Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 02:32 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,302,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I'm not arguing in favor or against illegal immigration. I'm only stating the obvious: that our country could easily accommodate a lot more people than we presently have. My city is underpopulated, and I would love to see it to grow from 85,000 to 340,000. That way we could get a lot more good ethnic food.

There may be a lot of good arguments against immigration, but population isn't one of them.
But, they shouldn't be illegally here. We shouldn't be "accommodating" illegal immigrants. It's an unnecessary adjustment that should not have to happen if our government did its job.

Get more ethnic food? That's funny, but this isn't a laughing matter to a lot of us. Sorry, I'm a jokester, but the way my city is, there's no room to joke around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i am well aware of the difference, but a lot of posters, regulars and non-regulars, are against immigration in any form.

i personally wouldnt [solely]blame immigrants(illegal or otherwise) for the problems we face.
Who? I've been here for about a month and I don't see "a lot of posters" being against immigration.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
If you are aware of the difference between legal and illegal immigrants then why say just "immigrants"? I don't know of anyone in here that thinks that any legal immigrants are a problem. Illegals do contribute to the many problems we have in this country. That doesn't mean that we blame all of the country's woes on them.

I don't think there is anyone in here who is against legal immigration as long as it is in the national interest. Twisting people's views does not help with the debating of either issue.
Exactly.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
1. I was sort of joking about the ethnic food. But I would like some growth in my city.

2. Along with increases in population come more doctors, more jobs, more schools, more hospitals, and more jails.

3. Who said all the growth would be from immigrants?

4. I don't see food rationing happening in China.
At the expense of other people right? Based on your #2 and #4, I think you need to do more research and reading on this issue before making an opinion on how illegal immigration is so great and good for the U.S. I think that a lot of people who are OK with illegal immigration really have not taken the time to educate themselves on what it really means, the numbers, what is really going on in the areas that are saturated with an illegal immigrant population and the long-term effects, including negative effects. Most people who are OK with illegal immigration, I would say that they fall into that category. So, you guys promote this stuff, but don't even know what is really going on to support your joyous and humanitarian feelings of sharing the US with those who are here illegally.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:11 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,380,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I'm aware of the water shortages in the southwest US. People there are essentially living in a desert and are confused why they can't water their lawn 24/7. Restricting water use doesn't translate to people dying of thirst left and right. And like I said, if you really wanted water you could form an agreement with a state in the midwest and create a connecting water pipe and pay us for it. We have plenty of water here to go around....for a price.

Where I was living in Mexico water was only turned on from 7-11am and people have found a way to live with this...and it isn't that bad.

How about this --- how about we DON'T adopt third world solutions to our problems?

How about we NOT invite or encourage mass, unsustainable immigration so that we constantly have to keep finding solutions to problems that we didn't have before?

Again, WHAT BENEFIT comes from a huge population, or from being the third world's "release valve" for their poor and destitute?

Old 01-10-2010, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 2,194 times
I agree we should as a country, be more concerned with the needs of our legal immigrants verses the illegal ones. I feel illegal immagrants get to many "perks" from our country. maybe that is the draw for them to be here.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,643,145 times
Quote:
Also, I don't understand why you are so quick to write off every aspect of Mexico. Your elitist attitude appalls me.
Yet you are the one who fled your country. You wrote it off. Actions speak louder than words and your actions were to stampede out of there.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I'm aware of the water shortages in the southwest US. People there are essentially living in a desert and are confused why they can't water their lawn 24/7. Restricting water use doesn't translate to people dying of thirst left and right. And like I said, if you really wanted water you could form an agreement with a state in the midwest and create a connecting water pipe and pay us for it. We have plenty of water here to go around....for a price.

Where I was living in Mexico water was only turned on from 7-11am and people have found a way to live with this...and it isn't that bad.
And if it wasn't so bad to live like that, why did you leave?

What's so wrong with Americans liking a middle class standard of living and wanting to keep it that way?

Filling the USA with hundreds of millions more people, inviting in ALL the world's over 2 billion impoverished doesn't provide us the standard of living we as Americans want because there is no way those 2 billion have the ability to provide for their families here.

Why should the USA completely destroy the environment, the lakes, the ecology simply to bring in billions of people? For what reason?

Old 01-10-2010, 01:11 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,901,911 times
No, it doesn't make sense. You are asking Americans to sacrifice their right to a single family home to accomodate foreigners. Just whose country is this anyway?

There is no RIGHT to a single family mcmansion. In fact, it's this misallocation of resources (suburbia) that is causing the water crisis in the SW.

Respect their decision to stay or migrate to this country? That's just fine if they do it legally. Why don't they respect our right to immigration laws?

Obviously the laws need to change to reflect the current situation.

There is more at stake here than money and all this so-called profit you talk about will be eaten up by those at the poverty level that will suck our resources dry. They are already doing it. You have tunnel vision for this country but then those with an open border agenda usually do. The problem is that they only hold this country to an open borders stance. I asked why don't you strive for immigrants to stay in their own countries and fix them? The silence was deafening.

You don't really know the term "tunnel vision" do you? If you did, you might actually address all the variables and related topics. Instead, everything is the fault of the illegal immigrant population. Open border agenda? Nobody is advocating completely open borders. People are saying that maybe we should reevaluate the means and methods we conduct immigration.

As for immigrants fixing their home countries, they in fact are by sending money back to thier home countries. This equalizes the wealth divide. Although it's more like a bandage fix, this at least somewhat creates more parity in the short term.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
No, it doesn't make sense. You are asking Americans to sacrifice their right to a single family home to accomodate foreigners. Just whose country is this anyway?

There is no RIGHT to a single family mcmansion. In fact, it's this misallocation of resources (suburbia) that is causing the water crisis in the SW.

Respect their decision to stay or migrate to this country? That's just fine if they do it legally. Why don't they respect our right to immigration laws?

Obviously the laws need to change to reflect the current situation.

There is more at stake here than money and all this so-called profit you talk about will be eaten up by those at the poverty level that will suck our resources dry. They are already doing it. You have tunnel vision for this country but then those with an open border agenda usually do. The problem is that they only hold this country to an open borders stance. I asked why don't you strive for immigrants to stay in their own countries and fix them? The silence was deafening.

You don't really know the term "tunnel vision" do you? If you did, you might actually address all the variables and related topics. Instead, everything is the fault of the illegal immigrant population. Open border agenda? Nobody is advocating completely open borders. People are saying that maybe we should reevaluate the means and methods we conduct immigration.

As for immigrants fixing their home countries, they in fact are by sending money back to thier home countries. This equalizes the wealth divide. Although it's more like a bandage fix, this at least somewhat creates more parity in the short term.
There is no right for billions of people to move to the USA. There are immigration laws for that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration