Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 12:32 PM

58 posts, read 193,013 times

Advertisements

In reply to "Latin" culture in South Florida, I post this thread on the American "culture," or lack thereof, that I've seen in South Florida.
American "culture" is as diverse as the individuals who comprise it. There are the educated as well the ignorant.
I know that there are many on this forum that are educated. Unfortunately, many that post here, as is there right, are not, yet, too few stand up and voice sensible opinions.
How many here realize that it is the idiotic and in many cases illegal US foreign policy in Central / South America and the Caribbean that has resulted in the immigration in Florida that they so bitterly lament? How many realize that billions have been sucked out of the middle class in Florida from the real estate pyramid scheme? Yet, do those that rant in this forum rail against the political system/corrupt politicians? No, they rant and spew venon against stereotypes they no nothing about.
Without making it into a general political forum and thereby moved elsewhere, a discussion could take place on US policies that effect Florida without the prejudiced/racist remarks I so often read in this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 01:20 PM

184 posts, read 609,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaBreeze View Post
In reply to "Latin" culture in South Florida, I post this thread on the American "culture," or lack thereof, that I've seen in South Florida.
American "culture" is as diverse as the individuals who comprise it. There are the educated as well the ignorant.
I know that there are many on this forum that are educated. Unfortunately, many that post here, as is there right, are not, yet, too few stand up and voice sensible opinions.
How many here realize that it is the idiotic and in many cases illegal US foreign policy in Central / South America and the Caribbean that has resulted in the immigration in Florida that they so bitterly lament? How many realize that billions have been sucked out of the middle class in Florida from the real estate pyramid scheme? Yet, do those that rant in this forum rail against the political system/corrupt politicians? No, they rant and spew venon against stereotypes they no nothing about.
Without making it into a general political forum and thereby moved elsewhere, a discussion could take place on US policies that effect Florida without the prejudiced/racist remarks I so often read in this forum.
Whoaah , excellent post you bring up very valid points .... example the Cuban wet foot dry foot policy is absurd ... why make exceptions for them and not other immigrant groups .... they should be returned to their homeland as well .

Why are immigrants from other areas in the Caribbean and South America overstaying visas thus being here illegally ... because our frickin government
has done nothing to punish those hiring illegals . Miami is the third world city that it is due to these problems mainly generated by both local and federal politicians .

Old 05-22-2007, 01:50 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,369,037 times
I agree the wet foot dry foot policy is an unfair policy, to any other immigrant. One group of people is allowed to stay, yet people from other countries are sent back.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:13 PM

Default That's true

I also disagree with the wet /dry foot policy.
And I'm Cuban!
Nobody has pointed this out yet, so I will: the person this policy helps most in the entire planet is Castro himself; it gives him a release valve when the unrest gets too heavy.
I've talked too many that left the island and they all agree. If Castro had not been able to send his political prisoners, political dissidents and those who who where just fed up here to the U.S., then he would not have been able to survive.
Instead what happens? He sends those that could oppose him here and then sends the scum of his jails! For good measure he also sends plenty of spies, as well reported by the Herald.
The effect on South Florida of Mariel in 79 was horrible. People forget about the 82 mass immigration, no better.
The present policy only serves Castro. It does not serve the U.S. It definitely does not help Florida and it doesn't even help the Cuban refugees that wish for a free Cuba.
In a perfect, or at least a better world, Charlie Crist would sue Washington for the cost to Florida of illegal immigrants. The stupid dry/wet policy would disapper also.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:47 PM

158 posts, read 645,626 times
^^^Excellent points!

Old 05-22-2007, 08:01 PM

929 posts, read 1,147,246 times
wow. i never thought of that. thanks for the insight!

Old 05-22-2007, 08:18 PM

15 posts, read 110,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanj28 View Post
send them cubans back home I dont care.
send ALL the ingorant racist, close minded people up north! there are good and bad in all races

Old 05-22-2007, 08:44 PM

159 posts, read 801,870 times
I wouldn't mind them sending a couple Cubans back.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:52 PM

929 posts, read 1,147,246 times
"send ALL the ingorant racist, close minded people up north! there are good and bad in all races"

i agree with that. i just wish i wasnt surrounded by so many bad latin racist people.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
"send ALL the ingorant racist, close minded people up north! there are good and bad in all races"

i agree with that. i just wish i wasnt surrounded by so many bad latin racist people.
There are those too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration