Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:30 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,314,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I know you do. But, just because you disagree doesn't mean you are right. Risky politically? Think about that for one sec. Hint: Demographics.

I know you would chuckle since it would fly over your head. Afterall, you are the one who argued that not knowing the causes of illegal immigration is perfectly valid.

Doubling or tripling? What? Please take a demography class...you clearly need to.
And you clearly need to be more civil in your responses.

Common sense can never be wrong. Demographics? You had better give a better hint than that.

I never said I didn't know the causes of illegal immigration but it is irrelevant to enforcing our immigration laws.

You had better take a look at the predictions on our future population numbers before you spout off. It is astounding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Nazism used nationalistic justification. Our justification to enter into Iraq was on the basis of hyper nationalsim.

Take the time to be better informed.
Nazism has nothing to do with the issue at hand which is illegal immigration and most of us that feel patriotic (nationalistic) about our country do not have a nazi mindset. There are differing views on the Iraq war and not all anti-immigrationists like myself agree with that war. Quit lumping all anti's together as one mindset on every issue.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:40 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,594 times

I was. You disagreed, and you failed to acknowledge the economic impacts as well as the fact that total deporation would be $100 billion according to ICE in 2007. It's not my fault you didn't acknowledge these things.

Common sense can never be wrong. Demographics? You had better give a better hint than that.

Wow. Well, the implication being common sense is exhibited.

Well, how would find people to deport? Most likely via profiling. This, of course is not the best of actions. I noticed you thought I wrote "Ethnically" I wrote "ethically" as in pertaining to ethics.

I never said I didn't know the causes of illegal immigration but it is irrelevant to enforcing our immigration laws.

It's highly relevant to enforcing our laws. That's how laws are made, by looking at history and present of a situation. That's how we determine enforcement (ideally of course).

You had better take a look at the predictions on our future population numbers before you spout off. It is astounding.

Yes, one day it is possible that the American population will "explode" to be billions of people. However population dynamics nearly always assume linear growth. This doesn't take into account social trends. Again, a class in demography or Human Geo even would help.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:

I was. You disagreed, and you failed to acknowledge the economic impacts as well as the fact that total deporation would be $100 billion according to ICE in 2007. It's not my fault you didn't acknowledge these things.

Wow. Well, the implication being common sense is exhibited.

Well, how would find people to deport? Most likely via profiling. This, of course is not the best of actions. I noticed you thought I wrote "Ethnically" I wrote "ethically" as in pertaining to ethics.

It's highly relevant to enforcing our laws. That's how laws are made, by looking at history and present of a situation. That's how we determine enforcement (ideally of course).

Yes, one day it is possible that the American population will "explode" to be billions of people. However population dynamics nearly always assume linear growth. This doesn't take into account social trends. Again, a class in demography or Human Geo even would help.
I said short term loss, long term gain. That IS acknowledging an economic impact.... SHORT TERM. E-verify and denying taxpayer benefits to those in our country illegally will cause many if not most to self-deport. Where are the costs involved with that? How much do you think it would cost us to amnesty all these illegals by monitoring any imposed fines, back taxes to be paid, learning English and any other so-called requirements to remain here? That is just the tip of the iceberg in costs when you factor in that they are at the poverty level and still won't be paying in enough taxes to cover their social costs if legalized.

Again, e-verify would seek out most illegals. Does that answer your question as to how to find them? Proof of legality in this country could also be required in other places. No need to profile. Ask everyone!

It was a typo on my part. I know you wrote "ethically". There is nothing unethical about deporting illegal aliens.

We base our immigration laws on the best interests of THIS country. Nothing else, nor should they be. They aren't based on history, nor should they be. Enforcement is based on the statute of the law as it is written presently.

What would help you in regards to population predictions is reading viable sources that do research on that sort of thing. Using some common sense also is a help. With 12-20 million or even more illegal aliens entering our country in a couple of decades and the high Hispanic and other immigrant birthrates one can reach a reasonable conclusion of projections if this continues and we have no reason to believe that it won't right now. Our birthrates right now are nearlly double our deathrates. Do the math yourself.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:15 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
I know you do. But, just because you disagree doesn't mean you are right. Risky politically? Think about that for one sec. Hint: Demographics.

I know you would chuckle since it would fly over your head. Afterall, you are the one who argued that not knowing the causes of illegal immigration is perfectly valid.

Doubling or tripling? What? Please take a demography class...you clearly need to.
Demographics of whom? If discussing Mexico---------it is tipping into civil war which will likely ravage its population base. Remember that SoB is almost at ZPG so where are the so-called 'vaunted Aztec warriors' going to find fresh cannon fodder uh, recruits to try to take down the USA? 'taint gonna happen, that1guy.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:16 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Nazism used nationalistic justification. Our justification to enter into Iraq was on the basis of hyper nationalsim.

Take the time to be better informed.
You have crossed the line there.

This I will say: if illegals keep pissing us American off------------there will be hell to pay. Hint: leave while the gettin' is good.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:32 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,499 times
Quote:
Because being born "in a place" have EVERYTHING to do with it!

Not really actually.

I was born here; I am HAPPY for that.

I'm glad.

