Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 04:20 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,554,889 times

Advertisements

Anyone driving sober, with a valid driver’s license and insurance, should not fear being stopped. Why on earth are “legal” Hispanics planning to forgo work and school for fear of being stopped? If illegal aliens are arrested and deported, so be it.

Quote:
A statewide push to catch drunk drivers has alarmed members of the Hispanic community, where many fear that highway checkpoints will be used to catch and deport illegal immigrants.

The Governor's Highway Safety Program is encouraging law enforcement agencies across the state to set up checkpoints Friday.

Advocates say that many Hispanic immigrants, even those in the country legally, are planning to skip work, keep their children out of school and cancel soccer games on Friday.

"People are scared to death and going underground," said Luke Smith, a child psychiatrist who works with Hispanic patients. "They're really going into Y2K bunker mode."
http://www.newsobserver.com/1154/story/1168227.html (broken link)

Last edited by Benicar; 08-07-2008 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 04:23 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
+1

Talk about a bunch of ignorant fools..............

Old 08-07-2008, 04:24 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,683,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Anyone driving sober, with a valid driver’s license and insurance, should not fear being stopped. Why on earth are “legal” Hispanics planning to forgo work and school for fear of being stopped? If illegal aliens are arrested and deported, so be it.
Another ridiculous BooHoo BS claim, Benicar!

Anyone not breaking the law should have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:50 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,898,333 times
Yeah, I don't even get that person driving legally and not drunk would be scared of.

I mean a little annoyed at waiting on check point lines, but scared of what?

Old 08-07-2008, 04:59 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,420,740 times
Just like in SOCal. We put up check points and pull illegals over and the Law was considered "Racist" and Profiling".

Old 08-07-2008, 05:04 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,092,680 times
I don't blame them at all for being paranoid about be stopped legal or not. They know how it is with the illegals and for all they know an agent may have a problem with a Mexican period even if he is legal. A agent can intimidate even if the person is legal
because said agent may have a personal problem with Mexican people in general.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:09 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,420,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I don't blame them at all for being paranoid about be stopped legal or not. They know how it is with the illegals and for all they know an agent may have a problem with a Mexican period even if he is legal. A agent can intimidate even if the person is legal
because said agent may have a personal problem with Mexican people in general.
It was never like that........it was only made to sound like it was like that. Illegals were using the race card to try and get out of anything they could.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:17 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,666,843 times
Quote:
newsobserver.com | Some fear checkpoints may target illegal immigrants (http://www.newsobserver.com/1154/story/1168227.html - broken link)
I disagree with the "so be it" part. I am against deportation because a) it costs about $8000 per person; b) it is socially disruptive; c) it could be elminating a person that puts more into the American economy than consumes in social services.

I am not really against sobriety checkpoints and I think it's fine to demand ID. Being stopped while driving is a risk you run when you live in this country illegally without a valid ID.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:37 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,092,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
It was never like that........it was only made to sound like it was like that. Illegals were using the race card to try and get out of anything they could.
Do you know that for sure? That is like saying there is never a police officer that has a problem with Blacks, and I don't think you can say that has never happened. These agents are human beings and does not mean they leave their feelings towards a group of Blacks or Mexicans. I'm sure that many Blacks their feeling of intimidations. There are good agents and agents that may like to throw their power around.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:40 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:

newsobserver.com | Some fear checkpoints may target illegal immigrants (http://www.newsobserver.com/1154/story/1168227.html - broken link)
Ok i get it. We should stop cracking down on immigration violations and stop enforcing other laws so we dont hurt the illegals feelings?

If you dont have a valid drivers license you have no business driving a car, plain and simple. If you dont like cops dont give them reasons to give you trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration