Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2007, 12:30 PM

786 posts, read 4,733,123 times

Advertisements

I saw my elected Congressman Jim Moran (Northern VA) walking down the street and approached him and asked if he had time to discuss the most important issue facing America ever. He said I should write him a letter. I told him I did not feel that he or anyone else in Congress would really pay that much attention to a letter or email. They only pay attention to the corporate fat cats or lobbyists. He became angry at me, and claimed that was not true.

Anyway I asked him if he was doing anything to protect the border. He told me the anti immigrant people were all a bunch of racists. He went into the prepared speech telling me we are all immigrants and our country is needs more immigrants not less. He said it did not really matter if the people had papers or not, we needed them. Then he walked away.

I understand the motivations of the open borders crowd now. They say anyone who comes here from outside our country is good, and if they are illegal aliens they are really just immigrants without papers. Anyone who disagrees with this are racists. How can we reason with people like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 01:24 PM

178 posts, read 416,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I saw my elected Congressman Jim Moran (Northern VA) walking down the street and approached him and asked if he had time to discuss the most important issue facing America ever. He said I should write him a letter. I told him I did not feel that he or anyone else in Congress would really pay that much attention to a letter or email. They only pay attention to the corporate fat cats or lobbyists. He became angry at me, and claimed that was not true.

Anyway I asked him if he was doing anything to protect the border. He told me the anti immigrant people were all a bunch of racists. He went into the prepared speech telling me we are all immigrants and our country is needs more immigrants not less. He said it did not really matter if the people had papers or not, we needed them. Then he walked away.

I understand the motivations of the open borders crowd now. They say anyone who comes here from outside our country is good, and if they are illegal aliens they are really just immigrants without papers. Anyone who disagrees with this are racists. How can we reason with people like this?
Anyone who is as racist as he is against the citizens in this country does not deserve your concern. He is gone.

He is obviously being bought off. He knows he is spinning lies. Give him up.

He is a waste to the office he was elected to, and should be ran off at the next election, if not impeached before time, for his anti American hate talk.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:29 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryPie View Post
Anyone who is as racist as he is against the citizens in this country does not deserve your concern. He is gone.

He is obviously being bought off. He knows he is spinning lies. Give him up.

He is a waste to the office he was elected to, and should be ran off at the next election, if not impeached before time, for his anti American hate talk.
This person should become a political human sacrifice. Alert your local conservative anti illegal immigration radio talk show hosts. You should all work together to ensure that this person is not re-elected to office.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:22 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Congressman Moran was just elected by his district (VA-8) for the ninth time. He received over 66% of the vote. His district includes substantial numbers of recent immigrants. He has ideas on immigration, and unlike many seen here, some of them are sensible. You could read them here and decide for yourself...

http://moran.house.gov/issues_immigration.shtml (broken link)

Old 05-20-2007, 03:39 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,994 times
He should be thrown out of office for betraying America.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:24 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post

Send him a registered letter reminding him that it is his job as Congressman to hear the concerns of ALL his constituents- not just the ones he agrees with.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:48 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,089,156 times
[quote=saganista;746350]Congressman Moran; His district includes substantial numbers of recent immigrants.

substantial numbers of RECENT immigrants (illegal) is where So. Calif. was
in 1985! Moran needs a look at So. Calif. NOW to see how we are going down the drain, to see how bad we are struggling financially and to see the huge amount of crime, for starters. Are these politicians all for big business and nothing more?

Old 05-20-2007, 04:55 PM

786 posts, read 4,733,123 times
Congressman Moran talks out of both sides of his mouth. He thinks UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS help our country but he wants to give the tools needed to our Border Patrol to keep new ones out. I read his website, it makes no sense.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:32 PM

Location: Arlington, VA, WAY too close to the artificial urgency that is DC
3 posts, read 8,187 times
I sent the following letter to Moran just now.

Congressman James Moran – (D – Va 8th District)
2239 Rayburn Building
Washington, DC 20515-4608
27 June, 2007

Dear Congressman Moran,

I am a registered Republican but I am not a mindless conservative. I tend to vote Democratic, but I am NOT a mindless liberal. I vote based on careful analysis of the issues, not political parties. I have supported you consistently since I became a Virginia voter in 1990.

I have communicated my position on immigration reform in the past. Now that the Senate has resurrected the immigration reform bill in the Senate, I want to tell you that immigration reform is THE single hot-button issue that this country faces at this time. Even more so than the Bush’s war in Iraq.

To understand your position in immigration reform, I read the immigration issue paper on your website (Congressman Jim Moran's Web Site - Issues - Immigration (http://moran.house.gov/issues_immigration.shtml - broken link)).

I’m glad to read that we agree on several important elements of immigration reform.

Like you, I support a comprehensive approach to fixing our nation’s broken immigration system, however, the devil is in the details.

Most importantly and like you, I believe that any comprehensive immigration "reform" bill must start with stronger border security. That is actually not even something that needs to wait for an immigration "reform" bill to direct. Congress has the authority, the obligation, to demand border enforcement right now.

And yes all immigrants to the U.S. must be required to learn English. But you fail to say when. Functional literacy in English must be a requirement met BEFORE citizenship is granted. Failure to do so within a reasonable time, say three years, should result in withdrawal of the immigration documents and deportation.

But I am saddened and frustrated that the rest of your positions on immigration do not reflect those of the constituents that elected you to the House and that you are supposed to be representing. Your positions are the same as the liberal side of the Democratic Party, i.e., they are purely partisan and at the expense of your constituents.

First, I and ALL of your constituents that I have discussed this with, can NOT support a new worker visa program that provides a path to earned citizenship unless you clarify the details. There must be NO path to citizenship for illegal aliens and any illegal family members while they remain in this country illegally.

You are at opposite poles from your constituents on the matter undocumented immigrants, and I’ll call them what they are, ILLEGAL immigrants, actually contributing to our society. Sadly, your immigration issue paper on your website offers no evidence to support your position. The only contribution illegal immigrants make to our society is to depress wages for unskilled jobs below a livable level and over-burden social services. It is an urban myth that illegal aliens “often take jobs that others do not want.” The only reason that there are any jobs that “others do not want” is because those jobs don’t pay a living wage. Businesses that relay on illegal immigrants for labor don’t offer livable wages because the illegal immigrants are willing to do the work at sub-livable wage rates.

The jobs issue is readily fixed by criminalizing the employment of illegal aliens.

Further, you offer references whatsoever to support your claim that illegal aliens actually pay Social Security taxes. The only “contribution to American society made by illegal immigrants is to depress wages on already low-paying jobs.

I respectfully request you tell me and indeed all your constituents how “physically dislodging and deporting the estimated 14 million” illegal immigrants (up from 12 million last week by the way) “runs counter to our values as a country.” What values? The values of this country should be the welfare of its LEGAL citizens, not 14 million illegal immigrants.

Further, your statement that dislodging and deporting the estimated 14 million illegal immigrants in this country is highly impractical and very costly, perhaps impossible, as your issue paper states. That is EASILY solved by cutting off the reason these illegal immigrants are here in the first place. Crack down on the employers of the illegal immigrants.

Although business interests (read moneyed special interests) have an unhealthy sway on our national, state and local elected officials, you MUST stand up for the national interest over theirs. The national interest is for functional, funded and enforced immigration laws that are structured to look out for the nation and not illegal immigrants. Businesses that hire illegal aliens must be severely punished. Mandatory company fines of $100K per illegal alien under their employ for the company, and mandatory $10K AND 30 days in jail PER illegal immigrant for those that hired the illegal immigrants, and those that daily assign or supervise the illegal immigrants. Without jobs, the vast majority of illegal immigrants already here will self-deport, and there will no longer be a reason to come here illegally.

Your stance on immigration reform is further damned by your unfounded and highly inflammatory claim that “dislodging and deporting the estimated 14 million illegal immigrants in this country” “could result in a societal rift our country has not seen since the 1960’s civil rights movement.” That type of scaremongering is responsible from an elected member of Congress. Are you TRYING to make this happen?

However, your claim that “serious human rights issues are involved because too many die trying to come to America” means something ONLY if you support going after the moneyed special business interests that are responsible for corrupting our immigration laws and ENCOURAGING the hemorrhage of illegal immigrants into the U.S. I repeat my earlier entreaty, you MUST stand up for the national interest, the Americans who voted for you, over those of the moneyed special interest groups.

You hold the view that our economy could be stronger if we had a functioning immigration system in place, one in which people could expeditiously receive work permits and visas – thus reducing the incentive for people to go outside of the system to enter our country. Your constituents agree with you on this one, but with a lttle caveat that we should not be inviting immigrants into this country just because they will work for a sub living wage.

If you disagree with any of the immigration issues I have laid out, please have the courtesy to tell me, but not in the bloated, obtuse and intentionally vague style of Senator Kennedy and his kind. I am always open to civilized debate on this topic and willing to consider rational opposing viewpoints, especially to be educated on how an opposing viewpoint is in the best interest of the nation’s taxpaying citizens.

So, Congressman Moran, although I am a registered Republican, I have supported you consistently since I became a Virginia voter in 1990. I am not a mindless conservative. I tend to vote Democratic, but I am NOT a mindless liberal. I vote based on careful analysis of the issues, not political parties. I hope I haven’t been making a mistake these past seventeen years. Your votes on immigration matters will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration