U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:04 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,582,217 times

Advertisements

I am reading our local Spanish newsletter right now and one of the segments titled "En la Calle" ("in the streets") asks people what they think about a specific question. The question this week was, "What do you think of undocumented immigrants being excluded from the Health Reform bill?" Here is one of the answers:

Quote:
"How quick Obama forgot his ancestors were slaves that also lived socially excluded and without rights, now seems OK to apply the same doses to immigrants, this is unacceptable."
I've heard or read some people use American Slavery, The Civil Rights Movement and what those of African descent went through within The United States to support their demand for immigration reform and amnesty. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see how people who chose to illegally enter (not being forced) into the United States of today are in any way the same as slaves or Black Americans who were legal citizens of The United States, but had to fight for equality.

It seems to me that this is just another play on the hearts of people to get them to support illegal immigrants. As someone who is Black American, it kinda bothers me when I hear illegal immigrants or those who support illegal immigrants try to make that comparison. I feel that they have no place or right to even put those who were forcibly and unfairly forced into labor or those who were natural-born citizens in the United States, but were discriminated against, on the same level as people who are illegal immigrants. They are trying to piggy back on The Civil Rights Movement and slavery, but they are totally different battles.

Thoughts?

Last edited by SoEdible; 01-01-2010 at 07:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 07:10 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Hmmm.
Slaves were forced to come here. No choice. Illegals came of their own free will and can leave at any time. Slaves had no such choice.
The analogy Laraza makes is flawed and enflamatory at best.
Illegals are socially excluded due to their own actions. Had they bothered to enter legally they would be at no such disadvantage.
In short the plight of the illegal is a self inflicted gunshot wound.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:15 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Their attempts to hijack the Civil Rights Movement, and their inane comparison of illegal aliens to our former slaves, only exemplifies their level of desperation, and their lack of anything remotely substantive to defend illegal immigration.

I am also a Black American, and I consider it an affront.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Hmmm.
Slaves were forced to come here. No choice. Illegals came of their own free will and can leave at any time. Slaves had no such choice.
The analogy Laraza makes is flawed and enflamatory at best.
Illegals are socially excluded due to their own actions. Had they bothered to enter legally they would be at no such disadvantage.
In short the plight of the illegal is a self inflicted gunshot wound.
Exactly, they chose to come here. They can even say, "Things are hard where we are from." Come on now, get real, this is the modern world, nations can't be affording to help everyone or be some free-for-all, open border country for all of those to enter when they please. I don't know how anyone can't see why we can't take on that responsibility. As I said before, it really kinda pisses me off when I see them equate illegal immigrants to African slaves and Black Americans who were actually born here and were legal, hard-working people of the early 1900s and throughout the Civil Rights Movement, Jim Crow days. Black Americans were US Citizens.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:31 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I am reading our local Spanish newsletter right now and one of the segments titled "En la Calle" ("in the streets") asks people what they think about a specific question. The question this week was, "What do you think of undocumented immigrants being excluded from the Health Reform bill?" Here is one of the answers:

I've heard or read some people use American Slavery, The Civil Rights Movement and what those of African descent went through within The United States to support their demand for immigration reform and amnesty. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see how people who chose to illegally enter (not being forced) into the United States of today are in any way the same as slaves or Black Americans who were legal citizens of The United States, but had to fight for equality.

It seems to me that this is just another play on the hearts of people to get them to support illegal immigrants. As someone who is Black American, it kinda bothers me when I hear illegal immigrants or those who support illegal immigrants try to make that comparison. I feel that they have no place or right to even put those who were forcibly and unfairly forced into labor or those who were natural-born citizens in the United States, but were discriminated against, on the same level as people who are illegal immigrants. They are trying to piggy back on The Civil Rights Movement and slavery, but they are totally different battles.

Thoughts?
It ticks me off also. Black Americans were fighting for their rights as citizens. There is no comparing that to illegal invaders violating our borders and then making demands on our country.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It ticks me off also. Black Americans were fighting for their rights as citizens. There is no comparing that to illegal invaders violating our borders and then making demands on our country.
Thank you. That's why it always pisses me off when I hear illegal immigrants and the pro-illegal immigration groups even mention Black Americans in their scam. I just want to jump through the television. It's insulting and it is degrading. Black Americans in the Civil Rights days were proud and were trying to get things moving for a equal life as fellow citizens.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:15 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,790,445 times
everyone tries to compare something to slavery and civil rights. gays were saying the "gay movement" was the same thing as the civil rights movement last year during that whole gay marriage period.

i agree that whatever the "illegal immigrant" movement or struggle (or whatever its called) is unlike slavery or the civil rights movement. however a lot of people believe that they're just greedy leeches out to take advantage of everything, and ignore the circumstances that forced them to risk their lives by crossing the border illegally.
a lot of immigrants come because their country has been devastated by one reason or the other, in many occasions by unnecessary us intervention in their affairs which in turn turned their country (and economies and so forth) to crap. with that said, we as tax payers do have a right to complain that some of these illegal immigrants are taking advantage of the loopholes in the health care system. i also do not believe they are "entitled" to free health care/coverage; but i do acknowledge that it is not as simple as "omg they are just here to destroy the country by freeloading. gasp. invaders." it is more complicated than that.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:25 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
everyone tries to compare something to slavery and civil rights. gays were saying the "gay movement" was the same thing as the civil rights movement last year during that whole gay marriage period.

i agree that whatever the "illegal immigrant" movement or struggle (or whatever its called) is unlike slavery or the civil rights movement. however a lot of people believe that they're just greedy leeches out to take advantage of everything, and ignore the circumstances that forced them to risk their lives by crossing the border illegally.
a lot of immigrants come because their country has been devastated by one reason or the other, in many occasions by unnecessary us intervention in their affairs which in turn turned their country (and economies and so forth) to crap. with that said, we as tax payers do have a right to complain that some of these illegal immigrants are taking advantage of the loopholes in the health care system. i also do not believe they are "entitled" to free health care/coverage; but i do acknowledge that it is not as simple as "omg they are just here to destroy the country by freeloading. gasp. invaders." it is more complicated than that.
Indeed it is complicated. However, this situation has now become not only unsustainable, but it is totally out of control. Should we accept every foreigner seeking a better life, from every country the U.S. may have negatively impacted?

Old 01-01-2010, 10:23 PM

3,847 posts, read 3,161,032 times
The Pro-Illegal movement is looking for an American taxpayer funded free ride.Why doesn't La Raza,The Imaginary mythical forces of Aztlan and all their hermanos take on the root cause of their problem "Mexico" ? It's because Mexico's Government couldn't care less.They would rather have stupid liberal Americans foot the bill and they know the Mexican Goverment would laugh at their demands.
The slavery comparisons are insulting to the millions of Americans descended from real slaves,not volunteer ones. The party is OVER.Time to go back and get in line. Welfare Queens,Gang Bangers,Drug Dealers,Criminals and Foreign Nationalists need not apply.We need to screen all undesireables out. Obama and his cronies can promise the world,it's a little more complicated then that.Immigrants who follow our laws and wish to better the USA are welcome LEGALLY.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:56 AM

1,150 posts, read 990,803 times
<<"How quick Obama forgot his ancestors were slaves that also lived socially excluded and without rights, now seems OK to apply the same doses to immigrants, this is unacceptable." >>

I wasn't aware Kenyans had slaves that were socially excluded, and without rights. What's unacceptable is claiming Obama's ancestors were slaves when it's simply not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or