U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2007, 11:47 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,940,646 times

Advertisements

The politicians keep referring to the $5K fee that they would have to pay. Is this per household or per person? If they pay this fine, wouldn't they be able to file income taxes(presumably since they have legal status) and get refunded all of their tax $$ back espec if they have kids and stay at home spouse?
If they have legal status, are they eligible to receive financial welfare?

I've also read that the fine is "UP TO $5K". I also read that Sen john cornyn of tx had a brawl with traitor mccain concerning that illegals could APPEAL payment of the $5k fine. I can just imagine all of the immigration courts being backlogged with those claiming not being able to pay. I wish that I could that with my income taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 12:51 AM

985 posts, read 2,504,365 times
Default Hard to say

Since they have not yet written the final (or any) version, everything could change. There is a valid arguement for both...

You already made a case for it being per family

The per individual could be because they said that they will be reducing "family claims" for residency (that basically means, "I'm a citizen, so now my dad can apply and come over too" etc)

Old 05-22-2007, 02:56 AM

2,432 posts, read 6,003,319 times
One of the senators interviewed on cable news also said the 5 thousand could be paid over four or five years.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:33 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,924,254 times
I think I read in Christian science monitor (I am pretty sure) that the fee was $1500 per person and a cap of $5000 per family.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:45 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,562,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
The politicians keep referring to the $5K fee that they would have to pay. Is this per household or per person? If they pay this fine, wouldn't they be able to file income taxes(presumably since they have legal status) and get refunded all of their tax $$ back espec if they have kids and stay at home spouse?
If they have legal status, are they eligible to receive financial welfare?

I've also read that the fine is "UP TO $5K". I also read that Sen john cornyn of tx had a brawl with traitor mccain concerning that illegals could APPEAL payment of the $5k fine. I can just imagine all of the immigration courts being backlogged with those claiming not being able to pay. I wish that I could that with my income taxes.

Seen a show on tv last night about that, and that came up. From what they were saying,and how I understud, it would be $5k per illegal person in the family (parents, children excluded).
They interviewed a married couple, both here illegal, and they said they cant affort to pay $10,000.00, from what they are making. So, they also said, they didn't THINK they should pay, because their children are anchor babies born US citizens!!!
Also, are they worried if they would go back to mexico, to comply with the immigration reform bill, that the US wouldn't let them back in.
As of yesterday did that couple say, they will continue to reside here ...illegal...until the US government comes up with a better solution suiting THEM!!!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 08:56 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,924,254 times
I am also worried about this part of the bill:

"In addition, the cap for high-skilled workers admitted under the H-1B visa program will be increased from 65,000 to 115,000 annually – a flash point for lawmakers concerned about the impact of such a move on wages and job prospects for US high-tech workers.

In an early warning sign on this issue, Sens. Grassley and Richard Durbin (D) of Illinois, the No. 2 Democratic leader, called on the top nine foreign-based companies that use H-1B visas to disclose details about their workforce. Democratic staff members say they are expecting a floor fight on the program."

I think this is from chicago trib or CSM...

Watch this subject closely, I could see this passing and slipping by because everyone is so upset about the mexican immigration problems, which are more high profile.

"google" H1B visa abuse sometime and read.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:00 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,562,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I am also worried about this part of the bill:

"In addition, the cap for high-skilled workers admitted under the H-1B visa program will be increased from 65,000 to 115,000 annually a flash point for lawmakers concerned about the impact of such a move on wages and job prospects for US high-tech workers.

In an early warning sign on this issue, Sens. Grassley and Richard Durbin (D) of Illinois, the No. 2 Democratic leader, called on the top nine foreign-based companies that use H-1B visas to disclose details about their workforce. Democratic staff members say they are expecting a floor fight on the program."

I think this is from chicago trib or CSM...

Watch this subject closely, I could see this passing and slipping by because everyone is so upset about the mexican immigration problems, which are more high profile.

"google" H1B visa abuse sometime and read.
Are you sure, I should read that, and probably get my blood pressure up??? LOL
Whatever is written there, is more then likely filled with one loophole after another, benefiting the ones which are more then less deserving.
Isn't that always the case anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or