U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2010, 05:00 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687

Advertisements

Tightening up at the border - SignOnSanDiego.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2010, 01:40 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
One reason it increased (using false documents) is that the black market supplying false documents has expanded and for just $500 you can buy a laser visa with a picture ID and that is like a swipe card that you use to get in the fast lane and have no inspection on your vehicle.

The criminal rings supplying these even help the purchaser select one with a picture they most resemble, or gives the buyer hints like if they shave the moustache or grow one, cut their hair a little different and so on.

These laser visas were often sold by their original holders because you can sell them, declare them lost or stolen and have the replacement in about a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 05:40 PM
 
313 posts, read 295,115 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
One reason it increased (using false documents) is that the black market supplying false documents has expanded and for just $500 you can buy a laser visa with a picture ID and that is like a swipe card that you use to get in the fast lane and have no inspection on your vehicle.

The criminal rings supplying these even help the purchaser select one with a picture they most resemble, or gives the buyer hints like if they shave the moustache or grow one, cut their hair a little different and so on.

These laser visas were often sold by their original holders because you can sell them, declare them lost or stolen and have the replacement in about a week.
Source?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
Source?
Are you saying you can't believe that this happens? Come now fraud and forgery are almost as old as prostitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 06:51 PM
 
313 posts, read 295,115 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Are you saying you can't believe that this happens? Come now fraud and forgery are almost as old as prostitution.
Come now, I ask for a source.
It's easy to paint the most negative picture as possible, as be seen as an authority. If it wasn't for that pesky need for FACTS and how they actually relate to the issue at hand.

Plus, his claims are a little more specific than saying fraud and forgery exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
Come now, I ask for a source.
It's easy to paint the most negative picture as possible, as be seen as an authority. If it wasn't for that pesky need for FACTS and how they actually relate to the issue at hand.

Plus, his claims are a little more specific than saying fraud and forgery exists.
I see your point. However:
Mexican military: Visa sale scheme lasted 5 years - El Paso Times
http://www.dhs.gov/xoig/assets/press/OIGpr_052908.pdf (broken link)
http://www.ilw.com/immigdaily/news/2009,1111-crs.pdf
There are actually quite a few links available.
It does happen, and it does happen quite a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:04 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
Reputation: 47449
we need to use thumb print live scan on everybody. at all check points everywhere. this will build a history. a reliable data base.
kerry was right we have had the technology for years but not the volition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
Come now, I ask for a source.
It's easy to paint the most negative picture as possible, as be seen as an authority. If it wasn't for that pesky need for FACTS and how they actually relate to the issue at hand.

Plus, his claims are a little more specific than saying fraud and forgery exists.
Quote:
United States immigration and State Department officials fear that their newly developed, high-tech visas are being sold on the Mexican black market. The US government hoped the newly designed visas would help in curtailing rampant illegal immigration at the Mexican border, but investigators believe many of them are being bought or rented by Mexicans seeking illegal entry into the US.

Well over 11,000 of these Laser Visas, issued to Mexicans for legitimate travel into the United States were reported stolen or "lost" in just two border cities in 2005. Government officials claim this is a 15 percent jump from 2004 figures.

Mexicans call these visa cards "Micas," which allow bearers to cross into the U.S. without other supporting documents. The card also allows them to travel up to 25 miles inside California or Texas and they may remain in the U.S. up to 30 days.

The paradox is that in an effort to beef up security at the Mexican border using state-of-the-art technology, the U.S. may have made it even easier to compromise that very security.

Recently, seven illegal aliens from Mexico were arrested for allegedly operating a fraudulent document ring in Chicago's "Little Village" area. The organized crime enterprise generated approximately $2.5 million a year.
Hawaii Reporter: Hawaii Reporter (http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story.aspx?28292c83-2a59-4c1f-aa58-318b00cc9454 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Hawaii Reporter: Hawaii Reporter (http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story.aspx?28292c83-2a59-4c1f-aa58-318b00cc9454 - broken link)
Do you have links to verify your links?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:43 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Do you have links to verify your links?



That's awesome.


Let's not feed the new troll who is a recently banned poster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top