I can "see" the bigger world around me. I can even see all the problems suffered by so many people around the world. This doesn't mean I CAN'T be happy I was born HERE instead of THERE. (Wherever there may be.)

I'm glad your happy, but you truly don't understand the problems without actually going or at least studying the problems. I may assume wrongly, but it seems that you have a more nationalistic view of immigration and less of a global view.
Actually, being born "in a place" has everything to do with it. Those illegally entering our country (this place where I was born) are leaving their country (the place where they were born) and setting up homes here. They must think that my place of birth is better than theirs or else they would not be coming here. If they had as much pride in their country as I do in mine, then they would stay and try to change things there instead of coming here and demanding we change for them.

I do not need to visit far off lands to know their problems. I can read very well, thank you very much, and I do research and study what I want to know. However, I do not believe that the United States needs to be the world's keeper. We have enough problems here that need fixing first. And if that is nationalistic, then so be it.

Nationalism:
  1. Devotion to the interests or culture of one's nation.
  2. The belief that nations will benefit from acting independently rather than collectively, emphasizing national rather than international goals.
  3. Aspirations for national independence in a country under foreign domination.
Not that I have anything against the rest of the world, but we need to take care of our own country. Our government is giving our country away and it's up to the people to take it back. Only when we have all our own problems (all of them, not just illegal aliens) taken care of should we worry about helping the rest of the world.
There are poor people everywhere that would love to come here. We cannot have them all move here - not legally and certainly not illegally. We don't have to welcome poor people from ANY country. We, as a nation, have the right to pick and choose.
How about - we take care of our country and let others take care of theirs!
Wars are another subject.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:40 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Actually, being born "in a place" has everything to do with it. Those illegally entering our country (this place where I was born) are leaving their country (the place where they were born) and setting up homes here. They must think that my place of birth is better than theirs or else they would not be coming here. If they had as much pride in their country as I do in mine, then they would stay and try to change things there instead of coming here and demanding we change for them.

I do not need to visit far off lands to know their problems. I can read very well, thank you very much, and I do research and study what I want to know. However, I do not believe that the United States needs to be the world's keeper. We have enough problems here that need fixing first. And if that is nationalistic, then so be it.

Nationalism:
  1. Devotion to the interests or culture of one's nation.
  2. The belief that nations will benefit from acting independently rather than collectively, emphasizing national rather than international goals.
  3. Aspirations for national independence in a country under foreign domination.
Not that I have anything against the rest of the world, but we need to take care of our own country. Our government is giving our country away and it's up to the people to take it back. Only when we have all our own problems (all of them, not just illegal aliens) taken care of should we worry about helping the rest of the world.
There are poor people everywhere that would love to come here. We cannot have them all move here - not legally and certainly not illegally. We don't have to welcome poor people from ANY country. We, as a nation, have the right to pick and choose.
How about - we take care of our country and let others take care of theirs!
Wars are another subject.
Beautiful post. Absolutely beautiful.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You have crossed the line there.

This I will say: if illegals keep pissing us American off------------there will be hell to pay. Hint: leave while the gettin' is good.
How does this relate to the quotation?

Old 12-30-2009, 10:53 PM

I said short term loss, long term gain. That IS acknowledging an economic impact.... SHORT TERM. E-verify and denying taxpayer benefits to those in our country illegally will cause many if not most to self-deport. Where are the costs involved with that? How much do you think it would cost us to amnesty all these illegals by monitoring any imposed fines, back taxes to be paid, learning English and any other so-called requirements to remain here? That is just the tip of the iceberg in costs when you factor in that they are at the poverty level and still won't be paying in enough taxes to cover their social costs if legalized.

$100 billion with the high possilibility of re-entry, thus now we have to constantly seal the border. That's a long term loss. It's not economically feasible. E-Verify could work, once the kinks are sorted out and a proper plan is in place.

The majority are not poverty level BTW. The majority do pay taxes as well. Not to mention sales tax revenue.

Again, e-verify would seek out most illegals. Does that answer your question as to how to find them? Proof of legality in this country could also be required in other places. No need to profile. Ask everyone!

Umm...what if you don't worked in the informal sector and thus no e-verify? Not only that, but historical precedence shows that deportation and profiling go hand in hand. That's what everyone says.

It was a typo on my part. I know you wrote "ethically". There is nothing unethical about deporting illegal aliens.

See above.

We base our immigration laws on the best interests of THIS country. Nothing else, nor should they be. They aren't based on history, nor should they be. Enforcement is based on the statute of the law as it is written presently.

Exactly, the best interests of this country. So we look to the past to see what didn't work. We look at the geopolitical conditions around us. We look at the current cultural climate. It's not as easy as simply rounding up people and deporting them.

What would help you in regards to population predictions is reading viable sources that do research on that sort of thing. Using some common sense also is a help. With 12-20 million or even more illegal aliens entering our country in a couple of decades and the high Hispanic and other immigrant birthrates one can reach a reasonable conclusion of projections if this continues and we have no reason to believe that it won't right now. Our birthrates right now are nearlly double our deathrates. Do the math yourself.

Umm...don't your pretty little head about demographics. I know it's a little daunting to understand. But, nobody expects you to get it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration