Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:39 AM

50,247 posts, read 47,005,641 times

Advertisements

Illegal Immigration Critics Demand Obama Overhaul System - HispanicBusiness.com

Those numbers are still just staggering. Can you imagine if we had an open border?

Old 12-12-2009, 09:34 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,594 times
Deportation can get very costly. It runs approx 7-8 times the price of an average plane ticket. This is because of the price of holding deportees in jails when going through the process to approve deportation. Many times deportees are repeat offenders. ICE put the estimate to deport illegal immigrants at roughly $100 billion in 2005. Critics claim the cost would be higher due to the fact that prisons are crowded in many states, thus deportation centers would need to be built.

$100 billion plus dollars for deporting people who have not committed a violent crime or grand theft seems a little high. I agree that we should deport those who have committed violent crimes, grand theft and the like...Deporting the average illegal immigrant seems like a waste. We should put efforts on trying to normalize their status and teach them English.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Deportation can get very costly. It runs approx 7-8 times the price of an average plane ticket. This is because of the price of holding deportees in jails when going through the process to approve deportation. Many times deportees are repeat offenders. ICE put the estimate to deport illegal immigrants at roughly $100 billion in 2005. Critics claim the cost would be higher due to the fact that prisons are crowded in many states, thus deportation centers would need to be built.

$100 billion plus dollars for deporting people who have not committed a violent crime or grand theft seems a little high. I agree that we should deport those who have committed violent crimes, grand theft and the like...Deporting the average illegal immigrant seems like a waste. We should put efforts on trying to normalize their status and teach them English.
Except for the fact that they cost us more each year than most can ever produce I might be ok with that. The costs of school and medical make any number spent in deportation more than a good move. Now if we could shut down social services to them? Ya sure, not going to happen though.
So long as we save money deporting them over what they cost the US tax payers we have no choice but to continue. An amnesty will just open up more social services to them. They can learn English without us shelling out even more money to do it.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:15 PM

77 posts, read 102,586 times
Sad year indeed.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Except for the fact that they cost us more each year than most can ever produce I might be ok with that. The costs of school and medical make any number spent in deportation more than a good move. Now if we could shut down social services to them? Ya sure, not going to happen though.
So long as we save money deporting them over what they cost the US tax payers we have no choice but to continue. An amnesty will just open up more social services to them. They can learn English without us shelling out even more money to do it.
Not even close to being true.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Not even close to being true.
You actually think that all of those Illegals in the ER, their kids jammed in our schools, others lined up to do jobs under the table or with a stolen identity are actually doing the tax payers a favor?

Well if that is the case get that border open and line them up at the social service offices then.

If 20 million is good then 50 million should be great!

Oh and I don't consider those that have been here for 5 years any less a law breaker than the ones trying to come over today. Squatting isn't some kind of seniority.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:42 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latino & Proud View Post
Sad year indeed.
I agree. If only we'd have kept our word about the big amnesty back in '86. We said then that this was to be the 'Final amnesty'. Had we done then as we SAID we'd do, we wouldn't have all these angry, resentful, and disappointed people here now, feeling as if they're being 'cheated' out of something that was never 'theirs' to begin with.

More often than not, a 'nice' approach to law enforcement doesn't work nearly as well as a 'firm' approach.

It IS a sad year...I totally agree. When you don't 'take care of business', it always causes bigger problems later.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I agree. If only we'd have kept our word about the big amnesty back in '86. We said then that this was to be the 'Final amnesty'. Had we done then as we SAID we'd do, we wouldn't have all these angry, resentful, and disappointed people here now, feeling as if they're being 'cheated' out of something that was never 'theirs' to begin with.

More often than not, a 'nice' approach to law enforcement doesn't work nearly as well as a 'firm' approach.

It IS a sad year...I totally agree. When you don't 'take care of business', it always causes bigger problems later.
As you have previously stated they won't stop taking until they are stopped as it is their culture to ignore laws.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:19 PM

You actually think that all of those Illegals in the ER, their kids jammed in our schools, others lined up to do jobs under the table or with a stolen identity are actually doing the tax payers a favor?

Again it's not $100 billion. Not to mention contributions by these people. There is sales tax, income tax, industries that employ these people. Stolen identities occur more often between legal residents.

I agree that there are social services used. But education is a good means to cut down social services.

Well if that is the case get that border open and line them up at the social service offices then.

What are you talking about?

Again, the estimate that ICE and most people feel is that it's currently at 8 million to 12 million...

Oh and I don't consider those that have been here for 5 years any less a law breaker than the ones trying to come over today. Squatting isn't some kind of seniority.

Clearly people that put the argument in such simplistic means, anyone that is so blinded by one side, anyone that doesn't take all things into consideration...is a person who is ignorant of the issues.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:57 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:

Again it's not $100 billion. Not to mention contributions by these people. There is sales tax, income tax, industries that employ these people. Stolen identities occur more often between legal residents.

I agree that there are social services used. But education is a good means to cut down social services.

What are you talking about?

Again, the estimate that ICE and most people feel is that it's currently at 8 million to 12 million...

Clearly people that put the argument in such simplistic means, anyone that is so blinded by one side, anyone that doesn't take all things into consideration...is a person who is ignorant of the issues.
E-Verify
Do away with birthright citizenship unless one part is here legally (preferably a US citizen).
Make English our official language as in no more ESL (sink or swim).
Fortify our southern border using deadly force if needed although an electified fence would work wonders
Ramp up workplace raids: no SSN; no hearing----------the onus of proof would be in the defendant.
Use profiling.

All the above would be good for starters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration