Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 12:36 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times

Advertisements

nope, i dont feel stabbed in the back.

there are bigger problems in my community than illegals. most of them [illegals] arent bad. i say go after the rapists, drug dealers, murderers, molesters etc etc, and if they happen to be illegal, then voila! 2 birds with one stone.

Last edited by the one; 12-17-2009 at 12:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 12:37 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Weren't you one of the ones in here yesterday stating you don't want e-verify implemented until after the illegals already here are legalized?
Nope, never said that.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:40 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Nope, never said that.
Ok, my mistake then. So, you advocate for just leaving things status quo then? We should have an illegal underground workforce for eternity while Americans foot the bill for their social costs?

Old 12-17-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Ok, my mistake then. So, you advocate for just leaving things status quo then? We should have an illegal underground workforce for eternity while Americans foot the bill for their social costs?
No, when did I say that?

Old 12-17-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

there are bigger problems in my community than illegals. most of them arent bad. i say go after the rapists, drug dealers, murderers, molesters etc etc, and if they happen to be illegal, then voila! 2 birds with one stone.
Depends on what you mean by "bad"? Violating our immigration laws is bad. I.D. theft and tax evasion is bad. Sucking our taxpayer benefits dry is bad. Overcrowdiing our schools, jails and hospitals is bad. Americans losing jobs or having their wages stagnating or dropping due to an available illegal cheap labor force is bad. What happened to the multi-cultural, diversity rhetoric? We won't remain so with illegal immigration coming from mostly one ethnic group. We are even having to learn or speak Spanish to get a job in our own country due to illegal immigration from south of our border. None of this is "bad"?

Old 12-17-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
No, when did I say that?
You're right, I misread a prior post of yours. That's what I get for not quoting you and relying on my memory instead. Are you for implementing e-verify ASAP and making it mandatory to check the status of current hires and future hires? By ASAP I mean before or if any amnesty were to occur.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
You're right, I misread a prior post of yours. That's what I get for not quoting you and relying on my memory instead. Are you for implementing e-verify ASAP and making it mandatory to check the status of current hires and future hires? By ASAP I mean before or if any amnesty were to occur.
Yep. It makes no sense that E-verify would have to wait because regardless it should be required for any new hires. Without checks like that fraud is too easy.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Yep. It makes no sense that E-verify would have to wait because regardless it should be required for any new hires. Without checks like that fraud is too easy.
And those already on the payroll?

Old 12-17-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
And those already on the payroll?
That's a trickier subject. If that were strictly enforced and all employers had to do an immediate backlog e-verify on their entire payroll you'd literally be seing factories and restaurants closing down because they wouldn't have the necessary staff to keep running.

For companies that don't have conditional job offer forms or some other type of legal protection could have legal problems with just suddenly terminating an employee if they didn't have a legitimate reason to do the ID check (such as an allegation).

I guess I have a hard time believing the federal government could mandate something like that. Usually when those types of processes change so drastically, already existing employees would be grandfathered as they were hired under a previous process.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:46 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

there are bigger problems in my community than illegals. most of them [illegals] arent bad. i say go after the rapists, drug dealers, murderers, molesters etc etc, and if they happen to be illegal, then voila! 2 birds with one stone.
The problem is that many illegals are those bad people that you describe. The problem is that although many are not murderers and rapists many are criminals of other flavors. The fact is that 100% of them are a criminal of some kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration