Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 05:11 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times

Advertisements

What do you think about someone who comes over legally on a visa, gets sick the next year, realizes there is free medical care here for him, so keeps applying for and getting medical visas? Some of us are arguing this and I'm trying to find out approximately how long a visitor visa is good for, and how long can you keep getting it extended? I've looked everywhere for this info and can't find it. This man came over in 2000, so he's been here going into his 10th year. Looks like he may have had his last extension. Should you deport a sick person who needs the medical care here that is not provided in his country?

I think he's already received more free treatment than a lot of American citizens have. What do you think?

Tulsa World: Family fears deportation will lead to death
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 05:15 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Now hold on. We would be doing him a favor by deporting him. Havn't you heard? Our medical system is terrible. Its very bad and needs to be fixed by Obama and comapny. That won't happen until 2013. We should save him by deporting him. It would be the humane thing to do.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:15 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
What do you think about someone who comes over legally on a visa, gets sick the next year, realizes there is free medical care here for him, so keeps applying for and getting medical visas? Some of us are arguing this and I'm trying to find out approximately how long a visitor visa is good for, and how long can you keep getting it extended? I've looked everywhere for this info and can't find it. This man came over in 2000, so he's been here going into his 10th year. Looks like he may have had his last extension. Should you deport a sick person who needs the medical care here that is not provided in his country?

I think he's already received more free treatment than a lot of American citizens have. What do you think?

Tulsa World: Family fears deportation will lead to death
My view on this is pretty harsh, straight forward and likley unpopular with many; if I as a US citizen cannot get free health care, then he needs to go home.

Sorry if I've offended anyone but come on...seriously?

Old 01-10-2010, 05:23 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
My view on this is pretty harsh, straight forward and likley unpopular with many; if I as a US citizen cannot get free health care, then he needs to go home.

Sorry if I've offended anyone but come on...seriously?
No you are exactly right to feel as you do.
Some would offer as a solution to reward illegals with amnesty and a quick path to citizenship. We all know what that did for us in 1986. Some folks enjoy repeating mistakes. Not me.
Years ago I built a Jeep from the frame up. I figured that I am a pretty fair mechanic and it would be a great project.
It was fun. It also cost about double what I planned on.
The same will be true of another amnesty. Illegals will all pay their fair share of taxes. Doubtful at best. They have learned how to work under the table and pay no taxes. Why change? Why forfiet 1/3 of thier incomes? Not going to happen.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:32 PM

I hold the same opinion as you. I know many sick Americans who can't get the care they need for financial reasons, and they die right here in the their own country. Many more have to choose between medical care or food. And who knows how many Americans have lost everything they had because of medical hardships? It will never cease to amaze me that an illegals medical bills are free, and ours aren't, in our own country! I looked at the comments below the story. There aren't many yet, but it sounds like a couple have a lot of sympathy for the guy. I want to be knowledgeable about a couple of things before I post to that comment section.

Last edited by Jess5; 01-10-2010 at 05:47 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 06:52 PM

I thought illegal immigrants get free organ transplants? The ones on Medicaid do. They get to go right to the top in front of Americans who don't have enough money. How can anyone justify illegals getting free organ transplants while Americans just over the poverty line don't get them, and still try to work so they'll have insurance and to pay for the illegals medical bills? There's not a bit of sense in that. No wonder other countries think we're not too smart!

Illegal Immigrants Get Free Organ Transplants | Judicial Watch

Old 01-10-2010, 06:56 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
He's NOT an illegal - he was here on a VALID visa when he became ill and since then has applied for and received visas extending his stay. The reason he is being deported is because his last application to have a visa extended has failed. So no, not "another illegal sob story" - but it's also not the USA's responsibility to what? allow him to stay here long enough to have a transplant that should go to a legal citizen or resident? I don't think so.

Bad enough we're already giving dialysis and organ transplants to illegals and home grown criminals, don't see why we should include visitors in that as well.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:07 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
He's NOT an illegal - he was here on a VALID visa when he became ill and since then has applied for and received visas extending his stay. The reason he is being deported is because his last application to have a visa extended has failed. So no, not "another illegal sob story" - but it's also not the USA's responsibility to what? allow him to stay here long enough to have a transplant that should go to a legal citizen or resident? I don't think so.

Bad enough we're already giving dialysis and organ transplants to illegals and home grown criminals, don't see why we should include visitors in that as well.
I agree. He may not be illegal but he's not a citizen either. I have no problem helping others but charity starts at home. Lets take care of our citizens without health care THEN we may be able to start selecting some others who may need it.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:59 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,053 times
Hospital defends secretly deporting patient - Health care- msnbc.com

This guy was put on a plane at the hospital's expense and sent back to where he came from. It was more economically reasonable for the hospital to charter a plane and send him back than to continue treatment for years to come.

The guy now lives with his relative and walks up a mountain to get to the house.

The courts sided with the hospital.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:25 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
They didn't "deport" him, they just paid for him to go home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration