Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 03:14 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Deportation can get very costly. It runs approx 7-8 times the price of an average plane ticket. This is because of the price of holding deportees in jails when going through the process to approve deportation. Many times deportees are repeat offenders. ICE put the estimate to deport illegal immigrants at roughly $100 billion in 2005. Critics claim the cost would be higher due to the fact that prisons are crowded in many states, thus deportation centers would need to be built.

$100 billion plus dollars for deporting people who have not committed a violent crime or grand theft seems a little high. I agree that we should deport those who have committed violent crimes, grand theft and the like...Deporting the average illegal immigrant seems like a waste. We should put efforts on trying to normalize their status and teach them English.
So we should just legalize the status of every illegal alien that succeeds in violating our immigration laws as long as they aren't felons? Do you realize what an impact that would make on our population growth and the ensuing demands that go along with supporting the increased population in every way? With a policy of no enforcement like that it would entice every poor soul in the world to come here. THINK MAN!!!

Should we also let any Americans who haven't committed a felony go scot free for disdemeanor offenses because afterall it is expensive to prosecute them? I thought we were supposed to be a nation of laws? You can't be serious!!

Old 12-12-2009, 03:21 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
So we should just legalize the status of every illegal alien that succeeds in violating our immigration laws as long as they aren't felons? Do you realize what an impact that would make on our population growth and the ensuing demands that go along with supporting the increased population in every way? With a policy of no enforcement like that it would entice every poor soul in the world to come here. THINK MAN!!!

Should we also let any Americans who haven't committed a felony go scot free for disdemeanor offenses because afterall it is expensive to prosecute them? I thought we were supposed to be a nation of laws? You can't be serious!!
The pro illegal types are serious (which is cold fear on their collective parts since this recession has squashed any sort of large scale amnesty).

Old 12-12-2009, 03:27 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The pro illegal types are serious (which is cold fear on their collective parts since this recession has squashed any sort of large scale amnesty).
I've noticed that to that they are becoming more rabid by the day along with the usual screeching and playing the race card.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:32 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I've noticed that to that they are becoming more rabid by the day along with the usual screeching and playing the race card.
Actually; their venom is an excellent Litmus Test of their desperation

Old 12-12-2009, 03:49 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
You actually think that all of those Illegals in the ER, their kids jammed in our schools, others lined up to do jobs under the table or with a stolen identity are actually doing the tax payers a favor?

Again it's not $100 billion. Not to mention contributions by these people. There is sales tax, income tax, industries that employ these people. Stolen identities occur more often between legal residents.

I agree that there are social services used. But education is a good means to cut down social services.

Well if that is the case get that border open and line them up at the social service offices then.

What are you talking about?

If 20 million is good then 50 million should be great!

Again, the estimate that ICE and most people feel is that it's currently at 8 million to 12 million...

It's been that same number for over 10 years. PALEEZE

Did you not see the article I just posted that still shows almost 400 k arrests a year? How can that number not have enlarged?

Oh and I don't consider those that have been here for 5 years any less a law breaker than the ones trying to come over today. Squatting isn't some kind of seniority.

Clearly people that put the argument in such simplistic means, anyone that is so blinded by one side, anyone that doesn't take all things into consideration...is a person who is ignorant of the issues.
Blinded by what? Obeying the law? All things in consideration I'm pretty sure cheering on more law breaking isn't the route to a sovereign Nation.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:07 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
E-Verify

Could work

Do away with birthright citizenship unless one part is here legally (preferably a US citizen).

Okay, I can agree.

Make English our official language as in no more ESL (sink or swim).

This is where you go from somewhat good to good ideas to mostly plain bad ideas.

You aren't a language teacher. My dad has been a language teacher for 30 years...everything from elementary to college. Immersion with classroom teaching is best. Immersion only is a HORRIBLE idea.

Fortify our southern border using deadly force if needed although an electified fence would work wonders

Too costly, inhumane, and just plain dumb.

Ramp up workplace raids: no SSN; no hearing----------the onus of proof would be in the defendant.

No hearing? Really? This is ridiculous.

Use profiling.

Wow, you're kind of racist.

All the above would be good for starters

I'm atheist, but I still thank God that you aren't in power. It makes me sad that people like you exist in our nation.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Blinded by what? Obeying the law? All things in consideration I'm pretty sure cheering on more law breaking isn't the route to a sovereign Nation.
By your own notions, views, and prejudice. A 3 year old's logic is if it's against the law or not . An adult looks at the law and tries to change the laws to fit the situation...because of the complexity of life. Laws aren't immutable. Laws sometimes need reform.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:17 AM

You are the last person I would talk to concerning anything related to population dynamics (demography, resources, etc.) You lack the basic knowledge of population dynamics. Every poor soul would come here? Really? That's not true.

If you read my previous posts you would see I would like amnesty given to those that completed post secondary education, have lived here for a period of time and is past a certain age (elderly), is under a certain age (maybe 10). Those that have been here and are working could get work visas. Obviously, there are certain things that would be added or subtracted.

What's a disdemeanor? I know what a misdemeanor is. Obviously, you are so emotional that you are making irrrelevant and non-analogous analogies.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latino & Proud View Post
Sad year indeed.
How is it sad?

I know one illegal living in Houston who deported himself because he couldn't find work. Now he's able to see his mom and 11 siblings who he didn't see for 3 whole lonely years.

One of my neighbors got deported after he got in some bar fight and now got in on some program the Mexican government has for returning farmers and ranchers. He's back home with his wife and kids, he's now got a few cows and chickens and even says he's better working for himself than just being a cheap landscaper in the USA. He's no longer just a servant boy.

Another neighbor is either still in holding or already deported because he got picked up with drugs -- at least rumor has it. He can either go back to his hometown or live with relatives in Juarez. It's maybe sad for his girlfriend (much older) who is still here on an illegally purchased laser visa but that's all.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
If the Obama administration is behind the increased deportations......GO OBAMA!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration