are beneath you? You have NO regard for us and our laws and yet you want to be here? And we should be dancing in the streets just to have the oportunity to have you here and give you social programs that we don't even afford our own homeless and poverty stricken? Because of my work (restaurant) I have had the opportunity to work with many illegals and they all say the same thing....."we are here to make the money and send it home and we take everything we can because America is the land of stupid people who give to everybody, you bother us we sue you and we win, we don't want to learn your language all we need to know is your money and as soon as we have enough we will go home" I remember some of them coming to me to sign papers for them to receive childcare and foodstamps even tho they were illegal and making more than the going pay rate for our job, I refused to sign them as the agent for the corporation and one of the owners called to to tell me to sign them........again I refused and told him to come sign them himself as I wasn't going to be a party to the fraud. If I was making enough to support 3 children, a disabled husband (with no benefits) and my grandparents the rest of the staff surely made enough too (I made an average of $25 a week more than them) but the point for them was "it's free and we are owed it by you rich Americans" How do you fight the influx when you're just one person, me, myself.....I refuse to spend my money with anyone who doesn't speak English, I refuse to have anyone who can't tell me they are here legally and prove it do any work for me and when I go into a restaurant if I notice most of the staff is foreign I won't be staying for dinner........is it right, probably not, am I punishing some who are here legally, probably but it's all I can figure to do to make myself feel as if I am doing something at least. If I know for a fact that an employer hires illegals I make sure to tell others who feel the same way as I do. We wanted to add onto our house but will wait until we can do the work ourselves with friends helping because of all the illegals in the building trade here, I will never hire any contractor who uses illegals, my sister is having a 5000 square foot house built for herself and she has already warned her contractor that if she sees one illegal he, the contracter is OUT OF THERE, she even has it in their agreement, we both feel hiring Americans is one way to give back to the country for the opportunities it has given our family. I wish people would organize a march on Washington for those of us who hate this and really show the numbers of people who feel as we do..........I beleive the numbers they show that opposed this illegal issue are vastly underated. I do know that I will be watching those elected officials that side with the illegals and my whole extended family will show them how we indeed feel when it comes to voting for them again. I don't particulary care where you come from Germany, Ireland, Mexico, China, Italy, Pakistan............or even bum-f___-egypt as we say here, if you're here illegally LEAVE and I will welcome you back when you get here legally next time.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:25 PM

989 posts, read 2,762,014 times
I voted that it is great.

The current immigration situation is a huge mess, and this bill will go a long way towards fixing it.

A point system for new immigrants instead of simply basing it on 1) marriage 2) having a kid 3) being from a country who's leader we don't like (i.e. Cuba)

Making violators pay a $5,000 fine before applying? That's good for as much as $50 billion.

This will make the country a lot safer, too. I say that because it provides a great way for all of the "hardworking immigrants" that the left keeps talking about to become legal and live above the board. The only ones who'll be left are the (small minority) of criminal immigrants. It's a lot easier to find a needle in a haystack if you take away 99% of the hay.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:55 PM

562 posts, read 660,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
I've been following the news on this immigration deal.

I guess the biggest peeve I have with everyone flocking to America is the fact that WE are expected to change. I was naive in my thinking that there was some type of protocol for immigration to our county and for becomming an American citizen.

One thing was our language. Assumed that English was our national language and all who came here would learn it. Now, our schools, hospitals, police force etc, are learning Spanish. Walk into any grocer and look at the labels on products, they are printed in English and Spanish.

What is the deal and how will this change our communities? Our communities surrounding us are just now seeing the influx of immigrants.

Am I missing something everyone else sees, am I being to critical?

You're not missing ANYTHING! I hate seeing signs in other languages other than English! The people of this country need to repel these invaders... ourselves if our government will do NOTHING as usual!

Last edited by Yac; 05-21-2007 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: offensive part edited out. Calm down

Old 05-20-2007, 10:59 PM

562 posts, read 660,032 times
I gave you a REP POINT Mollies Mom for your EXCELLENT POST......

Old 05-20-2007, 11:12 PM

233 posts, read 439,830 times
Default Thanks

Thank you for the point Torrey. Many of the illegals that I worked with became like second children to me and even they know how I feel about the problem and say they understand.........beleive it or not many of them feel over run will illegals too............kind of makes you laugh.........sort of the pot calling the kettle black. I really think that if there were no jobs for them to come to many wouldn't hop the border so, to that end I wonder what would happen if those who employ them found their business dwindling once people knew they hired illegals and made it known to everyone. I know that we are a low income family here and it takes me a long time to make purchases because for the most part I can get something imported cheaper than I can an American made product but because of all the ramifications of buying that cheap import I have learned to wait until I can afford the American made item. We are part of the people who usually get displaced by cheap illegal labor so we know what it feels like and do everything we possibly can to help keep Americans working, most of those who are for this amnesty program have never been affected directly by it so don't know what it feels like..........if they did they just might be singing a very different tune.

Last edited by mollies mom; 05-20-2007 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 05-22-2007, 06:21 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Sounds like you are getting caught up in the illegal issue because you look Mexican (your words not mine) and I will be honest that if you wanted to do my land scaping that I would not hire you if you if you looked Mexican because I would think that you either used illegal workers or supported them as many Mexican Americans do...And I will not knowingly support an illegal or any company that they work for in any way...
Hmm, so you wouldn't hire this man even though he's an American, speaks english well, does a good job, pays his taxes, etc.- soley based on looking at him. I only have to say "wow".

Let me say this, I wholeheartidly believe that America is a welcoming country and Americans on average have no problems with anyone who wants to migrate legally and assimilate into the culture. Assimilation doesn't mean you lose your heritage or culture, it simply respects the culture you are going to live in.

Anyway this bill doesn't attempt "unbreak the egg"- at least the legislators admit that. It's still a bad piece of legislation. It provides instant legal status without going through any process of assimilation- language, laws, etc. You become legal "enough" to get bank accounts, driver licenses, etc., but just under the radar to avoid paying any income tax.

There's no incentive to do it the right way and go through the immigration process. The affect is a penalty to the small business that attempts to operate legally. If you're a small biz, you get your certs, your insuraunce/bondings, report your quarterly income, etc.- and realize you can't compete with the next guy who's using undocumented workers who are paid in cash. So the result is the legit guy is either a) run out of business or b) engages in illegal use of undocumented workers.

It breeds resentment because you're penalized for doing the right thing.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:35 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollies mom View Post
I voted it sucks because it does. My family came from Austria, Germany and Ireland. I was born in NYC in the fifties and can clearly remember getting a smack in the face when I told someone I was a German-American..........it was too big a source of pride to both sides of my family to have "become" Americans to let me say I was anything else. While some of the older relatives still conversed in the native tongue at home it was never done in public, there was too much pride in their accomplishment of becoming citizens and tho my sister and I were taught a few words of the native tongue and knew all the old customs we were taught pride of being an American and allegiance to America. Our family came here for a better life and even tho none of them ever made it into the upper classes they were forever grateful for having been given the chance to take care of their families by their hard work, most were considered to be lower class economically and my sister and I are the first in 2 generations to ever own a home but we never thought anything was ever owed to us and we were also taught to never put our hands out for the freebies, that would have been the worst disgrace to bring upon ourselves and our families. Things are very different with the new generations of immigrants who now come here illegally because of some belief that it is thier right to do so, I have no objection to people from any country who apply to come here and follow the legal way to do it, I do have a problem with people from ANY country who come here illegally and then start yelling about their "rights"........... what rights are we supposed to afford you who by the very nature of your breaking our laws and entering illegally show us that you think we are beneath you? You have NO regard for us and our laws and yet you want to be here? And we should be dancing in the streets just to have the oportunity to have you here and give you social programs that we don't even afford our own homeless and poverty stricken? Because of my work (restaurant) I have had the opportunity to work with many illegals and they all say the same thing....."we are here to make the money and send it home and we take everything we can because America is the land of stupid people who give to everybody, you bother us we sue you and we win, we don't want to learn your language all we need to know is your money and as soon as we have enough we will go home" I remember some of them coming to me to sign papers for them to receive childcare and foodstamps even tho they were illegal and making more than the going pay rate for our job, I refused to sign them as the agent for the corporation and one of the owners called to to tell me to sign them........again I refused and told him to come sign them himself as I wasn't going to be a party to the fraud. If I was making enough to support 3 children, a disabled husband (with no benefits) and my grandparents the rest of the staff surely made enough too (I made an average of $25 a week more than them) but the point for them was "it's free and we are owed it by you rich Americans" How do you fight the influx when you're just one person, me, myself.....I refuse to spend my money with anyone who doesn't speak English, I refuse to have anyone who can't tell me they are here legally and prove it do any work for me and when I go into a restaurant if I notice most of the staff is foreign I won't be staying for dinner........is it right, probably not, am I punishing some who are here legally, probably but it's all I can figure to do to make myself feel as if I am doing something at least. If I know for a fact that an employer hires illegals I make sure to tell others who feel the same way as I do. We wanted to add onto our house but will wait until we can do the work ourselves with friends helping because of all the illegals in the building trade here, I will never hire any contractor who uses illegals, my sister is having a 5000 square foot house built for herself and she has already warned her contractor that if she sees one illegal he, the contracter is OUT OF THERE, she even has it in their agreement, we both feel hiring Americans is one way to give back to the country for the opportunities it has given our family. I wish people would organize a march on Washington for those of us who hate this and really show the numbers of people who feel as we do..........I beleive the numbers they show that opposed this illegal issue are vastly underated. I do know that I will be watching those elected officials that side with the illegals and my whole extended family will show them how we indeed feel when it comes to voting for them again. I don't particulary care where you come from Germany, Ireland, Mexico, China, Italy, Pakistan............or even bum-f___-egypt as we say here, if you're here illegally LEAVE and I will welcome you back when you get here legally next time.
EXCELLENT point made, molliesmom, and a big, fat rep point to you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration