U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 01:11 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"With leaders from across the country, we will assemble a bipartisan coalition to support President Obama's call for comprehensive immigration reform that honors our history, upholds our values, and promotes our economy," Bloomberg said upon being sworn in for his third term as mayor.

"We're committing what I call national suicide," Bloomberg said on the NBC's "Meet the Press" last Sunday. "Somehow or other, after 9/11 we went from reaching out and trying to get the best and the brightest to come here, to trying to keep them out."

"In fact, we do the stupidest thing, we give them educations and then don't give them green cards."
NY Mayor Bloomberg to promote immigration reform | Reuters

The best and the brightest? Please. It’s more like the bottom of the barrel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 02:30 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Can you even begin to IMAGINE the US actually adopting a policy of seeking out "the Best and the Brightest" of other societies, and inducing them to come here....while excluding the "worst, the less-than-average, the stupid, the uneducated, and the dull".... I mean actually SAYING that, and implementing official immigration policies to enact such a program? People would FAINT IN THE STREETS !!..Illegals would STORM THE WHITE HOUSE !!...the media would have a FIELD DAY, the ACLU would go apoplectic, and BIRDS WOULD FALL FROM THE SKY !! (Actually, many countries DO select their immigrants...but we're not 'other countries'.).

Mister Mayor, I'm surprised at you! Do you THINK, before you speak? America being allowed to seek out the 'best and the brightest'? Are you KIDDING, sir? What happened to the 'poor, unwashed, storm-tossed, downtrodden, and hungry'?

What if we changed the name 'Manhattan' to "Fantasy Island'?.....I mean, come ON, Mr Mayor!....

(seriously, can anyone imagine the reaction to the US telling other nations, in effect, "WE have your best and your brightest...the losers, you're welcome to keep"....Wow !!...talk about a 'PC' nightmare!)

Thank you, Mayor Bloomberg, for the entertainment.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:56 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Can you even begin to IMAGINE the US actually adopting a policy of seeking out "the Best and the Brightest" of other societies, and inducing them to come here....while excluding the "worst, the less-than-average, the stupid, the uneducated, and the dull".... I mean actually SAYING that, and implementing official immigration policies to enact such a program? People would FAINT IN THE STREETS !!..Illegals would STORM THE WHITE HOUSE !!...the media would have a FIELD DAY, the ACLU would go apoplectic, and BIRDS WOULD FALL FROM THE SKY !! (Actually, many countries DO select their immigrants...but we're not 'other countries'.).

Mister Mayor, I'm surprised at you! Do you THINK, before you speak? America being allowed to seek out the 'best and the brightest'? Are you KIDDING, sir? What happened to the 'poor, unwashed, storm-tossed, downtrodden, and hungry'?

What if we changed the name 'Manhattan' to "Fantasy Island'?.....I mean, come ON, Mr Mayor!....

(seriously, can anyone imagine the reaction to the US telling other nations, in effect, "WE have your best and your brightest...the losers, you're welcome to keep"....Wow !!...talk about a 'PC' nightmare!)

Actually, I wouldn’t object to having immigrants who are indeed the “best and the brightest.” However, as we all know, the “immigration reform” Bloomberg supports (CIR ASAP) will legalize millions of the illiterate and criminal populations of Mexico and other countries. They are a far cry from being the best and/or the brightest, by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:29 PM

1,150 posts, read 991,058 times
<<"In fact, we do the stupidest thing, we give them educations and then don't give them green cards." >>

Stop educating them. Problem solved.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:36 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
"Somehow or other, after 9/11 we went from reaching out and trying to get the best and the brightest to come here, to trying to keep them out."

So after 9/11 we stopped inviting the best and the brightest to come here through LEGAL immigraton but instead we are trying to keep them out? Put down the crackpipe, Bloomberg.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:41 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
I am confused. How is sealing our border and keeping low or unskilled uneducated illegals out equal to not seeking out the brightest and the best immigrants?
Bloomberg is a political prostitute. Nothing more need be said.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:31 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
I swear they talk without thinking first. We aren't getting the best and brightest. We are getting the poorest and lowest-skilled. But, yea, this is the start of all the endorsements.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:46 PM

313 posts, read 295,172 times
Public opinion continues to turn, as the hammer keeps dropping.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:00 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,593,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

The best and brightest do not all want to come here. More and more the real opportunity is in the fast growing nations like China and India. They build more skyscrapers in a week than the USA builds in a year. They have economies that outgrow ours by 3 to 1. The USA is a mature country with an aging population. The only thing the USA will be building is nursing homes. Same with most of Europe. We have had our day in the sunshine.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:02 PM

2,868 posts, read 4,041,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
"Somehow or other, after 9/11 we went from reaching out and trying to get the best and the brightest to come here, to trying to keep them out."

So after 9/11 we stopped inviting the best and the brightest to come here through LEGAL immigraton but instead we are trying to keep them out? Put down the crackpipe, Bloomberg.
That's funny, LOL. This guy's high on power!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or