Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 10:34 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times

Advertisements

This is an excerpt from the new amnesty bill. I find it laughable that pregnant women, and those with minor children, are exempt from the “contributing” requirement. There will not be a childless illegal female in this country. Notice also, as long as an illegal can prove that s/he has been in this country for 5 years, they are also “exempt” from the requirements. This bill would essentially legalize every illegal alien who manages to sneak across our borders.

Quote:
H.R.4321
Comprehensive Immigration Reform ASAP Act of 2009 (Introduced in House)

(1) IN GENERAL- The Secretary shall not accept the registration of an alien, or classify an alien as a conditional nonimmigrant or conditional nonimmigrant dependent unless the alien attests, under penalty of perjury, that he or she is contributing to the United States through one or more of the following enterprises--

(A) the alien is employed full-time, part-time, or seasonally in the United States, is self-employed, or is actively seeking employment;

(B) is enrolled full- or part-time in an accredited secondary or post-secondary school, university, or other institution of higher education, or an accredited vocational, technical, or other training program; or

(C) is a member of the active or reserve Armed Services, the National Guard, or other government sponsored civil service program; or

(D) otherwise establishes, to the satisfaction of the Secretary, that the alien is an active volunteer or community member.

(2) EXEMPTIONS- The requirements in paragraph (1) shall not apply to any individual who, at the time of registration--

(A) is 65 years of age or older, has a physical or mental disability, is pregnant, is the primary caregiver to a child under the age of 16 or to an elderly or disabled person, or is on official extended medical leave; or

(B) is the spouse of a United States citizen or lawful permanent resident;

(C) is a child 21 years of age or younger of a United States citizen or lawful permanent resident; or

(D) has been physically present in the United States for a continuous period of not less than 5 years immediately preceding the date of enactment of this Act, and had not yet reached the age of 16 years at the time of initial entry and had not yet reached the age of 35 years on the date of the enactment of this Act.
Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 10:37 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
How utterly depressing. Thanks for ruing my holiday.

And to think we spent $15,000 to get my Canadian husband into this country legally. Really, this kind of stuff makes me sick to my stomach.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-23-2009, 10:39 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Well hell -- the only people who are not going to benefit are single males......unless they volunteer at the local animal shelter then they would be in like flynn

I wonder if 'volunteerism' also covers court mandated community service?

Old 12-23-2009, 10:41 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

And to think we spent $15,000 to get my Canadian husband into this country legally. Really, this kind of stuff makes me sick to my stomach.

20yrsinBranson

Tell me about it -- when we adopted my son we went through so many hoops to prove he wasn't a fifteen month old member of Al Queda and to see that now anyone with a pulse (and a dependent or a volunteer 'job') can be granted citizenship just infuriates me.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
I can certainly empathize. My ex jumped through many hoops to become a citizen. Now, we have a free-for-all. Why would anyone consider playing by the rules?

Old 12-23-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Well hell -- the only people who are not going to benefit are single males......unless they volunteer at the local animal shelter then they would be in like flynn

I wonder if 'volunteerism' also covers court mandated community service?
No doubt. Perhaps even gang members can volunteer their services. This is beyond absurd.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:07 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
yes, gang members and mobsters...

just like all other plans, these technicalities have to be ironed out and if you oppose this then write your representatives.

make your voice heard. spread the word. but dont diminish the importance of taking such action by exagerating the facts. it makes it a joke.

gang members,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No doubt. Perhaps even gang members can volunteer their services. This is beyond absurd.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:14 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Fortunately it is only a bill. It can be re-written or voted down. We still have enough blue dog democrats and independence to block such asinine legislation.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
yes, gang members and mobsters...

just like all other plans, these technicalities have to be ironed out and if you oppose this then write your representatives.

make your voice heard. spread the word. but dont diminish the importance of taking such action by exagerating the facts. it makes it a joke.

gang members,
Make no mistake, they ALL hear from me on a regular basis.

Make it a joke? I couldn’t possibly make this more of a joke than it already is. Furthermore, it is not farfetched for gang members to be given an opportunity to “earn” their so-called path to citizenship. If they have no arrest record, and have lived here for 5 years, they would indeed be eligible. Why not? After all, we wouldn’t want to discriminate against an illegal who hasn’t been arrested or convicted of a crime, now would we?

Talk about a joke -- the last shamnesty bill only required gang members to “renounce” their gang membership; and we all know how honorable gangbangers are. I haven’t read this entire bill. Who knows, this time they may require them to volunteer for a specified number of hours of community service -- perhaps cleaning graffiti.

In any case, this bill was designed to be DOA.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:45 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times
That's horrible. Are they serious with this? Our government, LOL. We shouldn't be surprised though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration