U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 05:20 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times

Advertisements

U.S. Population, 2010: 308 Million and Growing

December 30, 2009 10:50 AM ET | Robert Schlesinger | Permanent Link | Print
By Robert Schlesinger, Thomas Jefferson Street blog
The United States will enter 2010 with a population of more than 308.4 million, according to a U.S. Census Bureau estimate. (Actually, their estimate is 308,400,408--they're nothing if not precise.) That's a 2.6 million person increase--0.9 percent--from their estimate entering 2009. Further, they estimate one new birth every eight seconds and one death every 12 seconds, so in the time it took you to read this far, there have been three births and two deaths. Those figures are unchanged from the start of 2009. The rate at which immigrants enter the country has changed, marginally, down to one every 37 seconds in 2010 from one every 36 seconds in 2009. Make of that what you will. Overall, the Census folks figure that those trends add up to one person being added to the U.S. population every 14 seconds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 05:28 PM

More on this:

The Global Footprint Network [GFN] defines ecological footprint as "a resource management tool that measures how much land and water area a human population requires to produce the resources it consumes and to absorb its wastes under prevailing technology."

Approximately 24 acres of planet earth’s surface area are required to produce the resources consumed and to assimilate the waste generated by every American each year. Interestingly, America’s "biocapacity", the domestic US surface area available to produce resources for consumption and to assimilate resulting waste, is only 11.6 acres per capita—leaving an "ecological deficit" of 12.4 acres per capita.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:31 PM

More:

We, and the world, need immediate changes in population reduction, raising retirement ages, illegal immigration and a number of other social problems. The interesting free ebook series "In Search of Utopia" (". . .and Gulliver Returns" --In Search of Utopia--) covers many of them. Definitely a must read.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:54 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
I always thought it was odd that more talk hasn't gone on about how illegal immigration at this rate is just going to be an unnecessary growth to population. It's already overcrowded in a lot of places, like on the road, the neighborhoods and in schools. It makes no sense to ignore that and just do nothing about illegal immigration. Sometimes I do think the government is doing things on purpose to lead to drastic changes. All those intelligent and well educated people in Washington and they choose to do nothing about these things or never address them? Something has to be up with that. Also, that is WAY too many people to have been added in that short amount of time. That's ridiculous when you use that rate in deciding the population over time for the future.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:00 PM

313 posts, read 295,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I always thought it was odd that more talk hasn't gone on about how illegal immigration at this rate is just going to be an unnecessary growth to population. It's already overcrowded in a lot of places, like on the road, the neighborhoods and in schools. It makes no sense to ignore that and just do nothing about illegal immigration. Sometimes I do think the government is doing things on purpose to lead to drastic changes. All those intelligent and well educated people in Washington and they choose to do nothing about these things or never address them? Something has to be up with that. Also, that is WAY too many people to have been added in that short amount of time. That's ridiculous when you use that rate in deciding the population over time for the future.
Overcrowded compared to where? Even in densely populated areas in California and the west coast, many people own homes with back yards and garages. THat's not including the vast expanse of space between in the midwest.

The only areas that are densely populated to where people are living on top of each other is certain areas of old cities in the midwest and east coast.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
Overcrowded compared to where? Even in densely populated areas in California and the west coast, many people own homes with back yards and garages. THat's not including the vast expanse of space between in the midwest.

The only areas that are densely populated to where people are living on top of each other is certain areas of old cities in the midwest and east coast.
So ... those don't matter? What's the point of your post and asking me that if you acknowledge that overcrowding is happening? Most people in an area that has gone through a huge illegal immigration population influx will tell you that they feel the effects of that population. If illegal immigration is allowed to continue like has been happening then more and more cities will resemble the cities of today that are going through their whole illegal immigration influx.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:06 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,476,861 times
the US isn't overpopulated, in fact the US could probably hold twice it's population and still not be over crowded but of course you have to blame this on those nasty illegals.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
the US isn't overpopulated, in fact the US could probably hold twice it's population and still not be over crowded but of course you have to blame this on those nasty illegals.
In response to you and Arpayaso, my comment is about specific areas that are becoming or already are overcrowded. When I say overcrowded, I'm not using technical terms, I'm talking about the visual evidence. For instance in some city's roads, schools and the neighborhoods. I said this before in my post earlier. Like, if you go to a venue and there is crazy traffic or inside the crowd is moving slow, you'll be like, "It's crowded." That's how it feels in some cities, the next year and the next year, it has gotten worse.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:11 PM

313 posts, read 295,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
So ... those don't matter? What's the point of your post and asking me that if you acknowledge that overcrowding is happening? Most people in an area that has gone through a huge illegal immigration population influx will tell you that they feel the effects of that population. If illegal immigration is allowed to continue like has been happening then more and more cities will resemble the cities of today that are going through their whole illegal immigration influx.
What do you mean if they matter? They are like that because that's how they were designed(the older, east coast cities).

We are not an overcrowded country. Populations are barely starting to shift with more people moving into the Sun Belt and the Midwest.
There is plenty of room.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
What do you mean if they matter? They are like that because that's how they were designed(the older, east coast cities).

We are not an overcrowded country. Populations are barely starting to shift with more people moving into the Sun Belt and the Midwest.
There is plenty of room.
Reread my last post. I already said that I'm not talking about the country being overcrowded now and said that in my first post. Calm down. Also, yea, there is plenty of room, plenty of room for legal natural born citizens and legal immigrants. That's who the room is for. Not illegal immigrants.

Last edited by SoEdible; 12-31-2009 at 06:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or